Stereo Fender Twin opinions.

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
edited April 2014 in Amps
I've been after a stereo set up for a while now and adding a second head and cab just isn't really happening as I can't find what I'm after really, well what I can afford too. 

So as much as I love my amp I'm pondering selling it and my 2x12 to buy 2 used Twins. Which would probably leave me enough to buy a good drive pedal. I already have a Fredric Mutant Fuzz and a clone Super Hard On. So one that I would use a lot as my main drive sounds. American high gain stuff, SLO, Mesa type tones.  

Anyone have any thoughts, or recommendations if going for this set up? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    edited April 2014
    Bud, I'd be more inclined to go 2 x DRRI with extn cabs x 2.

You'll be deaf with the Twins!!

Plus you need to match them up- like 100w or 135w then the speakers.

However, if you go for it, I'd get one Twin with crappy speakers, swap out for Celestion G12 75's for dirt, and then scour the net for my clean one, with the fabled JBL D120F's.

Keef R is all about Celestion's in Twins...it's a left field one but it works.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I'm already pretty deaf anyhow. 

:)

I'm also not bothered about reverb as my big sky will be doing all that work. I just want a spanking naturally compressed type squashed clean tone and simplicity for drive options to accommodate my stereo wants. 
  • Twins sound great with Celestions, but can sound too honky with vintage 30's. I would be more inclined to get a Marshall 4x12 cab in stereo, and use a 50w head for OD tones and a dual showman head for cleans. Best of all worlds.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    Twins don't 'naturally compress' at anything like the volume levels most venues will allow. A pair of DRRIs sounds like a better bet to me.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17638
    tFB Trader
    That's going to be crazy big, crazy heavy and crazy loud. Will sound ace though.

If I was doing the same I'd be more inclined to have a pair of deluxe reverb heads into a stereo cab. 

If you want awesome cleans without worrying about drive, or reverb I'd buy that Puretone head and cab on the classifieds.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    How much power do you need?  How about a couple of Cornford Roadhouse's, either 30'sor 50's?  I am really struck by the quality of tone and amount of sound my 30 puts out.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    To be honest a pair of Twins is massive overkill (even if you have road crew!).

I can happily exist with these as a stereo pair and have great combinations of grunt an harmonic rich clean. The Tweed Deluxe is 6V6 12w and the Pignose is 6L6 and a whopping 40w. Together these sound like a classic 59 Bassman.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I want two amps to run at the same time. so I was looking at an extra head and cab that could be just simple clean and dirty controlled by one latching footswitch, but finding an amp I like that would do that, would compliment my current amp and be real cheap just hasn't happened. 

I was really interested in the th30 heads but I'm just really not sure.

This way, I sell my head and cab which would pay for two twins plus a good pedal bypassing all the channel changing stuff.  However, maybe I'm making it more awkward for myself looking at some responses here. 
    I also would prefer both amps to be fairly wide apart as I'm going to mix them panned hard left and right both live and recorded.  So the single cab two heads is another thought I've had but feels like a compromise. Would get the effect I'm after on record and live but not when rehearsing. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Unless you are standing dead Center in font you ain't gonna get a stereo effect anyway. 
     Never heard anybody get a decent stereo tone live, as the audience are never in position for it anymore than guitarist. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Even if we mic both amps and pan hard? 

@ICBM - DROOL!
    tFB Trader
    I don't think so. 

I've never heard anyone actually achieve it live. You might be better off with a Wet/Dry rig.
    Hhhmmm.... well that maybe just shows I shouldn't waste half a year planning on something unless I know it works.

I had all sorts of ideas using very slow ping pong delays and the stereo sounds from my 3 big strymons but I might just start saving my cash for something else.

...I'm actually a little grumpy now.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    edited April 2014
    Players who use a lot of effects (Andy Summers and David Gilmour are good examples) use - as @monquixote says - a 'wet/dry' rig, where the processed signals run through one amp, with an uneffected signal running straight into the other. The idea is not to be 'stereo' but to have more control over the blend and preserve more 'core' tone.

If you pan the two amps hard left and hard right through the PA, it would depend where you were in the venue as to how effective the blend would be. If you happened to be very close to the 'wet' side, you would hear mainly effected signal and very little dry - or vice/versa. For this reason, the FOH mix is almost always mono, or each 'side' panned only marginally to the left or right of centre.
    Ah, not what I was after at all.

I wanted both amps wet and panned hard. I had some ideas when messing on at home with stereo set ups on Amplitube with my pedals and had this idea of making it into a main rig. I guess I can't afford to just blast a load of money trying it out, or worse sell a set up that sounds great already.

Thanks for reigning in this GAS guys.
    tFB Trader
    Why don't you just borrow an amp off someone and give it a try at your next gig.

A cheaper option would be to use a stereo feed from an amp sim to the PA and just use your amp as a monitor.
    My band just split up, gonna start a new one and fancied getting a set up right from the start.

I had quite a settled one for a while and I've totally pissed about for the last few years.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    To be accurate I'm not using the Trem-o-verbs in 'stereo' either - in fact I'm selling one of them since I don't really need two. (Although I keep wondering if I should change my mind!)

The only time I've run both together at all was to see what it sounded like with a 'stereo' (ie one pickup to each amp, not stereo FX) Rickenbacker, and that was just at home.

I used two Fender Super Champs in proper stereo with a stereo FX processor in a band I was once in though. I always had them side-by-side, and the mix was always at least 50% dry to both amps, so really the 'stereo' was not particularly wide - it just gave a bit more 'space' to the sound than running both amps in mono, no more than that. If I was ever mic'ed I never did both amps, because actually mixing stereo chorus back into mono through the PA would remove most of the effect anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

One just popped up on eBay too. Not that I ever look.