Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Happy Holidays...

What's Hot
SnapSnap Frets: 6265

No.

Stop this nonsense. I mean, come on, since when was he called Father Holidays?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Where does this happen in Britain?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Another one of those stupid Americanisms that’s creeping over here and probably being promoted by the PC brigade who’re afraid of upsetting anyone. I’ve got several Muslim mates who will quite happily wish me a Happy Xmas... in fact I honestly don’t know anyone who gets offended by the phrase, unless they deliberately set out to be. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Only an idiot would worry about this. It’s Hanukkah as well.

And I know as many atheist know it alls who get offended by “Happy Christmas” as folks who care about other folks expressing positive vibes. 

Who cares?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Only an idiot would worry about this. It’s Hanukkah as well.

And I know as many atheist know it alls who get offended by “Happy Christmas” as folks who care about other folks expressing positive vibes. 

Who cares?

Exactly. One thing that The Donald does that I agree with, is make a point of saying Christmas, at every opportunity.

Holidays?? Just what the chuffing chuff? I have my holidays in the summer, and I don't wish people happy holidays as they jet off to the Med either. It probably is due to the oh so sensitive americans not wanting to offend someone. I am just waiting for some berk in the UK celebrating Thanksgiving next.

Merry Chuffing Christmas one and all!

Hooraaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I'm not sure to what extent this is happening but maybe it's so retailers can cast the widest net. It is Hanukkah as well (Dec 2-10)
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    I love the fact that holidays means holy days anyway :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Holidays are coming....Holidays are coming.....Holidays are coming
    I think it's just so they can sell more Coke
    hate those bullshit adverts......all those starry eyed families at their windows as a filthy polluting ,oversize lorry convoy rolls through their chocolate box little New England snowy Town ............yeah right
    The irony is that they aren't really holidays at all in the USA where the culture is to work people to death....they have one day off work ...the 25th only
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I call it Father Sales. That time of the year when we have the Xmas Eve sales, the Xmas Day sales, the Boxing Day sales and the Day After Boxing Day sales to prepare us for the New Year's Day sales. Shopping never got tougher.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    This nonsense gets right on my thruppenies.

Interestingly, nobody used to get offended (on others' behalf, almost entirely) back when I was growing up. Christians had Christmas, we had Chanukah, and atheists had, well, whatever they had but with better telly. I was never offended by the mention of Christmas, I didn't feel excluded or discriminated against.

Some people have entirely too much time on their hands and too little to occupy their meagre brains.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28378
    I favour "Merry Winterval"  as that seems to provoke the strongest reactions.

Lady BMcH prefers "Giftmas" but fortunately it's one of the few things we're both pretty tolerant about. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265

I think its pretty straightforward really - its Christmas.

And actually, I believe it should also be "Merry" Christmas, not "Happy".

I am indifferent about religion, but I do like a carol as well. That ding dong merrily on high, that's a good un, with the drunken roaring of glooooooooooooooooarorrrrrroooooooorrrr yeeee aaaaaahhhhh and all that. Who doesn't enjoy a bit of that?

Put the decorations up this weekend you see, got me all festive and that.

Christmas decorations, not holidays decorations.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:

Interestingly, nobody used to get offended (on others' behalf, almost entirely) back when I was growing up. Christians had Christmas, we had Chanukah, and atheists had, well, whatever they had but with better telly. I was never offended by the mention of Christmas, I didn't feel excluded or discriminated against.

Some people have entirely too much time on their hands and too little to occupy their meagre brains.
    ^ have a wiz sir!

Honestly if all you have to worry about in your life is getting upset about the phrase Merry Christmas, then you can relax your life is fucking good :)

• I don’t really see/ hear this a lot , I’d certainly struggle to think of an example outside of American content where it’s the norm. I think saying ooh this is a terrible Americanism is just something that pops up for five minutes every December after someone has seen a coke advert.
    Although I’m fairly sure I couldn’t care less whatever people call it, I’ll be dancing naked around an evergreen on the winter solstice regardless. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    scrumhalf said:

We atheists had christmas too, if you can look past the man who can deliver toys to every child in the world in a single night with flying reindeer then its not much of a stretch to a dude who can walk on water, heal the sick and come back from the dead.
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    The only time I see anything vaguely contentious is on Facebook, and it's generally along the lines of "IT'S NOT HAPPY HOLIDAYS IT'S MERRY CHRISTMAS - FUMIN - SHARE IF YOU THINK THIS IS A DISK RACE".

Or something.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    hate those bullshit adverts......all those starry eyed families at their windows as a filthy polluting ,oversize lorry convoy rolls through their chocolate box little New England snowy Town ............yeah right
    The irony is that they aren't really holidays at all in the USA where the culture is to work people to death....they have one day off work ...the 25th only
    Apparently Father Christmas used to dress in green but Coca-Cola changed him to wearing red.
  • What about a Festivus, for the rest of us?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What about a Festivus, for the rest of us?
    You can have Ramadan, or Passover. Your choice!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Bluebeard said:
    Dominic said:
    Apparently Father Christmas used to dress in green but Coca-Cola changed him to wearing red.
    That gets said a lot but it's not true. 

What about a Festivus, for the rest of us?

With a Festivus pole and the airing of grievances? All round to yours on 23rd December .
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    MrBump said:
    The only time I see anything vaguely contentious is on Facebook, and it's generally along the lines of "IT'S NOT HAPPY HOLIDAYS IT'S MERRY CHRISTMAS - FUMIN - SHARE IF YOU THINK THIS IS A DISK RACE".

Or something.
    The only time I see it in the UK too.

I gather it’s more common in the US, but they put their dates the wrong way around so what hope is there.