'57 Custom Champ and alternatives.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Yeah I know, that was aimed at @fftc :)

I can see how it looked like it was a response to your post, lol.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Thanks for the comments folks.

As far as self build is concerned I do quite fancy the idea. So much so that I decided a while ago to build some pedals to refresh my soldering skills in preparation for taking on an amp kit. The pedal kits have sat untouched ever since!  :s I think that illustrates perfectly where I am at with that idea.

The Victoria is sadly over budget.
    The other options that have been touted just aren't hitting the spot. Even the Rift and Flynn, which I have no doubt are excellent amps just aren't really tempting me. I can't help thinking that if thebreeze was selling a Fender Champ instead of a Rift it would be long gone by now.

Still not had any real discussion of the quality of these Fender '57 Custom amps. Is that because people don't know, don't care or something else? I suppose if the quality was rubbish then plenty people would be shouting about it so perhaps they can be considered good by omission! lol
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    The one I played about a fortnight ago was pretty solid - so no real comments. It really fired up when around 7-8 on the volume, but my daughter was sitting there giving me the thumbs down about the volume, so make of that what you will.
  • I have a friend who’s selling an fender teeed deluxe. It’s the Edge special edition. Pm if this fits the bill
  • I have a hand-built Tweed Champ clone from Ritter Amps in Dresden. It’s amazing. Utterly silent (when it’s supposed to be), beautifully built, and sounds fantastic. I will probably never part with it. 

I had some kind of attenuator added. It sits between the speaker output and the speaker. Usually I have that set on half, and the amp’s volume on 5. I play with the guitar volume on around 7. 

It’s a fantastic amp, but I might not want it as an only amp. It really only does one thing. Or two — warm, direct cleans, and filth. It’s also picky about what guitar you plug into it. Humbuckers are a no-no. I have to turn the bass-cut right up (dowm?) on my Strat to make it sound good. 

You’ll need some kind of EQ, then, on the guitar, or in a pedal. With EQ, the Champ is a lot more flexible. 

Also, a Princeton Reverb with a master volume mod is a great home amp. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    fftc said:
    Still not had any real discussion of the quality of these Fender '57 Custom amps. Is that because people don't know, don't care or something else? I suppose if the quality was rubbish then plenty people would be shouting about it so perhaps they can be considered good by omission! lol

LOL, in my case it's definitely "Don't know", as I haven't tried it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    Another vote for the larger Cornell Romany models. (The versions with a small loudspeaker and cabinet can sound boxy.) 

Kitsune said:
    ... the power cut switch on the Cornells ...
    The Romany has another switch for EQ bypass, making the circuit behave more like a tweed one-knob 5F1 Champ.

If you have the budget for a Cornell amplifier and require sonic variety beyond *small tweed*, consider the Romany's close cousin, the Vintage Brown 10.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    edited August 2018
    True, I’d forgotten about the EQ bypass switch. Rarely use mine as my LP batters it.

if volumes not too much of an issue, I had another go of a tweed pro junior and was reasonably impressed with it. A/B tested a 330 and 335, with the volume on about 7 and tone on 4 - good sound coming out
    edited September 2018
    Just wanted to update this thread. Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I ended up going for the Champ and I couldn't be happier. It is everything I hoped it would be.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1886/43828973844_3f078010d5_b.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fantastic! What a cracking pairing, thats gonna sound sweet!
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Sound clips of that pair! 

Congratualtions indeed.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    Congrats. I just bought one too and love it to bits.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    How are these when used at home. Are they way too loud?
    shaunm said:
    Dimed yes, way too loud, but still sounds glorious at lower volumes to my ears.
    fftc said:
    shaunm said:
    Dimed yes, way too loud, but still sounds glorious at lower volumes to my ears.
    Agreed on both counts.To get some crunch happening it's well above living room volumes (although if you had the place to yourself you probably wouldn't upset the neighbours). But you don’t miss the crunch so much because you still get compression and sustain even though it’s clean. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lewy said:
    =) Cheers. Amazing, aren't they.

Lewy said:
    Agreed on both counts.To get some crunch happening it's well above living room volumes (although if you had the place to yourself you probably wouldn't upset the neighbours). But you don’t miss the crunch so much because you still get compression and sustain even though it’s clean. 
    I'm not an amp expert by any stretch but the clean sound is something else. It is a creamy, warm, compressed clean. Even on a strat bridge pick-up with the treble quite high there is bags of treble but it somehow manages not to sound shrill. That is quite some trick IMHO!
    This series of videos really helped me pull the trigger. I'm a bit more blues oriented but listen to the tone!

edited September 2018
    fftc said:
    Lewy said:
    Cheers. Amazing, aren't they.

Lewy said:
    I'm not an amp expert by any stretch but the clean sound is something else. It is a creamy, warm, compressed clean. Even on a strat bridge pick-up with the treble quite high there is bags of treble but it somehow manages not to sound shrill. That is quite some trick IMHO!
    Plus there’s loads of different colours you can get by using different balances of guitar and amp volume. Guitar up full and amp on four - warm and jazzy. Guitar halfway up and amp volume increased to be the same loudness as before...brighter with more twang. It’s all so interactive.