How do you get that sound?

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
edited November 2018 in Guitar
Thought I'd use the collective wisdom of the fretboard to ask how you can get that sound.

Specifically the clean guitar sound in this track. It's lovely.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited November 2018
    Ahh, it's been ages since I listened to Eels... I remember getting addicted to "World of S***" for a while.

gringopig said:
    Sounds like a classic guitar into clean Fender amp. Reverb on and a hint of delay. It sounds like a single coil but might be a humbucker at a pinch. It's a nice sound indeed but a clean Fender amp with a spring reverb is a beautiful thing.
    Amazing how differently two people hear things I'm not saying you're wrong, and I'm definitely not saying I'm right, but to me, the very first guitar played sounds like a Duesenberg or something along those lines. Something that very might have P90s in, through a nice clean amp with a bit of verb like your say.

EDIT: Just googled the name of the frontman. Seems he plays mostly Danelectro guitars, but there's also a picture of him with a guild hollow/semi-hollow. I reckon it could be that Guild.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72379
    An electric guitar into a clean amp with reverb. Some studio compression and EQ as well. There's nothing specific or gear-dependent about it, it's just down to the way it's played, recorded and mixed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    An electric guitar into a clean amp with reverb. Some studio compression and EQ as well. There's nothing specific or gear-dependent about it, it's just down to the way it's played, recorded and mixed.
    my thoughts as well - I could not really nail it down to make/model of any particular guitar and I can think a host of guitars that would get me close - But start with a good clean amp, probably Fender based, with reverb
  • He plays Danos ALOT. On the Hombre Loco tour I saw he pretty much played two different Danos all night.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12902
    edited November 2018
    You can get there with most guitars but like the other guys say thats almost certainly a Dano. 

Also, he's probably playing it with a capo fairly high up the neck, there are quite a few eels songs where he plays open chords around the fifth or seventh frets. It really helps give it that nice open jangle. 

• Boom! Capo at the 7th fret:

• Mark E Everett... What a life that guy's had outside his outstanding music career.

He used a LP Junior (the single pickup version) on a lot of earlier albums.

When I saw them live it was Dano U2 reissues.

I'm not sure that guy with the Guild is him. Far too unravaged by life.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72379

I'm not sure that guy with the Guild is him. Far too unravaged by life.
    It’s not, it’s the other guy in the band. (Can’t remember his name.)

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/mark-oliver-everett-the-eels-frontman-on-lost-loves-parallel-universes-and-staying-positive-9202630.html

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Fairs fair. Aren't those Dano's super cheap? I've always thought they looked awesome.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    An Eastwood H7 xx would get you there too
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>