Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HiFi help appreciated

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Turntables are especially sensitive to the surface they are on and can be somewhat microphonic and pick up vibrations from wooden cupboards, etc. (if you can put your ear on it and hear stuff, then that's going to feed into the turntable).

You can get racks suitable for turntables, isolation tables or bases to sit under them on top of a cabinet, get wall-mounted shelves (Sound organisation used to do onw), or even try a marble chopping board.

Incidentally, CD and other hi-fi components can also be sensitive to what they are on; I have isolation feet under my kit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Nothing wrong with any of your gear, that's all good stuff. Speaker placement - are they on those little stands? I would put them along the longer wall myself but...whatever....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3467
    Sounds like you need to set the VTA on your tone arm.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    It wont be your speakers or amp if the CDP sounds Ok.
    Also, isolation, dont get caught up with it, think coupling and decoupling, your enviroment will dictate what you need, concrete or wooden floor etc, will it react to heavy foot fall?
    If ypu arnt already a member get over to vinyl engine and have a read.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    I bought my niece one of those turntables, it’s not great.  Sounds to me like the stylus is misaligned, or the weight is wrong, arm set too light or heavy. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Could be electrical, what's your cartridge and TT?

Could there be an impedance mismatch between your cart and phono stage?

Not all cartridges are flat, and impedance mismatch can cause treble loss

It took me a long time and a lot of money to get vinyl and digital sounding balanced. If I could go back in time I wouldn't do it again!
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    roberty said:
    Could be electrical, what's your cartridge and TT?

Could there be an impedance mismatch between your cart and phono stage?

Not all cartridges are flat, and impedance mismatch can cause treble loss

It took me a long time and a lot of money to get vinyl and digital sounding balanced. If I could go back in time I wouldn't do it again!
    This.

You could try using a different interconnect from the TT with lower capacitance or loading plugs.

First thing to do though is make sure the TT is set up correctly, cartridge alignment, tracking weight, anti skate and VTA all make a difference. 
  • "Active" speakers is just buying an amplifier and speaker all in one box. You get more choice by buying them in separate boxes.

The people who said check the turntable setup are right. If the CD is acceptable and the LP isn't the difference is either in the recording or the playback device. If the phenomenon is consistent across all LPs and CDs then I'd suspect the playback device. Do check it out incl placement & isolation.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • This thread not only needs a Wow button but also a Flutter and Warble one :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11778
    This thread not only needs a Wow button but also a Flutter and Warble one :)
    Haha - very good. :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited October 2018
    Get a cheap digital scale for jewelry from ebay - they’re like £10 - and a small spirit level; check everything is level; check tracking weight - use a deck of cards to make sure you’re checking it at the same height as the record because it can be 30% out if you’re too high or low; you can check and compare the sound from different VTA by playing the record on thicker mats or even on top of another record; make sure the side tracking force is adjusted properly if your tonearm has that adjustment setting. So far that costs you 20 quid max.

Then consider isolation. Use proper isolating feet; put it on a firm table, or install a wall shelf. 

Next consider the cartridge and phono preamp. What cartridge are you using? I’ve been upgrading and upgrading over the years and the sound has got sweeter and sweeter. Denon do an amazing mc cart called the 103 or even better the 103R - if your phono amp can accommodate MC carts then that’s an amazing “cheap” upgrade. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    "Active" speakers is just buying an amplifier and speaker all in one box. You get more choice by buying them in separate boxes.

The people who said check the turntable setup are right. If the CD is acceptable and the LP isn't the difference is either in the recording or the playback device. If the phenomenon is consistent across all LPs and CDs then I'd suspect the playback device. Do check it out incl placement & isolation.
    No thats a powered speaker - many active speakers are also powered but is is quite possible to use seperate amplification to a speaker in an active configuration. Naim and Linn both offered active setups like this and I believe still do. In a passive system the cross over is after amplification usually in the speaker itself - this highly inefficient where as an active cross over goes before amplification and allows the amps to drive individual speakers highly efficently.

Since going with an active system I've stop worrying about how my system sounds and just played the music  
  • I very much doubt I that there is anything wrong with your gear. On many of my records I have noticed that there's often considerably more bass content than on the CD. 

What's interesting is that these albums are almost always pre-2000 and I think that it's down to one thing: mastering. Back then, mastering engineers had lifetimes of experience in mastering on that format, whereas CD was still relatively new. It only really occurred to me when I bought both the CD and vinyl copies of a recently released album and was taken aback when the vinyl sounded significantly worse than the CD, which is counter to what experience had taught me.

I guess that in the time when vinyl almost died a death, the experience of mastering for that format went with it, whereas mastering for digital finally caught up to the point where vinyl had been. 

That said, it's always a good idea to make sure your tracking weight is set up properly!

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Sort of result

Booming has stopped after doing what is now obvious. 

Its level

Arm is set up

still need to try a decent cable but the detail from the Carbon is nowhere near the CD. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited October 2018
    Sort of result

Its level

Arm is set up

still need to try a decent cable but the detail from the Carbon is nowhere near the CD. 
    Excellent. I think your next bet would be a more precise cartridge, or to investigate mc cartridge and preamp but you’re getting into money there. Though they’re both upgrades that you could still use if you upgraded any of the other components in the chain later on.

My records sound much more detailed than the equivalent cd. As well as much fuller.  
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Sort of result

Its level

Arm is set up

Something is wrong IMO as I have a ProJect Carbon with 2M blue cartridge and Acrylic platter and it knocks socks off of CD, especially cymbals and soundstage. 
  • Sort of result

Its level

Arm is set up

Something is wrong IMO as I have a ProJect Carbon with 2M blue cartridge and Acrylic platter and it knocks socks off of CD, especially cymbals and soundstage. 
    I must admit the cable is ancient. Will order new today
  • Massive difference in volume levels at the same setting.