string guage question

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• *Sigh* I wasn't talking about your particular guitar - how could I? Your statement was an absolute and therefore a fallacy. I've owned many guitars that worked better with lighter (although only one that was better with 11's - the others 12's) strings. I've also owned a couple that were better with 13's. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    edited March 2014
    The23rdman;193005" said:
    *Sigh* I wasn't talking about your particular guitar - how could I? Your statement was an absolute and therefore a fallacy. I've owned many guitars that worked better with lighter (although only one that was better with 11's - the others 12's) strings. I've also owned a couple that were better with 13's. 
    'Total fallacy' is pretty emphatic. The quote above proves that even in your opinion it is at least a partial fallacy...
  • You are making no sense. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    The23rdman;193045" said:
    You are making no sense. 
    Likewise.....
  • I'm learning to walk away...
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited March 2014
    how and what gauge strings a guitar works 'best' with is totally based on how "rigid" the top is and how it is braced.

A great big thick piece of spruce with telegraph poles for bracing ISNT going to respond so well to lighter gauge strings,  where as put anything like 13s on very lightly braced cedar top and you'll probably rip the top off.  But thats not to say you cant get a reasonable compromise.

My Brook was 'braced' to work best with 12s - they even asked me what gauge I prefer when they made it......... I did put some 13s on just to see if it would make it fuller,  and you know what - it didnt.  BUT that was to do with tension not directly the gauge of course,  tuned down 1/2 a step it was fine...........
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7802
    I've got 10s on my Yamaha, it sounds fine plugged in but might be considered lacking by someone with taste, I guess.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Paul_C said:
     it sounds fine plugged in but might be considered lacking by someone with taste, I guess.
    can't decide,  LOL or Wisdom...........................   :D

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7802
    What I was trying to say, in as few words as possible ;)  is that it works really well as a gigging guitar, but it's not the best sounding acoustically - mind you, due to the thinner body (it's an APX700) it was never going to be. It suits me to use it as it is, but a purist would not be delighted by the tone it produces without an amp :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    The23rdman;192600" said:
    That is a total fallacy. A solid and well braced dred like a Martin will work great with 13's, but you can drive it just as well with 12's 
    I'm not sure how you can state this quite so emphatically, as from recollection you have not tried both gauges on my guitar.

Nonetheless, thanks for putting me right.
    It depends on the model. In my experience, the pre-war style bracing (forward shifted X bracing??) on the vintage series Martins is very responsive, but Standard series is a lot less responsive.

I remember reading that Martin changed the design in the 40s because players were putting really thick strings on to try to compete volume wise with other instuments.  I'm not a big fan of their Standard series.  If you can afford the ones with the pre-war style bracing, they are stunning.  If you can't I think the 16 series, or a Stonebridge is a better guitar.  If you are willing to put 13s or 14s on then a Standard series Martin may come to life but strings like that are not for me.