Did you relalise Gregor Hilden had moved?

What's Hot

Comments

• I only look at his videos occasionally, but I like his style of playing. I don't seem to remember seeing threads here complaining of David Gilmore sounding like David Gilmour. I much prefer demos like this as opposed to the ones played with a massive amount of gain plus/minus modulation where you're somehow expected to appreciate the underlying tonality of the guitar being played.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22857
    edited November 2018
    I don't seem to remember seeing threads here complaining of David Gilmore sounding like David Gilmour.
    That's because none of us have ever heard David Gilmore.  Does he really sound like David Gilmour?  If he does we'll complain about him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    edited November 2018
    Snags said:
    I'm just desperately avoiding work. And, you know, there's the teddy thing.
    I clicked one of the YouTube links and got an ad for https://www.heathrow.com/file_source/Heathrow/Content/More/Bears/index.html 

Enjoy!
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Greg's a very tasteful player, but when I'm looking for videos to research my latest six-stringed obsession, I don't look at his demos, because I know what it will sound like - all the others. No criticism of his playing, because it's better than mine, but everything seems to sound more or less the same, which (to me) defeats the object of demoing an individual guitar. 
    Call me Dave.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I have no idea who this man is. Why are his domestic arrangements of interest? Am I missing something?
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited November 2018
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't seem to remember seeing threads here complaining of David Gilmore sounding like David Gilmour.
    That's because none of us have ever heard David Gilmore.  Does he really sound like David Gilmour?  If he does we'll complain about him.
    Predictive Text strikes again...grrrrhh
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    Predictive Ted would have been funnier
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22857
    edited November 2018
    DB1 said:
    Greg's a very tasteful player, but when I'm looking for videos to research my latest six-stringed obsession, I don't look at his demos, because I know what it will sound like - all the others. No criticism of his playing, because it's better than mine, but everything seems to sound more or less the same, which (to me) defeats the object of demoing an individual guitar. 

I don't think you can really get any idea of what a guitar sounds like from a YouTube video, unless it's a direct comparison between two or more similar guitars using the same amp(s).

As for Gregor, I think it would help if he just smiled a bit and said hello, today I'm playing a Custom Shop Tele, then told us something about it.  As it is, it seems like he just sits there all day noodling away to himself but every now and then a mystery person comes and surreptitiously grabs the guitar out of his hands and replaces it, without him noticing.  And off he goes again.

edited November 2018
    Yes, point taken, and I agree to a large extent, but I think Greg has so little variation in the tone of the guitars in his demos that it becomes a bit pointless. I recently listened to a chap (I wish I could remember his name) who demo'd an L-5 Signature and an ES-5 Switchmaster reissue recently, and managed to capture the flavour of them both. 

Edit: It was Musician's Friend
    Call me Dave.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    DB1 said:
    Yes, point taken, and I agree to a large extent, but I think Greg has so little variation in the tone of the guitars in his demos that it becomes a bit pointless. I recently listened to a chap (I wish I could remember his name) who demo'd an L-5 Signature and an ES-5 Switchmaster reissue recently, and managed to capture the flavour of them both. 

Do you know his brother, Fisherman's?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    prlgmnr said:
    DB1 said:

Do you know his brother, Fisherman's?
    That takes me back a few years - I often used to pop one of those in my mouth on a cold day. I believe there was also a lozenge of the same name.....
    Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    /\ nothing like a bit of Fisherman's cream on your hands either...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • munckee said:
    Does he still have the mic teddy or did it keep the other flat in the settlement?
    That has to be the most stoned teddy ever! I'll let you into a secret, Greg never used that amp, its sole purpose was to prop up Teddy!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    I hope he moved to a penthouse...........then that Elevator music won't go to waste zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    jellyroll said:
    I find it harsh that he is demo-ing guitars but gets judged for his artistry but like everyone else I am equally bored and surprised that he can make every guitar sound the same.
    @jellyroll But he *is* an artist! Just one with another source of income, like many lower-tier acts. Just his source happens to be dealing in instruments. Source: interview of him as an artist in German magazine Gitarre & Bass a few years ago when he had some sort of tour to promote.

I was aware of the teddy, but I thought the pressing issue with him had always been whether or not he was using nail varnish? Whenever I clicked on his vids, that was the recurring theme in the comments. Like whether Ola Englund wears lipstick or not...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    JohnPerry said:
    I can't be 100% certain but I think he has the same sofa as me
    How can you tell? He makes all sofas look the same. 
    :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5262
    edited November 2018
    I always find myself drawn to his rather odd coloured finger nails, which were, according to german gossip mags, the reason his partner was drawn to him in the first place!

there is also a nice feature on the new flat in the German equivalent of Homes and Garden, surprisingly Greg revealed his gentler side and choice pink for the main bedroom, who would have guessed...seems hes a thoroughly modern man...Greg also reveals his boyish side with the now famous Teddy mic stand, which, Hello magazine were keen to report  he may well be using this Teddy and friends whilst out on tour
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited November 2018
    Yes, I knew he'd moved.  Favourite Gregor Hilden video?  Mine is this one.  Love the dynamics and the fast vibrato applied on the note tails.

• I don't mind his videos, done a few decent CD's as well 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0NAofXeieM

And a version of Peter Green's 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzGHte8zObk
    “Ken sent me.”