One of the best live singing performances I've ever seen - warning cheesy 80s rock content

What's Hot
DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7181
edited November 2018 in Music
I've got a young student who loves Dont Stop Believin' , probably due to the more recent Glee incarnation but I'm going to teach them the main riffs next week.

I did a bit of Google research to reacquaint myself with the song and was very much looking forward to seeing/hearing Neil Schon tearing it up. Instead I was mesmerised by how effortlessly Steve Perry just banged the tune out - have a watch of this, I know it's a bit passe but it's still a hell of a tune....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6127
    Nice! I do believe that's a Les Paul Pro Deluxe that Neil's playing. (I've got one of those  :)  )
    Such a great band.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7181
    edited November 2018
    equalsql said:
    Nice! I do believe that's a Les Paul Pro Deluxe that Neil's playing. (I've got one of those    )
    Such a great band.
    Only let down by the fact that Steve Perry claps like an 8 year old girl in assembly.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22911
    Perry is/was fucking amazing.  A lot of Journey's music is too way too syrupy and ballady for my liking, but if someone says "best singer" Steve Perry is usually the first person who springs to mind.

In a similar(ish) vein, Tommy Shaw is a fantastic live singer.  I've spent most of my life going to gigs and just accepting the fact that the singers will sound pretty ropey compared with the records, but there are exceptions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Arnel Pineda doesn't do a bad job, either.

• Probably not something I would listen to a lot but beautifully effortless. Interesting reading just a little bit about him how the rest of the band seemed to have treated him badly - he needed time off to care for his unwell mother and then for a hip operation and they seem to have said if you aren't reliable don't bother turning up. Killing the golden goose type stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Steve Perry is my favourite singer of all time. He has great phrasing, tone and soul. His idol was Sam Cooke, however, have you heard Deen Castronovo sing (ex-Journey drummer and now with Revolution Saints and The Dead Daisies)? He's a deadringer for Perry. I've heard him live a couple of times and he's extraordinary!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I saw Journey a few years ago, with Whitesnake and Thunder.

Thunder were brilliant.

Whitesnake were a bit embarrassing.

Journey were awful.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited November 2018

prowla said:
    I saw Journey a few years ago, with Whitesnake and Thunder.

Thunder were brilliant.

Whitesnake were a bit embarrassing.

Journey were awful.
    I agree with the above. Thunder always deliver, as do other Brit faves FM. Dan Reed Network, Nightranger, Extreme, Eric Martin are others that can still do it, too and I've seen all of these in the last year.

I saw a line up about 14 years ago of Foreigner, Journey & Styx and Journey were the weak link. Arnel (singer) was ok but Schon's sound was awful and his playing messy and I like him! Foreigner's 'new-ish' vocalist, Kelly Hansen, was in fine voice and energy but visually, the band looked wrong but Styx were the ones who delivered on all counts on that night.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Steve Perry did have a beautiful, pure sounding voice on all the Journey stuff. Excellent singer.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2018
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.