The song that switched your DNA to guitar.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    Metallica - Enter Sandman

Back in 1998...although I didn't actually start learning the guitar properly until about eighteen months later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5645

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    someone at work wrote down the chords for 'house of the rising sun' for me back when I was about 17, so 36 years ago, before that I was just fumbling around, but I think the opening riff to 'pretty vacant' got me going.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited April 2019
    Passenger seat of Dad's MkIII Cortina driving into town to the guitar shop.

'Shine on, you crazy diamond' BLASTING on his modified car stereo. Got there and he played that song on a sunburst '57 reissue Strat and instantly became my hero.
    Stood right there in Rushworth & Draper, surrounded by huge framed pictures of 'The Beatles' collecting their new gear 20 years earlier and watching my Dad who also played at the Cavern Club back then and was fairly well known locally, playing Pink Floyd right there in front of me.

I was 8 years old.
    That was the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Purple Rain

First CD I ever bought, and the movie blew my teenage mind.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    The sampled metal guitar riff from Beastie Boys - No Sleep til Brooklyn in 1986. I had no idea what was making that sound, but I found it electrifying, exciting, and set about finding out how to make that type of noise myself. An older friend happened to mention that it was played by someone from a band called 'Slayer', and that was pretty much it - my musical taste set for life
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited April 2019
    I think it was this...

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    ‘When I Saw Her Standing There’ - first heard on my older sister’s copy of The Beatles’ Please Please Me. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7804
    I guess I have one of the uncoolist for a guitar forum, in that it was bon jovi' and keep the faith. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Saxon 747 Strangers In The Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSFZNpo7kxs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    This. A Masterpiece.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Surprised no-one's mentioned Eric Clapton on the Bluesbreakers' "All Your Love".

I first heard it in about 1983 on some Clapton/Bluesbreakers compilation album. Grabbed me from the first couple of bars and I wanted to be able to make a sound like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkedAcAAcU4
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1267
    edited September 2023
    k
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6081
    edited April 2019
    I had to think about this one, but the real things that made me want to play lead guitar were both by Mr Graham Coxon in Blur, specifically his solos on...

This is a Low (actually the whole damn thing for me is basically how Ed wants to play)...

That's one of my favourite solos. The version when they did Glastonbury turned my head around. Fabulous, inventive player.

No one player turned me on to electric guitar, I was into acoustic first, mostly Dylan. Listened to all the usual suspects - Hendrix, Santana, Ronson etc. but what gave me the itch to try electric was the thin spiky sounds on Blonde On Blonde.
  • My best friends older brother introduced me to a band called Accept in 1987 - I’d never heard of them before, and I was blown away by their record “Restless & Wild.”

There is a track on there called “Princess of the Dawn” and Wolf Hoffman’s guitar solo on that track, blew me away.

Specifically, the descending and ascending run he does, made me want to play an electric guitar.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.