Acoustics 12 fret vs 14 fret?

What's Hot
brooombrooom Frets: 1175
What's your preference in terms of sound?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451

Generally I really like the sound of 12 fret guitars.  The only problem is they can get a bit cramped if you do want to go up near the dusty end, or even if you have a capo reasonably high up.

Played a lovely 12 fret Atkin at the Olympia show the other day.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    crunchman said:

Generally I really like the sound of 12 fret guitars.  The only problem is they can get a bit cramped if you do want to go up near the dusty end, or even if you have a capo reasonably high up.

Played a lovely 12 fret Atkin at the Olympia show the other day.

I have a 12 fret and love it, sounds wonderful. They do take some getting used to though - it does feel cramped when capoed and even when it isn't it the playing position takes a bit of getting used to as your left arm doesn't feel like it is where it should be. This is compounded by me being 6'5. I'm considering getting a 14 fret to compliment it - great though the 12 fret is it's not the ideal guitar for every song.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Thanks guys. With the sales of most of my electrics, I'm trying to make decision on whether to have a Martin CEO-7 or UMGF 00-18VS.

They're both mahogany bodied 00s, but one is 14th fret whilst the other is 12.

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    My advice would be to get the one that feels, sounds and plays the best - the one that grabs you - without worrying about whether it is 12 or 14 fret. 
    I agree, although I can play the CEO-7 easily, and will try to do it this week.

I won't find the 00-18VS over here in the UK easily.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    brooom said:
    I agree, although I can play the CEO-7 easily, and will try to do it this week.

I won't find the 00-18VS over here in the UK easily.
    If you are looking at something in the OO-18VS price range then it might be worth looking at an Atkin.  I think the 12 fretter I played the other day was an OO body size.  Absolutely lovely.
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    I prefer a 12th fret neck joint but always gravitate back to 14 due to the increased versatility. 

Both of the guitars that you are considering are great - as a small body allrounder the CEO-7 offers more than some of the more blues focussed 00’s.
    edited October 2018
    I currently have a nice little sigma 00R-28vs which is like a cheaper version of a martin 00 12 fret guitar. Very sweet souding.

I wanted to upgrade (narrower neck then most Martins and laminate rosewood back and sides). On the one hand I think this type of guitar sounds great, but I always stress that I might not have full access near the 12th frets for some stuff.

On the other hand, on an acoustic how many times do I actually play that high up the neck... answer is not that many.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5276
    12 fret is lovely but its all about how you like the overall package, one of each is a good solution, little 12 fret parlouresque type and big 14 fret for the BIG sound
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited October 2018
    brooom said:

On the other hand, on an acoustic how many times do I actually play that high up the neck... answer is not that many.

And is it dusty?  
    edited October 2018
    I can guarantee that this particular guitar is not dusty. Because it's literally the only one I've been using lately. And in fact the only one I currently have at home. So it gets all the play time... just not above the 12th fret.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    I can heartily recommend the Avalon Americana Small body 12 fret -- stonking guitar that has won many awards and sounds MUCH bigger than it's size

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited October 2018
    that looks interesting Anc.
     For me it's a 12 fret with cutaway - if handmade add an extra 1/2 inch to the body depth to compensate internal volume.
    But the main thing that affects the timbre is the bracing system - in relationship to the bridge and NOT the externally obvious myth - the bridge is in the sweet spot that people jumped on when they were impressed with the sound of 'older' guitars.
    check this picture of a 'pre war' 12 fret Martin - see how the lower arms of the X brace JUST run under the bridge. This is what makes the difference, latter design moved the X brace further south so the X arms ran under the ends of the saddle stiffening up the soundboard 'diagram' - better for hard strumming some would say but ya got Dreads for that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brooom said:
    What's your preference in terms of sound?
    I have 12 & 14 fret 00's  and I'd say there are differences in sound but IMO the ergonomics are far more important and that's something I associate with the size of the lower bout more so.  

IMO, for sound I generally prefer 14 fret models, aside from 00 sized guitars where I like both the 12 and 14 fret variants. 

edited October 2018
    just an example of what I'm pointing out above Re bridge / bracing system 'the old way' -
    que to 2.24 and miss the twiddly widdly bits.
    You'll hear a guitar that evolved 80 yrs ago into a 25.4" scale 12 frets to the body with a sound that could come from a guitar made today - this is what wowed the folks over the decades and because of their lack of knowledge of 'under the hood' jumped to the visually obvious conclusion  IT MUST BE WHERE THE BRIDGE IS.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    heres one that is recently mad IN MAPLE (but doesn't) sound like a 'typical' maple b/s guitar.
    Again 25.4 12 fret and bracing in the right place.