Fender PRRI 65 Favourite OD/boost pedals

What's Hot
Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 245
edited December 2018 in FX
Hi guys,

Any Fender PRRI 65 owners here?

Whats your favourite od boost pedals for it as currently I only have a ts mini and am looking for something else.  I am not too sure what I want tbh as I dont think there is a one does it all for my needs.  I like the sound of videos of the mad professor royal blue, i like the bluesy sound it gives and dynamics.  I also would like some more sustain for a smoothe lead ala john mayer?

I should say this is also for home use I generally play around 4.5-5 on the master,  And using a 60s strat.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a DRRI rather than a PRRI, but from what you’re saying if you like smooth lead sounds but want more sustain then maybe stick with the TS but also run a compressor into the front of it?
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 861
    I have a 68 PR with a RC speaker - the xotic AC+ works really well with it for what you describe - I prefer it over a TS. Andertons have them on a deal at £135 currently.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12373
    I have the 68 rather than 65, I run a compressor, then a sweet baby overdrive the a tubescreamer.  I run the compressor only for clean, turn off the compressor and on the sweet baby for a clean boost, then add the tubescreamer for lead.  Works for me but I don't go for high gain, no more than Neil Young level gain for example.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    I have a 65 and find it takes most drive pedals really well.

For the smooth sustain sound you mentioned. I have a Xoctic RC boost which works perfect for this sound. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6071
    Barber Direct Drive will give you that smooth singing sustain. Go with the compact version if you can find one.
  • I own a PRRI 65 my current favourites are a Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive and OD-1, the SD-2 sounds brilliant on both the crunch and lead channel.  Others that were good were a Xotic EP booster and as mentioned a Tube Screamer, 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4222
    The humble Nobels ODR-1 sounds great with a strat and a 65 PRRI. 
  • I've owned the 65 Princeton and now own a 68 Deluxe Reverb. I find the Klon style to be the best, slight mid-boost with the Klon that really makes things sing. I've tried most and always come back to the Klon thing. Had a Timmy for a while which was nice but, damn, I missed that mid boost. Happy hunting. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3872
    Tim/Timmy was my favourite when I had a Princeton 65. 'Same but more' tone. Perfect.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 245
    thanks guys lots of options there to check out
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    I don't much like a TS with the Princeton, I prefer OCD types for smooth leads or a Nobels ODR-1 for general use.