Any thoughts on this j45?

What's Hot
teradaterada Frets: 5113
Plays and sounds lovely (but so do many guitars).

But I can't make my mind up on the looks. Any thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wesker123wesker123 Frets: 494
    It's the pickguard.....too big. The smaller more restrained ones look better to me.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    wesker123 said:
    It's the pickguard.....too big. The smaller more restrained ones look better to me.
    good point. The ebony was my first moment of uncertainty, as I went looking for the traditional sunburst look.

hmmm
    also the legs and trainers are odd  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14256
    The large 'guard is trying to evoke a Sixties variant.

Knowing the adhesive type would be useful. Perhaps, a skilled luthier could remove the white 'guard without affecting the finish beneath?

Alternatively, delve further into that Sixties vibe. Commission somebody to decorate the 'guard in the style of The Fool on Clapton's SG.
    Be seeing you.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33713
    I can't get on with the bridge looking like it is on backwards either.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24791
    In the words of Danii Minogue,”It’s a ‘no’ from me”.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Yeah, it's minging. Looks cheap, bridge and fretboard wood don't suit the colour of the soundboard - both too light. I quite like that shape of pickguard in tort on a natural finish like the old C&W but that white one looks nasty. But if it plays outstandingly well none of this should matter...
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Grab it. It looks like it was designed by Stevie Wonder. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71864
    Very nice, apart from the fingerboard and bridge being much too pale and dry-looking - but that could easily be fixed.

Definitely has a very 60s ‘TV’ aspect to it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    Strangely, I like it. Would stand out nicely on stage too.

I usually find J45s a bit meh but I played an ‘18 one recently and it was actually very good sounding. Still looked like it had been made by the apprentice, as most of them do!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3731
    Gotta be sunburst.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26677
    Get a black or tort guard on there and it’d be gorgeous. 

But you need to play it first...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    If you are asking the question, then you are not sure, so probably better to keep your money in the pocket.
    I had an option of buying a custom shop J45 in a strange red colour for a good price but I just couldn't make my mind up about the colour so didn't go for it and now I realise that was the right choice.
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    I think it looks amazing ! Really "country". I love it. I have a sunburst J-45 but would happily have this one.
    But ultimately its your choice.. and if you're asking others what they think it probably answers your own question right ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4705
    I like it. You won't be looking at it from this angle when you play it, will you... 
    Thanks for all the thoughts!

It did play exceptionally well, and sounded very nice indeed. I compared it with a number of other guitars including another j45 and some martin and taylor guitars and it certainly sounded great.

I never disliked the look, just went in to get a sunburst so it took me by surprise. I am enjoying the way it divides opinion though - it has been in the shop for a while ;) 

I've got a couple others on reserve elsewhere so am going to play some more j45s and then make a decision.
    And the search continues!

Played another couple today, both looked great to me, one had a great action and played well, but sounded a bit thin. the other was much more resonant and full, but felt stiffer to play!

Going to try some more out hopefully over the week.

Cheeky pic of one of them:

• LewyLewy Frets: 4101
    terada said:
    one had a great action and played well, but sounded a bit thin. the other was much more resonant and full, but felt stiffer to play!

Yep, that’s pretty much how that goes....
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    I sold a lovely old J45 some years ago, I quickly realised that I missed having one around, so began a search that lasted a long time. I just couldn't find 1) a modern version that had the vibe of the old one  they all seemed to be more contemporary generic compressed, bright sounding or 2) a vintage one without issues. I had all but given up when I came across a Collings CJ35SB. It's lightly built, has a chunky neck, it's short scale and is everything I was looking for and more. It's less compressed than modern Gibsons, has a lot of headroom, and works for both ftatpick and finger style stuff. It does manage to keep that big slightly dry thump in the bass when played that way. Like any Collings it's also put together very well

https://i.imgur.com/4ZymDkh.jpg
    I've played loads of 45s now!

I had a quick question though, one of the ones I played plays and sounds brilliant. Super comfy on my hand which is important as I have wrist issues.

However checking the intonation at the 12th fret showed it to be slightly out across the board. Can this be corrected on an acoustic?

Secondly, how much scope is there to alter set ups after purchase to get a very playable feel and low action?