Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How much money do youtubers actually make?

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
edited August 2018 in Off Topic
First things first couldn't give a shit about Mr Chapman. This is more to do with gamers and beauty channels etc. 
My nephew whose eleven said he wants to be a youtuber. I thought it was a dying medium. I fully expect the big guns like pewdiepie and ksi to be minted etc. I came across a channel; blackpanthaa. He's in his early twenties and does racing game based content....the guy is 23 and owns an x5, a Lexus, an old tt and a Nissan skyline gtr r34.
In one of his videos he said he paid £50k outright for skyline! He's done the stupid thing of buying a mint example and is now modifying it..but hey no. 

I know he may have other revenue streams and everything is not what it seems etc. But now I'm thinking why don't I scream and make stupid videos on YouTube if the money is that good??
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Used to be. Between $1 and $2 per 1k views

Harder to work out nowadays  but I still use I to hazard a guess  

Certain genres pay well, business and gaming. And depending where your viewers are is huge. Americans pay $6 per 1k (before YouTube take a big cut) where as Asia get you less than a dollar per 1k in some places  
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24374
    Take your nephew and send him down the mines, then up a chimney, then slap him across the chops and tell him to stop being a twat.

I'd have been a good dad.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11795
    If you thought you could make a living from youtube, then give it a go.

Far from even 0.1% of those who upload videos come even close to making a living from it.

Its not easy either.

Also my favourite youtuber is taken already :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16733
    I know someone whose brother is a YouTuber doing Guitar Hero videos.  

We had this conversation last year and apparently it was still going really well for him despite Guitar Hero disappearing from most people radars a number of years ago.

cant remember the exact figures, but think it was about £4K a month at that time, and a lot of “gifts” from subscribers.

Look at it this way.  He made a lot more from fake guitar than most of us will ever make from a real one.
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I hate this trend. Nothing against those who are making money from it, but it creates an illusion that anybody can do it. There are hundreds, thousands, maybe millions of people who are not successful.

Being a YouTuber is not an ambition. Most of these people have something fairly unique, whether I can see it or not, and that's why they are popular. Kids need to focus on doing what they love, and if they have time and energy to Vlog about it then maybe they'll got the sweet spot and get rich too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3172
    tFB Trader
    Enter a username into here to see estimated earnings/stats

https://socialblade.com/youtube

Essentially, to make a living you need to hit big numbers consistantly with regular uploads
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    RiftAmps said:

Essentially, to make a living you need to hit big numbers consistantly with regular uploads
    Wow, Pete Thorn only makes about €16k a year from YT, which isn't a huge figure given the amount of work he puts into his videos. Obviously he has other income sources too.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    Read this.  You won't find many Youtubers releasing their quarterly earnings financial report this detailed.  They are a couple who travels for a living, for the first 2 years they made no money, spending their own, it took 2 years before they start making money.  

https://karaandnate.com/income-expense-report-april-june-2018/
  • Most of the gaming streamer types make their main income from Twitch, then subsidise it with viewable replay content on YouTube. 

If you look at people like Shroud, with 50-60k subscribers on Twitch and a regular stream of people paying to comment and get a mention you can see how they're getting their money. His full time job is sitting and playing games while talking to his subscribers. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • I hate this trend. Nothing against those who are making money from it, but it creates an illusion that anybody can do it. There are hundreds, thousands, maybe millions of people who are not successful.

Being a YouTuber is not an ambition. Most of these people have something fairly unique, whether I can see it or not, and that's why they are popular. Kids need to focus on doing what they love, and if they have time and energy to Vlog about it then maybe they'll got the sweet spot and get rich too.
    I disagree. Youtube has enabled laods of people to do exactly what they love and get paid for it, instead of a boring office job or factory job. Of course it can be an ambition. Anybody really can do it, thats the beauty of it. Of course there is competition in any field, but thats life. If you are good enough at your thing then there is nothing stopping you becoming successful at it. Musicians especially so.

Although people who get rich and just spend all their money on status symbols and posing do annoy me. If you've got money great, but do something useful with it instead of being an egotistical poser.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    Lev said:
    RiftAmps said:

Wow, Pete Thorn only makes about €16k a year from YT, which isn't a huge figure given the amount of work he puts into his videos. Obviously he has other income sources too.
    Yep that ain't alot for the effort. Contrast this with 'youtube stars' for example Logan Paul who is apparently are earning from £17K to £271K per month:

https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCG8rbF3g2AMX70yOd8vqIZg ;

Wow! How!
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    A girl I work with has a YouTube channel based around her and her husband's travels around the Uk and Europe in the VW California camper van. 
    They've got 10k+ subscribers and over a million total views - I know they make a few quid but put it this way, they still have to turn up to work every day. 
    What they do get though, is masses of free stuff from leisure companies (which they review) kayaks, paddle boards, wet suits, van tyres, all kinds of camping equipment....

It's definitely worthwhile...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    He, like every other 11 year old who wants to be a star (Youtube is the new primetime TV, remember), has a one in ten million chance of being successful, because ultimately nobody wants to watch an 11 year old do something at an average-or-below level. All the megabucks stars are either very, very well practiced skillsmiths (gaming, music, whatever), or are contraversial American plastic racists.

The aforementioned Shroud, a favourite of mine, has been gaming since he was 3 (and is now mid-20s) thanks to a game-obsessed dad, was a competitive tournament eSports player before even touching youtube, and has about 10,000 hours playtime on his main game (PUBG).

Remind him that his favourites are all likely to have a solid skillset behind them, and he should first start putting in the hours honing a skill that someday, maybe he can show off. Alternatively, send him down the mines.

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4647
    Get him to watch the Niel Degass Tyson vids then send him off to study Astro Physics
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    A musician friend of mine in the States said today on FB that he had 4.3 million views and his royalties are $456.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11795
    It's a superstar economy on Youtube.

It does help other things though, musicians with endorsements often essentially make ads on there (Chappers, Bea, that girl whose name I forget).

It's a part of a career online for most people.  Logan Paul is the exception rather than the rule, and also (scarily) outed himself as a bit of a monster with the Japan thing with very little reduction in popularity.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Some of those videos are set ups.  What you think is someone buying a car is just an advert for a particular garage or dealership.  
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited August 2018
    The bigger money is in advert/sponsor deals, merchandise sales, and a lot of gamers make money through twitch these days.

Its not so simple to make money just via views unless you upload monetisable content very regularly to a large audience. And if I understand correctly there are some gaming things that are no longer monetisable 

Really anyone doing well is a business person as well as an entertainer.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Patreon income is a good boost for many smaller Youtubers. For example, the Dutch guitar guy Paul Davids has 2838 patrons.  I guess most are $1 a month and Patreon takes a big cut, but it probably still provides a pleasant income for doing what he clearly loves.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited August 2018
    As has been said before, there is a lot of work put in to YouTubeing.  It's not necessarily an easy route to riches although using it to promote stuff that you're selling can be viable.  For example, I have enjoyed Leo Marichilio's work so much that I've subscribed to his Patreon account.  For this I get access to DLC.

The money is there to be made, but the work has to be done.