Gibson gets its fingerboard wood back from US Government...

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
Does this mean we can get a Gibson again without the silly baked alaska now??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    This happened long ago didn't it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    We've been able to for quite a while, weren't all the 2013 models solid rosewood 'boards?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I think LPJ's and SGJ's used the baked maple but all others in 2013 were rosewood yes.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited April 2014

Rosewood was back on the menu a long while back, however, it was layered rosewood on the majority of models.

2 x 3mm thickness boards for the fingerboards, and multi piece for the acoustic bridges.

Fretboard example:

Here is a bridge lamination :

• Nowt wrong with the baked maple imo.
  • I've had both baked maple (SG Jnr 60's) and richlite (Midtown custom) boards and they were both just fine. And a bold statement here, but in a blind test I reckon 90% of players wouldn't be able to tell you that the baked maple wasn't rosewood and that the richlite wasn't ebony.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    I've had both baked maple (SG Jnr 60's) and richlite (Midtown custom) boards and they were both just fine. And a bold statement here, but in a blind test I reckon 90% of players wouldn't be able to tell you that the baked maple wasn't rosewood and that the richlite wasn't ebony.
    I think I could tell the difference between rosewood and baked maple purely by the grain but that said I see nothing wrong with using alternative woods for fretboards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited April 2014
    After seeing this report of the Government Studio model I set out to find the weight of it to see any difference... strangely Gibson are rather obscure about broadcasting model weights but some Googling revealed some info. My late 2006 Studio has a lovely ebony board and weighs in at weighty 7.7lbs - by contrast, my '86 Yamaha SG2000s comes in at just over 9lbs, so I can assume my Studio is non chambered! 

Actually you can hear is non chambered by judicious tapping of body. You can hear the weight relief section in the upper hip area where ALL post '82 LPs are relieved

Some other Forum posted Facts here|:

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Guthrie raves about it on his Suhr. Apparently.
  • The only negative i can say about mine on my junior special is that, as daft as it sounds, there's a bigger build up of "finger crud" on the fretboard compared to my other guitars even tho i dont play it any more than the others.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    57Deluxe said:
    After seeing this report of the Government Studio model I set out to find the weight of it to see any difference... strangely Gibson are rather obscure about broadcasting model weights but some Googling revealed some info. My late 2006 Studio has a lovely ebony board and weighs in at weighty 7.7lbs - by contrast, my '86 Yamaha SG2000s comes in at just over 9lbs, so I can assume my Studio is non chambered! 

Actually you can hear is non chambered by judicious tapping of body. You can hear the weight relief section in the upper hip area where ALL post '82 LPs are relieved

Some other Forum posted Facts here|:

That's a bit out of date now as some of the newer traditional are solid and not weight relieved.