Discussion Thread for "Rate My Guitar"

What's Hot
So, I'm not actually sure whether it's actually working or whether people are being pricks about it. Regardless, it's fun to see a few nice pictures of guitars.

Admins, I'm trying not to clutter the main purpose of the other thread, but assume people would like to discuss the politics of forum votes like this. I'm sure there's more to it than simple "like" / "dislike" and that people are being disingenuous in some respects. If so, I'd like to hear from those too.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• People are generally pricks... telling them to follow rules online is unlikely to change that :D

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha, you're right there! I had a feeling that rules wouldn't work. Was worth a try!

I don't get how a relatively fun and innocent exercise entices them to go against the grain, it's weird.

• I don't get how a relatively fun and innocent exercise entices them to go against the grain, it's weird.
    See my last reply.

If nothing else, we all get a boatload of frets 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    This guitar that @not_the_dj posted is an absolute gorgeous guitar to me. I'm typically not a fan of LPs, or that colour, but all things considered, I think it's the best looking guitar in the thread so far.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tenebrous said:
    This guitar that @not_the_dj posted is an absolute gorgeous guitar to me. I'm typically not a fan of LPs, or that colour, but all things considered, I think it's the best looking guitar in the thread so far.

I can't say I'm particularly keen, personally. I guess that's what makes the vote work though. We'll find out one way the other whether people agree or disagree :-)

• Tenebrous said:

Thanks @Tenebrous it was a 40th birthday pressie to myself a few years back. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28211
    I have been being very slightly dickish about it, I suppose.

If I like the looks of it then I vote Wow, and if I dislike the looks of it I vote LOL. If I nearly like it or feel very ambivalent then I vote Wisdom.

That blue sparkly JM is, by some margin, the most beautiful guitar in the thread.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    Tenebrous said:

Thanks @Tenebrous it was a 40th birthday pressie to myself a few years back. 
    It has a pylon stuck on it and thus must be destroyed! :) 
  • I like the blue sparkle. To be fair, @Sporky, the WIS vote by that logic isn't too bad, I accept that. I've had a few where I can't vote either way too.

One thing's for sure, it's fooking brutal isn't it. More dislikes than I had expected on some guitars which I think are really nice! It either goes to show that people will downvote anything or that we, genuinely, all have very varied taste in guitars...I can't quite decide which is truer for this set of people!

• SporkySporky Frets: 28211

One thing's for sure, it's fooking brutal isn't it.
    Ayup.

I have not been kind to brown guitars. Because I don't like them.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    My poor RG is getting laughed at :o Buncha meanies!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited December 2018
    People are generally pricks... telling them to follow rules online is unlikely to change that D
    Too true far too often on here these days. Give a man an inch, and he'll insist on waving the whole of his trois centimetres in your face.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Pretty much everything has more dislikes than likes, I'm not sure what that tells us either :-P
    Exorcist said:
    Pretty much everything has more dislikes than likes, I'm not sure what that tells us either :-P

Just means people are very particular about their tastes. Nout wrong with that, so long as you don't bash/hassle folks over it (like that poster a few weeks back who said his Ibanez drew a lot of snide comments for the dumbest of reasons).
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I'm going to post something and win the lols in about an hour... I can guarantee the votes won't be based on looks as was the threads original intention.. 

Currently cleaning and restringing it.. 

I kind of don't want to feed the trolls... 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    This is just naked fret-whoring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    I've wowed pretty much everything except mainstream stuff which looks a week old. There's a wonderful Mockingbird, a great-looking Framus which looks like one on an old Triumph album I had, and some really interesting-looking custom stuff. 

I have no idea why everyone is giving out the lols - there's a load of guitars there I'd love to try, if not necessarily to own. 
    p90fool said:
    I've wowed pretty much everything except mainstream stuff which looks a week old. There's a wonderful Mockingbird, a great-looking Framus which looks like one on an old Triumph album I had, and some really interesting-looking custom stuff. 

I have no idea why everyone is giving out the lols - there's a load of guitars there I'd love to try, if not necessarily to own. 

That recent hollowbody post of yours is a solid 11/10. Good god that thing is gorgeous.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    There are loads of lol's for some really cool guitars on there and if it was genuine dislike there must be a lot of people who are visually impaired and have a lack of taste .  It's still  pretty funny either way - lets hope if there is another brexit referendum Fretboarders will be disqualified from voting .
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Tenebrous said:

That recent hollowbody post of yours is a solid 11/10. Good god that thing is gorgeous.
    Thanks, it sounds great too. It still attracting lols at a rate of knots though!