So, this bloke J J Cale.

What's Hot
I've been meaning to get some of his music for ages now, and have been too lazy to do so. Any tips out there about where to start as he was fairly prolific I believe?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    JJ Cale, the man who is famous purely because Eric Clapton is his biggest fan. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7778
    Knopfler too
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72476
    Pick an album, any album. They all sound exactly the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    Start with 5 and Naturally
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    edited July 2018
    Er, rubbish....

To the OP, Cale’s output was very consistent, so hard to go wrong with any of his albums.

The essential ones probably include Naturally, Five, Troubadour, Shades and Grasshopper. Later ones like Closer to You are worthy of a listen too.

I’m an über fan....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    I'm a huge fan of the Troubadour album.
    Start with that.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6840
    tFB Trader
    Er, rubbish....

To the OP, Cale’s output was very consistent, so hard to go wrong with any of this albums.

The essential ones probably include Naturally, Five, Troubadour, Shades and Grasshopper. Later ones like Closer to You are worthy of a listen too.

I’m an über fan....
    Wisdom duly awarded.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    I'd go with Naturally, Okie & Troubadour.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4722
    Knopfler too
    Also had songs covered by Lynyrd Skynyrd, Johnny Cash, Freddie King, Captain Beefheart.

Neil young said with Hendrix, he was one of the best ever electric guitar players.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2696
    Rewind is a pretty cool album of basement tapes. Rumor has it no one is quite sure who's playing what on some of the tracks. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    My personal fave is Travelogue, but there's belters on every album.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    "Music" that just chugs along with no real excitement, no key changes, very little harmonic progression even. Clapton's most boring work was JJ Cale covers, and the first Dire Straits album, well, I ask you. Compared to the others (especially the epically brilliant Love Over Gold) it's a total yawn.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7342
    edited July 2018
    Cocaine was a good but today all JJ Cale does is remind me of a smoothie
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    "Music" that just chugs along with no real excitement, no key changes, very little harmonic progression even. Clapton's most boring work was JJ Cale covers, and the first Dire Straits album, well, I ask you. Compared to the others (especially the epically brilliant Love Over Gold) it's a total yawn.
    Philistine ! JJ was all about the laid-back groove ! 
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    Even a greatest hits isn't a bad place to start with - agree with @richardhomer 's comments on individual albums, but the greatest hit will cover many bases then build on that - Great laid back groove - Big influence to Chris Rea, Mark Knopfler as well as EC 

I find that even if you don't try to copy his solos, just use them as a backing track to jam along with - I bet you'll find you are playing to many notes - So great to play along with, find the cool groove,, relax and learn to play less notes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Cale avoided the spotlight, he was at his best sitting on the front porch pickin n' a grinning. He didn't feel he needed us, a refreshing take on the industry. Chill and take in a few tunes - luverly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Knopfler too
    To the LOLer :) I submit the following:

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    yawn ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    ICBM said:
    Pick an album, any album. They all sound exactly the same.
    Some much wis, soporific blusak....
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4722

If you want to hear lots of key changes and harmonic progression hang around lifts and supermarkets;)