Locking tuners for a tele

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704

I never used to be a fan of locking tuners, but after buying a strat with some Gotoh vintage locking tuners on, i’ve grown to like them.  
The ones on my strat seem more stable than the vintage Type Klusons on my Tele.

So will probably just but another set of Gotoh’s for my next Tele build.

Are there any other decent vintage type ones I should be looking at before I go for more gotoh’s?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451

I like the PRS style ones with the coin slot.  Hardly anyone else makes them like that though.  Grover do their full size ones like that, but not the minis.

I'm not personally a big fan of the fancy ones with the cam mechanisms.

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    i use a set of Gotoh Fenders  off a Strat  on my Tele .
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Are you putting a trem on the guitar?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I like the Gotoh vintage. Much better looking than most locking tuners for Strats/Teles in my opinion.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1293
    Kluson and Wilkinson make them too.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    How do you string your guitar? I tried locking tuners, but found that they added weight, but didn’t improve tuning above what you can get by string up using the Martin method http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/106342/how-do-you-restring-your-guitar
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22904
    edited March 2019

If you want vintage types, I'm only aware of two.  There are the Gotohs with a self-locking mechanism in the post (I'm assuming those are the ones you've got), they also make sets which look vintage from the front, but have a rear thumbwheel locking mechanism, like Sperzels.

Related image

TonePros/Kluson used to make a set with a screw-lock at the top of the post, a bit like PRS, but they're no longer available.

Image result for tonepros kluson locking tuners

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    Roland said:
    How do you string your guitar? I tried locking tuners, but found that they added weight, but didn’t improve tuning above what you can get by string up using the Martin method http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/106342/how-do-you-restring-your-guitar

I can't speak for the OP, but I much prefer locking tuners for the ease of changing strings.  It takes half the time.

The downside is that they can add a bit of weight if you get the wrong ones.  That's true for regular tuners as well though.  I wouldn't put a set of full sized Grovers on a guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited March 2019
    I had these fitted to my USA Strat and they're fantastic. They fit straight on with no work needed.
    They're Genuine Fender and I'm pretty sure they fit Tele's as well.