Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Watch or Guitar ?

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    Tempted to say ‘watch’ - I’ve owned mine for 31 years - longer than any of my guitars.

Also a good heirloom - my non-guitar playing son will inherit something he can actually use.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27048
    boogieman said:
    Guitar. I’d be terrified of losing a valuable watch or getting it stolen. 
    That's what insurance is for. Guitars get nicked or broken as well. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GUITAR!

Any cheap timepiece from Amazon for less than a tenner will tell you what time it is to an accuracy which is plenty good enough for any everyday activity.

A guitar is something you can't get so cheap about.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Get the guitar. My Dad has a vintage Omega Seamaster and he never wears it, it just sits in a drawer, while he strolls around with a cheap Timex. Get a nice guitar and use it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310

I had this same dilemma for my 40th recently. 

I went with the watch.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    If you have your guitar needs covered as you seem to have a watch is the answer.

A watch is a personal item that you wear everyday and don't need any skill to derive pleasure from.  ;)

They make lovely heirlooms too, (I have my Dad's old watches).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited October 2018
    GUITAR!

Any cheap timepiece from Amazon for less than a tenner will tell you what time it is to an accuracy which is plenty good enough for any everyday activity.

A guitar is something you can't get so cheap about.

@phil_aka_Pip

I partly agree with this.It's true that an expensive watch isn't something you need, because indeed a cheap quartz is something that, unless there's something really wrong with it, is more precise than most high end timepieces. Anyone that says they've bought X brand for £Yk because precision is either fooling themselves, or don't know as much about watches as they think they do.

By the same token, there's no need to spend big money to get a good guitar these days either. It's all diminishing returns, in fact guitars have started to hav more in common with the watch industry than most would realise. There's sub £200 guitars out there now that are on a whole different level compared to 20 or 30 years ago. All thats maybe needed is a pickup change and some harder wearing electronics.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited October 2018
    Hmm. If you have enough guitars, get a nice watch.

My Dad is a big fan of nice high end watches and once I had a good set of bass/guitar gear, he said 'why don't you look for the right watch...'

Guitars and basses are amazing. All instruments are fun (well most..some are less fun than others) but if you feel you don't want to risk investment in another instrument, a nice watch is always good to own.

I'm VERY careful with buying new guitars. I now only buy when they are reduced but they are still brand new....e.g. the big Musicman Cutlass/Stingray sale. 

I've recently returned a Gibson R8 that was NOS; it just wasn't right. Now I'm either stashing the money in savings/deposit for a house or a new watch later down the line.  
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12341
    I manage to break every watch I wear whereas every guitar I play sounds broken so I don’t really know, probably a guitar. Hope this helps.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Guitar.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

pointless getting into the whole any watch will tell the time argument, we have done it to death.

agree with stickyfiddle, I wouldn't buy a watch with a focus on its retained or appreciated value. I'd get it cos I liked it.

Whilst the Planet Ocean is a nice watch, if its value you are thinking about (future), then I would consider other brands too. A nice Breitling Navitimer will hold its value well. Or, as has been said, a Rolex (though I'm not a real fan of their watches really).

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    If you already have a guitar or two, get the watch. Buy good, pay the price and you have a work of art that will last a lifetime, dirt cheap.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Buy the watch you want.

I don’t have a big or expensive collection of watches, around a dozen, and I don’t think any of them cost more than £2.5k, which is not very much in the world of watches, but there is always room for another.  

Resale value is something I have never considered as I won’t be selling any, they will belong to my boy one day.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27048
    Snap said:

pointless getting into the whole any watch will tell the time argument, we have done it to death.

agree with stickyfiddle, I wouldn't buy a watch with a focus on its retained or appreciated value. I'd get it cos I liked it.

Whilst the Planet Ocean is a nice watch, if its value you are thinking about (future), then I would consider other brands too. A nice Breitling Navitimer will hold its value well. Or, as has been said, a Rolex (though I'm not a real fan of their watches really).

I'm not sure I'd look to Breitling for PO alternatives, as the're much more the Pilot thing than a classic diver. The obvious "other" option is the ubiquitous Rolex Submariner, though they're more recognisable, and hence more attractive to thieves, and it's also possible your mates will think it's a fake, as most of mine probably would :D 

Bt srsly, watches are great. Buy a watch. And post pics!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28321
    Do you want to be (or "Are you") the sort of person who thinks a £5 Casio is all the watch you need (which is an entirely valid position), or the sort of person who has a marvellous bit of engineering on their wrist?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Oh FFS

Just spent half an hour looking at watches online.

I need to do my VAT return........
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Snap said:

I'm not sure I'd look to Breitling for PO alternatives, as the're much more the Pilot thing than a classic diver. The obvious "other" option is the ubiquitous Rolex Submariner, though they're more recognisable, and hence more attractive to thieves, and it's also possible your mates will think it's a fake, as most of mine probably would :D 

I guess it depends what style is wanted, if a style at all. Breitling do some lovely diving watches, as well as others. I generally prefer their range to Omega, but that's only my choice. I've got a nice black faced Superocean from around 1996 I think. I do like the Rolex Seadweller too, its a bit more interesting than the obvious choice, the Submariner.

I also quite like the Drive de Cartier, for something a but different.

Also have a quiet envy for a top line Monaco, the Calibre 12 is lovely, with the blue face. Not a Tag fan, but this is a classic IMO.

Oh I really could do without thinking too much about watches.....;)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22900

Not really on topic, but....

I had to get to work early (for me) today so I was a bit anxious about the time.  There was a bloke holding the handrail on the Tube near me, so I looked at his watch.

It was a Tissot (that's a pretty good make isn't it?) and said it was 10.00 on Friday 28 September.  It was actually 09.12 on Tuesday 2 October. 

Is there any point wearing that watch?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbow said:
    I always laugh when people say they use their phone.

We've effectively regressed to pocket watches.
    I use my guitar.

Bystander: What time is it?

(looks down)

Time to rock.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited October 2018
    Snap said:
    Snap said:

I'm not sure I'd look to Breitling for PO alternatives, as the're much more the Pilot thing than a classic diver. The obvious "other" option is the ubiquitous Rolex Submariner, though they're more recognisable, and hence more attractive to thieves, and it's also possible your mates will think it's a fake, as most of mine probably would D 

I guess it depends what style is wanted, if a style at all. Breitling do some lovely diving watches, as well as others. I generally prefer their range to Omega, but that's only my choice. I've got a nice black faced Superocean from around 1996 I think. I do like the Rolex Seadweller too, its a bit more interesting than the obvious choice, the Submariner.

I also quite like the Drive de Cartier, for something a but different.

Also have a quiet envy for a top line Monaco, the Calibre 12 is lovely, with the blue face. Not a Tag fan, but this is a classic IMO.

Oh I really could do without thinking too much about watches.....;)

@snap

On the SD, not anymore, they butchered it this year...

There's a vintage reissue Monaco with the crown on the let hand side and no TAG on the face, just Heuer. As it should be.

@philly_q

Could have been a quartz and the battery ran out.