Can you make a less expensive Strat feel/play/sound as good as a Custom Shop?

What's Hot

Comments

• lonestar said:

“Can you make a less expensive Strat feel/play/sound as good as a Custom Shop?”

Yes. 
    Care to share more?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:

Yes. 
    Care to share more?
    Sure. 

A well setup guitar with a good feeling neck is the starting point. If your fretting hand develops a relationship with the neck your playing experience will increase dramatically. The tonal outcome depends on your pickups and amplifier. But if you’re able to squeeze more out of your playing because of a good neck then everything else will become easier to finalise.

I haven’t bothered to read a single other comment btw so I have no idea what has been said.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27053
    I've considered upgrading my bitsa a bunch of times. I've played numerous CS strats and even vintage ones and I honestly wouldn't trade it for any of them. Obviously much of that is familiarity and sentimentality, but I stand by the end result. 

That said, I have a new neck on the way....
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lonestar said:
    lonestar said:

Yes. 
    Care to share more?
    Sure. 

A well setup guitar with a good feeling neck is the starting point. If your fretting hand develops a relationship with the neck your playing experience will increase dramatically. The tonal outcome depends on your pickups and amplifier. But if you’re able to squeeze more out of your playing because of a good neck then everything else will become easier to finalise.

I haven’t bothered to read a single other comment btw so I have no idea what has been said.
    Anyone in the UK able to work Start necks/frets in a way that'll make them feel as good as what you describe?

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    lonestar said:

Yes. 
    Care to share more?
    Sure. 

Anyone in the UK able to work Start necks/frets in a way that'll make them feel as good as what you describe?
    Yip, that’s what I do. Well, part of it. We either Strat with a fresh neck or strip existing necks, fine tune them, nitro them and break them in accordingly.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382

Be keen to hear thoughts from @WezV and @ICBM on this.
    My opinion is - yes, up to a point.

There does seem to be something in the idea that the CS guitars are built from better-chosen necks and bodies. That doesn't mean that you can't find a cheaper guitar with an equally good neck or body, although the chances of both together - so the whole thing resonates better - on the same guitar is probably lower. Whether that degree of selection is really carried out for the CS, I don't know.

I honestly believe all the rest is in the care of the finishing and assembly, and perhaps the artificial ageing process (not the faked wear) on the Relics, since they always seem to sound good. This is labour-intensive and does justify to an extent why the CS prices are high.

If true, what it means is that you *can* get a cheaper model to sound as good as a CS if you add the extra work, but you have to be lucky with the combination of neck and body in the first place. If you aren't, the best you will get is close. Maybe very close, but the CS guitars I've played have all been consistently better - interestingly, the 'team built light relics' more so than the 'masterbuilts' and 'heavy relics' which I have always found a bit average.

That said, the absolute best P-Bass I've ever played is my friend's bog standard off-the-shelf Mexican one. But he briefly had another - apparently identical model - one, which was a complete dog. I really don't think the dog could be made anywhere near as good as the one that is just great anyway, no matter how much work you do on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lonestar said:
    lonestar said:
    lonestar said:

Yes. 
    Care to share more?
    Sure. 

Yip, that’s what I do. Well, part of it. We either Strat with a fresh neck or strip existing necks, fine tune them, nitro them and break them in accordingly.
    Hmmm, this is good to know. I have thought about buying something close to what I want and getting the radius and frets redone with potential for relicing and breaking the neck in.

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1562
    You might be able to get close with enough work and tweaks, but I've always been impressed with Fender's CS guitars, especially the reliced ones which seem a cut above. I've owned a bunch of MIM Baja Teles, which people rave about, but to me they were not even close to the 3 CS Teles that I've owned over the years. In your shoes, I'd save up and get the real deal, and if it turned out not for you then you'd lose proportionally less money and find it easier to move on than a bitsa/ heavily modded guitar.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6702
    The Classic Player Strat has a 'custom shop designed' compound radius neck that is amazing. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Best strat I have owned is the strat plus I picked up on these forums . I have bought and sold a few strats including a masterbuilt one and the strat plus is my favourite  Hence why I have kept it  
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Is there anyone out there who owns a non CS Strat and doesn't feel it 'blows CS Strats out of the window'? 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4833
    edited June 2018
    I have a Classic Player 50's Mexi and a CS 1960, obviously the boards and neck are different so it's hard to directly compare (Maple/Rosewood, Poly/Nitro). I also have added a new cold rolled steel block to the Mexi and it's had a full on pro setup from Nige at Leicestershire Guitar Luthier. The CS is as bought so far, and I've spent less time with it too so far. 

Obviously the Classic Player was custom shop designed/influenced and its a great guitar, plays lovely, sounds lovely, light-ish nice and resonant. However whilst it's not night and day, the CS is easily a better guitar, as it should be of course, it was 5x the price new. It just resonates like a beast and it's light as a feather, and feels better quality too. Plugged in the pickups are way better than the classic player ones, and they are US pickups too. Money no object a CS is usually a better guitar but it doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, or that its not closer than you think.

I agree with above, if you start off with a good guitar whatever it is, you can improve it. If it's awful to begin with you can't polish a turd.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7180
    edited June 2018
    FS Vintage massively upgraded Tokai Strat, plays and sounds better than any custom shop strat I have ever seen or played. Will listen to sensible offers or swap for a custom shop strat.

etc....   :-)
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    I have a Mark Jenny with all the best neck and hardware,Fralins etc
    Its not as good as a Custom Shop.................it's miles better !
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    ICBM said:

There does seem to be something in the idea that the CS guitars are built from better-chosen necks and bodies. That doesn't mean that you can't find a cheaper guitar with an equally good neck or body, although the chances of both together - so the whole thing resonates better - on the same guitar is probably lower. Whether that degree of selection is really carried out for the CS, I don't know.

There's some good videos on how the Custom Shop choose the wood for the necks and bodies - very interesting. You don't get this at the lower end of the price range, which goes a fair way in explaining why you have to try loads before you find a good one. Parts 2 & 3 also worth a watch.

• My 90’s American Std Strat has been out of action for about 7 years now and this thread has just given me the kick in the arse I needed to get it back up to scratch. Just ordered a Wudtone Vintage trem conversion and are now looking for some new tuners (non-locking suggestions welcome). It needs a new nut and the fretwork and finish on the fingerboard needs addressed. Very excited to make this guitar all it can be
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    My 90’s American Std Strat has been out of action for about 7 years now and this thread has just given me the kick in the arse I needed to get it back up to scratch. Just ordered a Wudtone Vintage trem conversion and are now looking for some new tuners (non-locking suggestions welcome).
    The stock tuners on these are very good, and difficult to replace cleanly because of the unique fitting to the headstock. I wouldn’t change them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    I stopped looking (well almost stopped) after I got my Angry Angus Strat a few years ago on here... I do tend to sound like me whatever I play through, which can be quite liberating and frustrating at the same time. :s
  • tone1 said:
    I stopped looking (well almost stopped) after I got my Angry Angus Strat a few years ago on here... I do tend to sound like me whatever I play through, which can be quite liberating and frustrating at the same time. :s
    This is true, very true!

I'd like to think I sound like a better version of me when playing a three grand guitar though! ;-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    tone1 said:
    This is true, very true!

I'd like to think I sound like a better version of me when playing a three grand guitar though! ;-)
    It's the dream. Unless the better guitar is more articulate and dynamic resulting in it being easier to hear my ham fisted 'technique'. 

Maybe I need a worse quality guitar?