Best MIAB pedal...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I really like the Xotic SL Drive...has lots of dipswitches to change up the sound and can do a passable GnR
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited October 2018
    I really like the Xotic SL Drive...has lots of dipswitches to change up the sound and can do a passable GnR
    I have an SL Drive, I do like it but would like something with a touch more gain I think.  Also it feels to me that towards the top of its gain range it goes kinda squishy/unfocussed.  I don't gig, so it's just for fun at home really, but I'm thinking of a Wampler Pinnacle Dlx v2 or maybe a Suhr Riot. 
    Anyone able to clue me in on whether these would be able to go higher gain than the SL?  
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Thinking outside the box (no pun intended), something like the Analogman POT/ KOT or the new Wampler Pantheon is worth a look. Thats what I use as my MIAB. Plenty of gain if you need it, the right "feel" and just enough mids to take a Fender voiced amp into that territory. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• In that carivercider said:
    I really like the Xotic SL Drive...has lots of dipswitches to change up the sound and can do a passable GnR
    I have an SL Drive, I do like it but would like something with a touch more gain I think.  Also it feels to me that towards the top of its gain range it goes kinda squishy/unfocussed.  I don't gig, so it's just for fun at home really, but I'm thinking of a Wampler Pinnacle Dlx v2 or maybe a Suhr Riot. 
    Anyone able to clue me in on whether these would be able to go higher gain than the SL?  
    In that case do what I done and stick a BB Preamp in front of the SL!
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    rico said:
    Another vote for the original Guvnor here.. Amazing pedal
    Another vote here. Watch out with the jacks though. Bit prone to breaking!
    Yeah, the jacks are definitely a weak point.  Had all three on mine replaced a year or so ago, and they've all just crumbled.  Don't think I had enough slack in the patch leads.  Great pedal, though; want to try and get it fixed properly.  But I preferred it mixed with a bit of amp crunch.  As a MIAB pedal into a clean amp, I think the GV-2 is actually better.

Also worth a look is the Boss ST-2.  It's a modeller, but it's designed to change voice as you wind up the gain - from Plexi, through JCM 800, up to hi-gain Marshall.  It does get a bit noisy at higher settings, though.
    Yep, don't overlook the Boss ST-2 it's very underated but actually a bit of a monster when it comes to a MIAB.
    Thumbs up for the Marshall GV-2 as well, one of the few pedals I hung on to after selling most when I got my Helix.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Thinking outside the box (no pun intended), something like the Analogman POT/ KOT or the new Wampler Pantheon is worth a look. Thats what I use as my MIAB. Plenty of gain if you need it, the right "feel" and just enough mids to take a Fender voiced amp into that territory. 
    KOT, nope. For example, I'd prefer a Boss angry driver by far.
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    edited October 2018
    I love my MIAB pedals, but I’ve found very few pedals in general which do more than one thing exceptionally well.  There certainly are many superb MIAB pedals nowadays.

For VH, I think that a reasonably low gain, vintage sounding pedal would be best, and then goose it with an SD1, just like Eddie did. Alternatively, the Pinnacle is superb for Eddie tones in particular and Marshall tones in general, without the need for a boost.

But to get JCM800 and JTM45 from the one pedal is quite a big ask - especially if you’re very choosy/discerning/typical guitarist.

The La Grange did a pretty good job of offering different flavours via the 3 position gain switch.

Personally, I stack a Bogner Wessex into a Charlie Brown. The Wessex has superb lower gain, cleaner tones. So does the CB, which is just a fantastic miab - probably the best I’ve found in my never ending miab search. The two together can be pretty heavy.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Wampler Pantheon
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited October 2018
    The GV2 is a great MIAB for the mid to higher gain tones. I like the MI Audio Crunch Box too. The Super Crunch Box V2 looks to be the ultimate MIAB to give you all the gain ranges and levels of compression. Cheaper than a lot of boutique offerings too.
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    I don't how much of a MIAB it is but I used a Caline Orange Burst for my dirty rhythm during this year for my cover band and it sounded great.
    I moved from that band so it's off the board now but I'll keep it. Best €20 I spent in a long time.
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    XTS Atomic - Carl Martin PlexiTone (Small Box)