Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sell my DS1 and get a proco rat?

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
So I bought a DS1 a few months ago second hand for £35 because I was after a nirvana guitar tone, but since then I've realised how much better sonic youth are ;) I've read that thurston used a proco turbo rat. I'm after that distortion used on teenage riot. Is there a significant difference between a standard rat and the turbo rat?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 165
    Try the Mooer Black Secret - it's a Proco Rat clone with a switchable turbo mode.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I love the Turbo Rat

Could send you a Mooer Black Secret for £25 posted, let me know
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72359
    Calum13 said:

Is there a significant difference between a standard rat and the turbo rat?
    Yes, the standard Rat is more bitey and 'ratty' - the Turbo is smoother. But the Rat 2 is better than either of them in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    I love the Turbo Rat

I'll consider your offer  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @roberty If @Calum13 ; decides not to go with the Mooer Black Secret, I'll take it. But only if he's not interested.
  • roberty said:
    I love the Turbo Rat

Can it take a 9V battery?
  • Calum13 said:
    roberty said:
    I love the Turbo Rat

Can it take a 9V battery?
    No
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    There's also the little bear r-attack for £35 on eBay that does standard, turbo me you dirty rat modes. Wouldn't mind getting myself one, gets good reviews.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited September 2018
    Thurston didn't start using the Turbo Rat until the early 90's but he's been using them ever since. If you are after the Teenage Riot sound it may not give that to you, early SY isn't particularly distorted - the tunings are more important. They used amp drive in that era. They are great pedals and a personal favourite of mine though, I had 4 at one time - I think I only have 3 now. If you get one try and get an older version with CTS pots and bigger knobs, they're more consistently good. No need to spend extra for one with an LM308 chip though, it makes little or no difference - i've had both and tried them side by side.

Thurston has mostly used a Turbo Rat, Green Russian Muff, Phase 90 and a Dunlop Hendrix Octave Fuzz for the last 20 or so years of SY. Have a look at this website for loads of SY gear info:

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/gear.html
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Matt_McG said:
    @roberty If @Calum13 ; decides not to go with the Mooer Black Secret, I'll take it. But only if he's not interested.
    Let me know guys

I am going to get a second turbo for my other board, that's how much I love them
  • sell your DS
    Calum13 said:
    So I bought a DS1 a few months ago second hand for £35 because I was after a nirvana guitar tone, but since then I've realised how much better sonic youth are ;) I've read that thurston used a proco turbo rat. I'm after that distortion used on teenage riot. Is there a significant difference between a standard rat and the turbo rat?
    Sell your DS1. The rat is about a gazillion times better.
    thomasw88 said:

Sell your DS1. The rat is about a gazillion times better.
    The DS-1 is also a great pedal, but it only has one good sound - which is both amp dependent and needs a very precise tone control setting.

The Rat is a lot more flexible, has at least three types of good sounds, and which are much less amp dependent. But it can’t sound like a DS-1.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @roberty I don't want to gazump @Calum13 , but if he doesn't want it, I'll definitely have it.
  • Matt_McG said:
    @roberty I don't want to gazump @Calum13 , but if he doesn't want it, I'll definitely have it.
    You can have it. I usually use batteries with my pedals. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    edited September 2018
    ewal said:
    Yeah I saw that. I usually just use my Marshall with the gain turned up and a chorus pedal sometimes.
  • ICBM said:
    Calum13 said:

Is there a significant difference between a standard rat and the turbo rat?
    Yes, the standard Rat is more bitey and 'ratty' - the Turbo is smoother. But the Rat 2 is better than either of them in my opinion.

A quick Google indicates many users believe there is little difference between the original Rat and Rat 2. Can anyone point me to a list of differences in the circuit? I was planning on building a Rat from a kit, and I'm wondering about modding it to a Rat 2 (or even putting both on a switch).
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    edited September 2018
    jonnyscaramanga said:

A quick Google indicates many users believe there is little difference between the original Rat and Rat 2. Can anyone point me to a list of differences in the circuit? I was planning on building a Rat from a kit, and I'm wondering about modding it to a Rat 2 (or even putting both on a switch).
    Everything you need to know about the various versions of the Rat...
    photo Multi-RATpng
    There is quite a noticeable difference between the original Rat and Rat 2 - the 2 is quite a bit chunkier and grittier, the original is more midrangy. Notice that the 'Vintage Rat' uses the same clipping diodes as the 2 not the original though... which might explain some of the confusion.

• I'm selling my Fuzzrocious Rat Tail, super versatile and the controls are much more usable with better range than the Proco version.