What's Hot
13»

Comments

• pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    Snap said:
    JerkMoans said:

Or a leather WW1 flying helmet

true story, honest:

For a while, my Dad needed a mobility scooter. He'd wear one of those flying helmets complete with matching goggles, when he was on it. He also discovered how to remove the governor and was delighted to find that he could get it up to about 20mph.

But then, he is mad as a fish.....

(one of many loony stories he's been involved in)

Someone I know well used to be a captain on 747s at a major airline. He wore a deerstalker when flying :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Actually scratch bowlers from my want list. 

The ‘Marching Orangeman’ look is not quite the mid life crisis rock n roll image I would aspire to.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    JerkMoans said:
    p90fool said:
    If I was prone to wearing hats generally I might wear one on stage, but nothing says "sad amateur guitarist" like boots with heels, self consciously worn hats and irrelevant motorcycle clothing. 

These are things you can get away with on a big stage under proper lights, but they look embarrassing in a boozer.

Although one band I depped for was so terrible I'd have worn a full face helmet with a tinted visor if they'd let me. 
    :)
    There’s a bloke who plays in a friend’s band who sports a ‘self consciously worn’ hat. You’re right - it’s an awful look in a pub - though less so if you’re Stevie Ray Vaughn....
    Add balding pony tail. And a waistcoat.

What is it about pub guitarists and waistcoats? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Get a Davy Crockett coonskin, built in ponytail. Can't go wrong really.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    JerkMoans said:
    p90fool said:
    If I was prone to wearing hats generally I might wear one on stage, but nothing says "sad amateur guitarist" like boots with heels, self consciously worn hats and irrelevant motorcycle clothing. 

These are things you can get away with on a big stage under proper lights, but they look embarrassing in a boozer.

Although one band I depped for was so terrible I'd have worn a full face helmet with a tinted visor if they'd let me. 
    There’s a bloke who plays in a friend’s band who sports a ‘self consciously worn’ hat. You’re right - it’s an awful look in a pub - though less so if you’re Stevie Ray Vaughn....

Smarter than a T-shirt, less restricting than a blazer (and you don't have the unfortunate side effect of looking like Clapton), and of course nothing screams retro kookiness more than the combination of a hat, bow tie, and a waist coat. Waxed curly moustache optional
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    underdog said:
    JerkMoans said:
    p90fool said:

Smarter than a T-shirt, less restricting than a blazer (and you don't have the unfortunate side effect of looking like Clapton), and of course nothing screams retro kookiness more than the combination of a hat, bow tie, and a waist coat. Waxed curly moustache optional
    Although the country squire/ check waistcoat was Clapton's apparel of choice during some of his most drug hazed moments. 

I'm alright with any level of stage clothing however daft, if it helps you feel the part. My only pet hate is the all in black band look which is rarely carried off well. It seems to attempt to be rock'n'roll moody and anonymous at the same time but bands just look like empty handed puppeteers.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Having grown taller than my hair, my head now pokes through into the sky. I do wear hats to combat the effects of weather (be it too much sun or the cold/wet). But I also glow (feminine inclusion there) a lot, especially on stage, so hats for more than a couple of numbers is a no no. Also long sleeves, jackets, ties etc. never last beyond about 4 numbers.
    I'm not averse to dressing in my own twattish style, but comfort takes a preceedance.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    I've noticed the majority of people who give online guitar lessons seem to wear hats to cover balding heads, I'd never considered the hat might contain their talent and without it they wouldn't be able to play.

The worst fashion disaster ever was wearing a suit type jacket/blazer with sleeves rolled up, corporate rock, the saddest thing of all time.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    underdog said:
    JerkMoans said:
    p90fool said:

I just don't get it, waistcoats are either for a) requirement for a suited occasion or b) reffing a snooker match
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    JerkMoans said:
    p90fool said:

It's a shame I can only LOL this once.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Definitely not a fedora. They have all sorts of unpleasant connotations. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    You're following in the footsteps of Don Van Client/Captain Beefheart so likely to be a good choice
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15521
    flat cap for most stuff, bowler for when it's a bit more formal but when I really want to push the boat out, it can only be a top hat.
    Oh, except for the hot weather, then it's a nice pith helmet, the style worn by the soldiers in Zulu.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Move over Slash 

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Could you rock this ensemble perhaps? Feathers essential

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited October 2018
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    So small update I've bought a hat - in fact two. I can confirm without any doubt that wearing a hat improves playing by 20% minimum ;)) Pics to follow ;)