New headphones are fabulous, what DAC setup to get now?

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
edited August 2018 in Off Topic
I'm thinking primarily for music listening with a hi-fi system, over-ear, open-backed, good for detail resolution, big soundstage - open and "airy" kind of sound. Bass maybe neutral or just a little emphasized but not overblown or heavy ...but not lean either. Would be nice if they also worked fairly well with my Helix LT, but that's not so essential. Any recommendations please? Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I've been very impressed with Audio Technica lately.

The ATH-40X or ATH-50X.
    The 40 is under £100, the 50 is just over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22148
    I've had my AT M50X for a while now and love them. They're a little over your budget so perhaps look for the M40X. 

Oops. What Octa said!

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Cheers gents, I'll look the AT ones up. Should say, the budget is pretty "ish" so quite prepared to stretch a bit if the benefits re the sound are clear, and don't mind spending a bit less if there's something that's just brilliant for the money.
  • I feel like you described HD600s. But you might find the bass lean if you’re used to closed back headphones. And they’re way out of budget.

I think M50xs sound good, I have a pair, but I do not find them comfortable to wear long term personally. YMMV. I prefer the comfort of Beyerdynamic headphones, but I would concede that in terms of sonics it’s arguable M50x’s sound nicer than the equivalent DT770’s. Most Beyers have quite forward treble. I like it because they contrast my speakers well, as my speakers are quite smooth. But if you’re sensitive to brightness they’re not the best choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Grado SR60e- quite simply the best sounding headphones I've ever owned. 
    duotone said:
    Cheers - he seems to be mostly into higher end stuff than I can afford, not that I blame him. Good information though, and cheers.

I feel like you described HD600s. But you might find the bass lean if you’re used to closed back headphones. And they’re way out of budget.

I think M50xs sound good, I have a pair, but I do not find them comfortable to wear long term personally. YMMV. I prefer the comfort of Beyerdynamic headphones, but I would concede that in terms of sonics it’s arguable M50x’s sound nicer than the equivalent DT770’s. Most Beyers have quite forward treble. I like it because they contrast my speakers well, as my speakers are quite smooth. But if you’re sensitive to brightness they’re not the best choice.
    Thanks very much, will look into the ones you mention. Re bass, I guess I could be OK if the response is just a little down, but if there's a driving punchy bass line on a track, then I do want it to come across as driving and punchy, and not veiled and repressed, if that makes sense.

Grado SR60e- quite simply the best sounding headphones I've ever owned. 
    Will be looked into - I have heard people say great things about Grados, cheers.
  • I think it's hard to determine low end preferences by text alone, have you got any headphones you've tried that have around the response you're after?
    I think it's hard to determine low end preferences by text alone, have you got any headphones you've tried that have around the response you're after?
    Appreciate it's tricky, and afraid not. I've got a set of Sennheiser hd202 (nothing special I know) and they're great for the money, but I find the bass just a bit over-emphasized, and also I'd like more of a detailed hi-fi experience, and as already said, the more open, spacious quality of open-backed headphones.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Megii said:
    Do you know the difference between open backed and closed back headphones?
    octatonic said:
    Megii said:
    Do you know the difference between open backed and closed back headphones?
    Yes - looking for open-backed here, cheers :)

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Philips Fidelio X1/X2. I’m an owner of the former and couldn’t be happier. Hooked up to a headphone amp they sound phenomenal. They’re incredibly comfortable too. Check out the reviews:

https://www.whathifi.com/philips/fidelio-x1/review

You should be able to get a used pair pair within your budget.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Another vote for the AT M50X here.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4175
    My vote goes for these.  The bass isn't overwhelming like old-school Sony cans, but it has decent extension (it's deep).  The sound overall is balanced and the soundstage is very good too.
    Am I right in thinking the AT M50X are closed-back? Obviously good, since they have 3 recommends already, but I was really after open-back headphones, cheers :)
    randella said:
    My vote goes for these.  The bass isn't overwhelming like old-school Sony cans, but it has decent extension (it's deep).  The sound overall is balanced and the soundstage is very good too.
    These do sound like they tick the right boxes for me, cheers.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Megii said:
    Am I right in thinking the AT M50X are closed-back? Obviously good, since they have 3 recommends already, but I was really after open-back headphones, cheers :)
    I bought the AT M50X and they do sound amazing.  I believe they are closed back.  
  • randellarandella Frets: 4175
    Megii said:
    I had a quick look and the images, along with the talk of "sound-isolating earcups" and "minimal bleed", would probably suggest they're closed back.  Don't hold me to that though.