When to hand in your notice?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Have you considered just not turning up one day?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12372
    Certainly before they find the missing money.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    octatonic said:
    Have you considered just not turning up one day?
    A guy did this a few years ago where I was working in an office.

A colleague spent Friday afternoon ‘setting his PC up’, tidying the ‘new guys’ desk etc.  We came in on Monday & 9am came and went...10am came and went, then the bosses son turned up and gave him a text & finally spoke to him.

He said that he wouldn’t be able to come in as his ‘Mum had died’ over the weekend...but he would be in on the Tuesday.  Never did see the guy, couldn’t even tell you what his name was  =)
  • According to Monster, 90% (or some similarly high percentage) of people who didn't leave because their current employer made them a counter offer ended up leaving anyway within 12 months. I think the general concensus is that if you're unhappy enough to consider leaving and then go for interview(s) then your dissatisfaction is severe enough to require changes beyond the capability of your current employer to make.

FWIW I went for interview, got the job offer, then went to discuss it with my employer and gave him my reasons for wanting to move. We agreed a timescale for leaving and I did as much as I could to leave things tidy behind me, and also a skills list and desirable personal characteristics of whoever would replace me. My employer did make a counter offer, which I did consider, but decided that the new job ticked more of my boxes than staying would. However, I did make it clear that I didn't imply any personal disrespect in making that decision, and I left on good terms.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Most job moves go well and some go off the rails.

I had one years ago where I was on 3 months notice and the new company rang me up on the last Friday at my old place to tell me the job I was due to start on the Monday was no longer available.

I had another where I was on 1 month and gave them two, but they asked me to stay on a further 2 to deliver some projects, which I did (for a nice bonus, of course), and delivered the work.

Another one I had, the place seemed fantastic and they really made a big thing about what a great employer they were; sadly they weren't and I was out of there in 2 months.

I think the days of a career in one place are pretty much in the past.

Hope yours goes well!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    edited October 2018
    prowla said:o

Totally agree......

..and I've just given you your 1000th fret : -) 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    From a manager's point if view, if any of my people wanted to leave, I never made a counter offer - my thinking was that, if they're in leaving mode, let 'em leave.

Also had a bloke not turn up on day one, following a perfectly good offer - the useless twat didn't even have the balls to call me, just left me to call the agency to ask where the fuck he was.

• I've always taken the view that a counteroffer to keep me on board is too little, too late. If I have to hold their feet to the fire to get positive changes in my position, then it's something they didn't want to give unless they had to and it will keep on being that way. 

As a manager/recruiter I'd agree with @Nitefly. If they want to leave, let them and make the exit process as decent as it can be for all parties. You might want to rehire them one day. They might be able to stop your next company (where they now work) from hiring you. They might even be your boss at that next company!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    rawk100 said:

Totally agree......

Wow - a kFret! :-)
    Nitefly said:
    From a manager's point if view, if any of my people wanted to leave, I never made a counter offer - my thinking was that, if they're in leaving mode, let 'em leave.

Also had a bloke not turn up on day one, following a perfectly good offer - the useless twat didn't even have the balls to call me, just left me to call the agency to ask where the fuck he was.

The first sentence might explain the second sentence.

prowla said:
    rawk100 said:

Totally agree......

Wow - a kFret! :-)
    You can use them at Waitrose.
  • Dont forget to work out every second of annual leave you are due
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    octatonic said:
    Nitefly said:

The first sentence might explain the second sentence.
    LOL - then again, it might not.