Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Telecasters.. CS or new American Original 60's

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2383
    Any moment soon the Classic Vibe fanboys will surface and suggest you save your money and buy a '60....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I have one of the MIM Laquer series that I got from @meltedbuzzbox , ridiculously good Tele, don’t  rule out the cheaper options when you can drop in some decent pickups etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I bought a Fender American original 60’s tele last weekend. Absolutely a fantastic guitar, I’ve had 5 telecasters over the years and this ones far superior to the others. The pickups are excellent and the guitar weighs a shade over 7lbs. Wouldn’t pay the crazy prices for a custom shop.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9317
    CloudNine said:
    chris78 said:
    A few people are saying about the lsl’s. Got to be honest, I’ve played a couple in Peach and didn’t rate them at all. Build your own partscaster rather than getting someone else to do so for you is my view of lsl.

I know you want to hear than American Originals are as good as cs guitars so go for that, but they really aren’t. The best production line was the now discontinued 64 tele. Genuinely great. Pretty much all lightweight (I’ve seen examples under 7lbs). People will tell you the custom shop is all marketing etc, but those guys know how to put a guitar together. I’m not sure if it’s woods or pickups, but they use superior quality materials from frets to woods to wire, they know how to put the things together and they’re right. Buy an original and you’ll have a great guitar, but the fact you asked means you’ll want to step up at some stage. Hang on for the right cs and you’ll have it for life.

Not sure that the Partscaster argument is any different when considering Fenders tbh. With regard to LSL, I have no horse in the race, dont own one anymore, but I do believe they are worth consideration. I am guessing you are a Fender CS owner? They are great too, but there is no magic, and they definitely don't use better woods or pickups like you suggest, if anything I believe often the opposite. Some Fenders seem a little overweight to me. Pickups, the best ones I have had, have been non Fender, no doubt about that. If someone wants the Big F, then no point in having this conversation, but the OP asked what else was out there. I am not knocking Fender at all, I love them, and the quality they achieve, given the volume, is superb.

In terms of Telecaster Style guitars, I have had numerous CS's, as well as T's from LSL, Haar, Rocketfire, Rebel Relic, Suhr, Anderson, King Bee, Crinson, and some I have probably forgotten, and the LSL's were right up there with having the best tone and feel. Although I probably haven;t played really recent ones, so maybe they aren't quite as good anymore. 
    I’ve had or tried pretty much everything too. The only other brand I’d give consideration too is Palir if the OP can find one used. Great great necks, though I thought the Porter pickups were pretty lame.

YMMV but my CS Fenders stay with me, other brands don’t. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepy said:
    I have one of the MIM Laquer series that I got from @meltedbuzzbox , ridiculously good Tele, don’t  rule out the cheaper options when you can drop in some decent pickups etc
    That is a ridiculously good tele. 
    Those mojo Pickups make it an absolute beast of a thing
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • A used AV64 (or Pure Vintage as they were called later) is worth looking for, as long as you don't mind the self-relicing nitro. Totally nails the feel and tone of a 60s Tele. 
    I tried an American Original 60s when demoing an amp and I have to say it was a cracker - I'd be very happy with one of those. 
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for the responses all...

Having given it some thought I decided that only a CS would do..

I owe @barnstorm a pint because this beauty was exactly the specification I was looking for;

http://www.bigfoot-guitars.de/portfolio-items/2011-fender-custom-shop-custom-telecaster-nos/

It is now winging its way to Hertfordshire

Si

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14273
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the responses all...

Having given it some thought I decided that only a CS would do..

I owe @barnstorm a pint because this beauty was exactly the specification I was looking for;

http://www.bigfoot-guitars.de/portfolio-items/2011-fender-custom-shop-custom-telecaster-nos/

It is now winging its way to Hertfordshire

Si

nice pics on his site  - very impressive - Hope it pans out all nice 'n' well for you
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    @grappagreen  - How are you finding the Tele?
  • @www - really loving it! Thanks for asking..

I’m glad I held out for the CS even though I thought I’d never find the ‘one’ - I’ll be eternally grateful to @barnstorm who spotted it. 

Visually it’s stunning and it plays really nicely - is it a keeper? Only time will tell but I’ve stopped looking so that’s a good sign :)

The guys @ Bigfoot were great to deal with btw as well.

One last thanks must go to @ICBM who pointed me towards the modern Tele wiring layout - ironically I only completed this work this morning and have spent the rest of the day in Tele heaven.

Si
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    It looked a stunner - really pleased you're enjoying it!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I don't understand these new American Original 60's - they're either new or they are Original 60s..
  • If you haven't got one of the AO yet go at try one.

I have a AO 60's Tele in LPB and its one of the best guitars I have ever played! I have and have had some what I thought were really resonant and alive feeling guitars... Until I got my AO tele which rings like a bell when played acoustically .

I got it as a blind deal on ebay and it was worth every penny! 

As for the pick ups..  I love the bridge one but the neck is good but not really my cup of tea, I think I like a twisted tele neck better.

Compared to a custom shop though its kinda a different animal. The custom shop you would be paying for the extra attention to detail that it would get in the factory and of course the badge on the headstock that would help if you ever sold it. 
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I'm not one for this sort of thing (never owned a tele before), but I'd say look outside the brands if I were you.  I've just bought my first Tele, but it ain't no Fender.  It's a custom shop plus from a British Luthier.  You've got to be inventive and take a chance if you want better than the norm.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/pCcZ4VdL6gMrkpZ78
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/JBeriCdPN5mrf2u46
    Play's as good as it looks too.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom