Simon McBride

What's Hot
dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
just back from his gig at the Tunnels in Bristol. Superb. Vastly underated guitarist in my view. Surprised you can still see him at small venues for £12.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Gonna go see him in York tomorrow.  Truth be told I've not heard much of his stuff but I know he's an awesome player.  And you're right, £12 is a bargain!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307

I like his playing too and thought he sounded particularly good on this clip (I can hear Lukather and Moore). Good phrasing and a melodic player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcwdDxFeRdM

• ^ That first bit of playing sounds to me like what Joe Bonamassa would sound like if (a) he opened up the tone control on his guitars instead of muffling his tone and (b) he didn't stick to his smallish collection of stock runs that pepper almost every solo he plays.

(Don't get me wrong, if I played and sounded like Joe Bonamassa I certainly wouldn't be throwing myself under a Blackpool tram with despair, but you know what I mean)

• beed84 said:
    Gonna go see him in York tomorrow.  Truth be told I've not heard much of his stuff but I know he's an awesome player.  And you're right, £12 is a bargain!
    I was supposed to be going to that as a present from my Mrs for my birthday... however, I'm playing now so I'm gonna miss it :( Nevermind!
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    beed84 said:
    I was supposed to be going to that as a present from my Mrs for my birthday... however, I'm playing now so I'm gonna miss it :( Nevermind!
    Shame, you missed a great gig!  He's a brilliant performer, great sound and good with the crowd.  Pity about the turn out though, there was only about 50-60 people tops.  I just don't get it.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited March 2014
    I saw him at a PRS event in Manchester a couple of years ago. A modern day Gary Moore; a very accomplished player.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:
    Shame, you missed a great gig!  He's a brilliant performer, great sound and good with the crowd.  Pity about the turn out though, there was only about 50-60 people tops.  I just don't get it.
    Crap material, simple as that. Great guitarist but can't write a decent song to save his life. Saw him ain Gloucester a couple of years ago and whilst the playing was impressive he did nothing to persuade me to buy one of his albums or go and see him again.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    I have one of his albums somewhere. :o3
    Clearly more than competent spanking the plank and not just a widdler but like Sid I found it/ him lacking in songs other than the covers. Still, I imagine that kind of guitarist's guitarist is good live if you are, err, a guitarist but a bit hard going if you are not( hence the small turn out).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • beed84 said:
    beed84 said:
    I will definitely catch him next time he's York/Leeds/50 mile radius of Harrogate!

The only redemption was my gig ended up being pretty good. 300 people! Simon McBride and his band are far better than me and my band?! What's with that logic?!

Aynsley Lister at Ripley in April, I'll be there - should be a good gig. You should come @beed84 /any forumites!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6837
    Saw him last night, and kind of agree, technically very good, but the songs didn't grab me. But a good evening for £12!!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewton said:
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:
    Crap material, simple as that. Great guitarist but can't write a decent song to save his life. Saw him ain Gloucester a couple of years ago and whilst the playing was impressive he did nothing to persuade me to buy one of his albums or go and see him again.
    Yes I have to agree about great guitarists but having poor writing skills etc. Sorry to say that I put Bonamassa in that ilk really. Absolutely flawless player but after a while he gets boring I found when going to one of his gigs a couple of years ago. So boring I left early. It's about the song I guess in the end :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Almost forgot about this thread. He is an awesome player and this vid of his "Right Hand Technique" (OOOER) is worth checking out, so fluid and effortless, well, it is when he tries it.

^:)^
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Great player and I actually don't mind his songs. The truth is all of this genre of music suffers from guitarists writing songs as an opportunity to play great guitar rather than play a great song. That being said, the audience of these type of players are typically guitarists who want to see great playing. Poor vocals and average songs are commonplace amongs the blues guitarists. I still love watching them play though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    When I saw him he reminded me of Gary Moore...like his mum backstage at a Thin Lizzy gig in 1978 scenario...ahem!