Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Long time no wossname!

What's Hot

Comments

• Wahey Manic! Been a very long time since I played through one of your (admittedly only half) stacks. Still Physics-ing?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    awright matey !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12376
    Eh up matey. Good to see you back  ;)
  • Here's a nice easy one to get you started ;)

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Hullo again, Mark.

To answer your question: sure. There's a large archive of such backing tracks from Guitarist, Total Guitar and Guitar Techniques. @Fretwired used to maintain a list of what had been done where. This site will do for now: https://sites.google.com/site/guitarmagsongs/

To my knowlege, almost all those are without vocals. Line 6 had a highly produced version of the same thing to go with their Guitar Port thing for some time, I'm sure those tracks are floating around somewhere, too. I think those had vocals.

The classical lot refer to this as "music minus one", i.e. one instrument missing on the recording for you to play live. The German Gitarre&Bass/Sticks have years worth of this sort of thing, just search their website for something you fancy. You can download a whole package of backing tracks and select a part to play based on the transcription included. These have vocals, most I've heard have been very solid covers. Shout if you need help with the lingo, though these days the automated translations will probably be enough to get you through.

Then there's the approach of "grabbing stems". Lots of original multitrack recordings are available (largely thanks to things like the Rockband/Guitar Hero games, I gather) in their component parts for remixing, etc. The production crowd will be able to tell you more. I just know that it's now possible to listen to a single guitar part from a famous album. Often on YouTube. Bosh all that into some recording software, shove the faders around to taste, and mute whichever instrument you fancy playing that day.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's a nice easy one to get you started ;)

Ooof...remember getting the book for that when I was at Uni....spending a few hours on it and thinking "f**k it" and going to get a beer...

Is young (now not so young!) Thomas Ross still on here? Claiming that everyone could play like Steve Vai if they really wanted to? He was/is a decent person, great guitarist too but a tad naive I felt at the time about that comment...or maybe I was (am!) just stuck in my ways playing ACDC and Maiden...and spending too much time drinking beer to put the effort in! :D 

Cheers for all the suggestions - I'll try to cruft myself some MP3s so I can play them through my stereo and crank one of the Marshalls up in the front room. :)

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited December 2018
    Hi @manicguitarist. I thought you might be dead. Or moved to Can-adia. Or something.

My Twitter profile pic is me playing a guitar in front of your silver Marshall stack, at a jam you organised years ago - remember that?  My wife was pregnant at the time, and the "baby" was 7 last week, WTF!

Anyways, now that you've here, don't be a whatsiname (stranger/cnut). :)  Also, if you come to the Birmingham guitar show in February, I'll buy you a pint.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi @manicguitarist. I thought you might be dead. Or moved to Can-adia. Or something.

My Twitter profile pic is me playing a guitar in front of your silver Marshall stack, at a jam you organised years ago - remember that?  My wife was pregnant at the time, and the "baby" was 7 last week, WTF!

Anyways, now that you've here, don't be a whatsiname (stranger/cnut). :)  Also, if you come to the Birmingham guitar show in February, I'll buy you a pint.

The "baby" - they grow quickly. Jnr was 11 last week. My life is now dodging nerf gun bullets as I come out of the shower!
    Twittter...ah yes. I spend a lot of time there. Mainly, it would seem, eliciting death threats from snow flakes and communists. :D

What is your twitter handle? Mine is manicguitarist...picture of my dogs as the avatar.

I've not been to a guitar show in *years* (maybe 30?)...are they any good these days?

@thomasross20 is still about. And an even better player than he was then, having kept up the practise... I think he's not far off right, either: if you put enough hours in and get the right help in the right places, you too can do most of what Vai does. Learning to create like Vai, well that's a different thing entirely. It's not all about technique. Far from it, in fact.

When folks have asked after you over the years, I've directed them to your twitter account.
  • Woah, blast from the past! Good to see you @manicguitarist !
    I still stand by what I said lol (thanks, @DLM!) - it's been a long time in the making but I'm still making an album I hope Vai would be proud of lol...

• DLM said:
    @thomasross20 is still about. And an even better player than he was then, having kept up the practise... I think he's not far off right, either: if you put enough hours in and get the right help in the right places, you too can do most of what Vai does. Learning to create like Vai, well that's a different thing entirely. It's not all about technique. Far from it, in fact.

When folks have asked after you over the years, I've directed them to your twitter account. 

Directed them to my Twitter account...eeek! Twitter is far more combative than here! 
    Yeag...I put hours and hours in years ago...like 8hrs a day for many years...and I reached what I’d describe as “Classic metal/Van Halen” levels of widdly woo...but Vai et-al? Oof

• Woah, blast from the past! Good to see you @manicguitarist !
    I still stand by what I said lol (thanks, @DLM!) - it's been a long time in the making but I'm still making an album I hope Vai would be proud of lol...

Hey man! Good to see you’re still here. One of the good guys. :)
  • You, too! Great to see so many folk from intermusic days still around :) 
  • You, too! Great to see so many folk from intermusic days still around :) 
    Wotchya doin' these days?
    You were like 10yrs old or something back then ;)

Well yeah, I knew you were still out there 'cause I'd seen you in the Twitterverse talking to folks I know from usenet/chatrooms/whatever.
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    Is it 2004 again!?
    @Rave @WithoutAMouth It could well be! ;)

Bring back Baghead!
  • DLM said:
    Well yeah, I knew you were still out there 'cause I'd seen you in the Twitterverse talking to folks I know from usenet/chatrooms/whatever.
    Talking to or arguing with? :D
    Talking to! Respectable folk only, UKMGers and such. I didn't see you in any sort of Twitterverse scuffle at all, but I don't read much, not having an account. I just check the feeds of a few guys who post stuff I'm interested in.
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    DLM said:
    @Rave @WithoutAMouth It could well be! ;)

Bring back Baghead!
    Baghead..haha! Maybe not! Hope you're well DLM!