Guild Starfire IV / V

What's Hot
I've become interested in these guitars, and I'm wondering which are regarded as the best, and how the new Korean made ones fair against the old US models?  Any Starfire players out there  I'd love to hear your views.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    If you google Gads rambling. Theres a bloke that reviews  guilds past and present. Might be some help
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    I know that they’re considerably more expensive but I’d be inclined to go for an American built Guild, they were excellent instruments. I did hear, from somebody in the trade, that Guild were in a very poor shape financially prior to the Fender takeover, so poor in fact that they were buying screws from the local hardware store in order to finish instruments. For that reason I’d rather buy an older Guild as corners may have been cut on some of the last pre Fender Guilds.
  • kreggs said:
    If you google Gads rambling. Theres a bloke that reviews  guilds past and present. Might be some help
    Cool, I will do so. Cheers. 
  • StrummyBrummieStrummyBrummie Frets: 266
    edited March 2019
    I know that they’re considerably more expensive but I’d be inclined to go for an American built Guild, they were excellent instruments. I did hear, from somebody in the trade, that Guild were in a very poor shape financially prior to the Fender takeover, so poor in fact that they were buying screws from the local hardware store in order to finish instruments. For that reason I’d rather buy an older Guild as corners may have been cut on some of the last pre Fender Guilds.

I like the idea of a vintage one. But don't we all?  
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    I've got a modern Starfire V and really like it. Have a feeling it's not even Korean, but Chinese.

Build quality seems fine to my untrained eye. No obvious blemishes, nice action (for me) out of the box, intonation easy to tweak and get right, everything works and scratched a semi-hollow itch. I don't think the pickups are anything special, but they're not awful either. Stays in tune, despite what people say about Bigsby-style trems.

I can't compare it to an older USA one though, never having played one.
  • Snags said:
    I've got a modern Starfire V and really like it. Have a feeling it's not even Korean, but Chinese.

Build quality seems fine to my untrained eye. No obvious blemishes, nice action (for me) out of the box, intonation easy to tweak and get right, everything works and scratched a semi-hollow itch. I don't think the pickups are anything special, but they're not awful either. Stays in tune, despite what people say about Bigsby-style trems.

I can't compare it to an older USA one though, never having played one.
    A sensible fella might say that a modern one is a good place to start. I may not be that fella  but I'm sure it's something he might say..
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    Nah, a sensible fella would look secondhand, whereas I got impatient and ponied up for a new one, which was well on the way to a secondhand USA, it turns out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Snags said:
    Nah, a sensible fella would look secondhand, whereas I got impatient and ponied up for a new one, which was well on the way to a secondhand USA, it turns out.
    Impatient is something I understand.. :) 
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    edited March 2019

You do take a bit of a hit in the bank account but when you’ve got it it’s yours. It’s only money after all, guitars are far more important.
  • I know that they’re considerably more expensive but I’d be inclined to go for an American built Guild, they were excellent instruments. I did hear, from somebody in the trade, that Guild were in a very poor shape financially prior to the Fender takeover, so poor in fact that they were buying screws from the local hardware store in order to finish instruments. For that reason I’d rather buy an older Guild as corners may have been cut on some of the last pre Fender Guilds.

You do take a bit of a hit in the bank account but when you’ve got it it’s yours. It’s only money after all, guitars are far more important.

The Gads rambling fella that @kreggs mentioned talks very favourably about the late 90s US ones. The one on ebay might not be a bad bet. 
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64

The Gads rambling fella that @kreggs mentioned talks very favourably about the late 90s US ones. The one on ebay might not be a bad bet. 
    Aye his site is a good wealth of knowledge. Helped me pick my 2016 bluesbird