String gauges and barre chords

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10724
    It's the middle and low strings that cause the problem I think. So go for the lightest gauge you can that has a wound 3rd. I can't remember what i got but they're well light and very nice and full sounding.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    12-54 and lower the action just a touch. That'll make'er sing! ;) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Yeah, I put a set of .12s on, dropped the action a nat's at the bridge and it's mustard.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    As sweepy said, check the neck relief, a tweak on the truss rod can make a hell of a difference. If people can drop from 13's to 11's without needing to adjust the truss rod, then that probably means it wasn't' set right for the 13's.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    ...also, the difference in tone between 10's and 13's is tiny compared to the difference in hearing a guitarist who is comfortable, and one who is struggling to play, so if 10's is what makes you comfortable, I'd do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    If the problem is around the first three frets it could be a nut issue, try placing a capo on 2nd or 3rd and try some barre chords a little further up. Still have the problem.

I crudely adjusted the nut on my cheap laminate acoustic with a junior hacksaw blade, the B string had a 2mm gap above the 1st fret! Even with a small adjustment to all of the strings it plays an awful lot better, sounds better too. It probably needs more but I am treating myself to a new acoustic in the coming weeks anyway, and didn't want to risk taking it too far. It is scary how far it was off, purchased new about 14 years ago.