Changing from Strats to Gretsch....

What's Hot
Galloping infirmity has led to me sitting down for gigs now. This was fine for a while but it became apparent to me that my beloved strats are just not a great sit down guitar. As I have been using a couple of big bodied Gretsch archtop acoustics for acoustic gigs (where I have always been seated) I decided to try a Gretsch archtop electric instead - instant comfort and joy. So... having flirted with a Brian Setzer Hot rod 6120 (which I passed on to a bandmate who loved it) I’ve ended up with a pair of Electromatic 5420s which suit me brilliantly. 

I’m still using various Silverface amps (but mainly a 68 Custom Reissue Vibrolux) which seems to suit the Gretschs really well. 

The issue has turned out to be pedals... 

My current board is big on the magnificent Analog Alien pedals for drive and boost - these work stupendously well with the Strats but seem less suited to the Gretschs. 

The board currently looks  like this 

https://i.imgur.com/nWcQAG8.jpg

First things to say are that the tuner, Phaser and Tremolo are just fine. Second thing is that the yellow Joe Walsh pedal stays because the compressor side is brilliant and I’m working on a sound for the amp sim (5E3 Deluxe) side. 

However, the Rumble Seat and the Fuzzbubble are no longer doing what I want. I need an always on boost/very mild drive pedal to replace the fuzzbubble (I don’t think fuzz works at all with the Gretschs) and a simple delay for slap back/rockabilly stuff and a slightly fruitier drive to replace the Rumble Seat. Don’t need Reverb on the board. I’m also thinking about a second delay for that very short delay lead sound a la Matt Schofield (where would that delay come in the chain?)

The main thing is that this should all be suited to the Gretsch Guitars rather than the Strats of old. 

Any Suggestions? 

I am considering Tumnus for boost, lovepedal echobaby for one of the delays, maybe a hoochie mama for drive.... 

The Analog Alien pedals will head for the classifieds once I am clear on the way ahead. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    The strat isn't a great sit down guitar!?!  :open_mouth: 

I'd rather have a Gretsch than an SSS though, anyday.

I'll leave this thread for more helpful comments.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    My go-to with vintage Fender amps and hollowbodies for a mild drive is still the Nobels ODR-1. 

You can dial it in so it's almost totally transparent, then slowly add a touch of grit, which most overdrive pedals just can't do. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5758
    You might find the Deco does all that your looking for. Boost on one side and tape delay on the other. Both beautifully subtle and controllable, so you get a very transparent boost up to a light grit. And on the other side, a little phase, chorus and up to slap back type delays. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    edited November 2018
    Timmy, Barber Burn Unit, Barber half gainer. 
    All extremely popular with the good fellows over at Gretsch Talk. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You've not quite explained what you are after. Fatter or raspier? How much mids, low or high? Bass to be warm and big or thinner clear.
    FWIW if you play in the neck or middle, I like the Liquid Sunshine Mkii or if you need more low end the Supreux (Jhs thunderbolt). Slightly gritty Neil Young style low gainers.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    https://www.thenocturnebrain.com/collections/pedals

All the nocturne pedals are designed to be used with Gretsch guitars..I know a few on here already use them and speak very highly of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Brilliant answers and much to investigate. I certainly don’t want low end - clarity is important to me. Thank you gents.