Free songs for DAW

What's Hot
Hi all.
Are there any sites you can download free songs for yourt DAW to edit? Specifically for Studio One 4 Prime
I want to get some for my daughter to use and record her vocals
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    You mean commercial stuff or just original multitrack?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • RussGRussG Frets: 15
    spark240 said:
    You mean commercial stuff or just original multitrack?
    Both to be honest.
    probably more commercial/current stuff for my daughter. I have got audio interface, DAW, amps,. mics MIDI keyboard, live bass and six string, all ready to record, just need tracks for her/us to experiment/record against
    I doubt you will get any Commercial multitracks to bo honest, if you sign up to something like Produce like a Pro, Joe Gilder, Home studio trainer and probably loads of others, the let you have original song multi-tracks to play with, otherwise you can download free commercial song midi tracks and use your own sounds.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    edited April 2019
    Sometimes searching for remix audio stems can get you some but it depends of course on the kind of thing you want having been made available. 

Alternatively if you just want to use them as guide tracks would karaoke versions work then when you've redone each bit you want to just mute the karaoke et voila?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Was coming here to post that link.
    Very good resource.

Also try befriending someone who works for a music tech company.
    It is normal to have a little cache of commercial multi tracks as they get used at trade shows and the like.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    cambridge is the place, or try searching for midi files of the track you want, then use your own VST instruments to re-mix said track, works for me.

• RussGRussG Frets: 15
    Cheers folks, how about sites you can pay for multi tracks?
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    a produce like a pro subscription gives you access to many multitrack stems, or you can find a russian site that hosts the rips from all the rockband/ guitar hero games, which is fun.
    RussG said:
    Cheers folks, how about sites you can pay for multi tracks?
    Your going to struggle to find even paid sites when you can get the multitracks to commercial releases, have you looked at backing tracks .com ?...that might help.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    If you search for rockband moggs you can download all the stems used in the guitar hero \ rock band game. Then open up the moggs in the free editor Audacity and export them as wavs ... then you can remix in Reaper \ Logic or whatever you want
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Reverb.com occasionally sells multis that they've made themselves when they've done a "sound like" video... e.g. - https://reverb.com/software/samples-and-loops?brand[]=Reverb
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6154
    Just checked some stems I had downloaded (but not yet played with) - Katy Perry's 'Roar'. 29 files altogether.

Same thing - most are wet/processed, although there are a few vocal tracks that are named "dry" and seem to be processed dynamically - and perhaps for tuning - but are not wet.

Also, one of the guitar stems has an awful lot of mains buzz between notes. Presumably that got gated when mixing down to stereo? (It also sounds horrible on its own - thin and weedy. You can only just make it out in the finished single.)
    edited April 2019
    goldtop said:

Also, one of the guitar stems has an awful lot of mains buzz between notes. Presumably that got gated when mixing down to stereo? (It also sounds horrible on its own - thin and weedy. You can only just make it out in the finished single.)
    Gates aren't really a thing now- most people don't use them outside of live, because you can just cut the audio up, and much more accurately, rather than relying on a gate to open and close when a threshold is exceeded.
    Gates are a hangover from before non-linear editing became a thing.
    They are still used a lot in the live world of course.

I'm lucky enough to have access to some Peter Gabriel multitracks (no, I cannot share them) from my time at SSL.
    Sledgehammer, Big Time and such.
    They've are absolutely amazing but the amount of spill, especially in the vocal tracks, is pretty noticeable.
    I was surprised, but I guess it makes sense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6154
    Interesting stuff on the (non)use of gates. The noise on this particular guitar stem (ISTR it's one of 3) is very distracting, and the actual playing is very simple and sparse with lots of gaps. It would be quite trivial for any engineer to have added some level automation to mute the noise. But not in this case, unless it was done later?

On listening to the KP stems, it seems to me that the whole song could have been done on a 32-track with the sort of planning that was done at the time of Sledghammer, and that I also read about in Phill Brown's book. On 'Roar', I suppose the actual track count was up 100+? That seems to be the fashion these days.

Not really my type of music, but I kept the 'Roar' stems to play around with, and the 'jungley' drum stems might be fun to chop up. I was also not-very-surprised to see some classic gear mentioned in the stems: Juno and Solina. They really are perennials.
    goldtop said:
    Interesting stuff on the (non)use of gates. The noise on this particular guitar stem (ISTR it's one of 3) is very distracting, and the actual playing is very simple and sparse with lots of gaps. It would be quite trivial for any engineer to have added some level automation to mute the noise. But not in this case, unless it was done later?

On listening to the KP stems, it seems to me that the whole song could have been done on a 32-track with the sort of planning that was done at the time of Sledghammer, and that I also read about in Phill Brown's book. On 'Roar', I suppose the actual track count was up 100+? That seems to be the fashion these days.

Not really my type of music, but I kept the 'Roar' stems to play around with, and the 'jungley' drum stems might be fun to chop up. I was also not-very-surprised to see some classic gear mentioned in the stems: Juno and Solina. They really are perennials.
    100 tracks is pretty normal but that doesn't mean you have 100 tracks playing at once.
    What usually happens is your have different track 'collections' for each section of the song.

For instance say you have 10 drum mics set up (2 on kick, 2 snare, 2 overheads, one on each tom and a stereo room) and you have a typical soft verse, loud chorus type thing.
    You would use different treatments (EQ and compression) on the verse to the chorus, because of the different dynamic levels.
    So you can either automate changes in compression and EQ on 10 tracks, or you can split the verse drums out to their own collection of 10 tracks and then chorus drums out to their own 10 tracks.
    The latter is much more flexible- it doesn't cost you to have more tracks in your DAW.
    Then you might have a particularly loud middle 8 which requires its own 10 track collection for just that part.

So we are already at 30 tracks of drums.
    Then you might have 4 tracks of electrics guitars for each section and 2 tracks of bass (2 mics) for each section.
    So that its 54 tracks before keys, acoustic guitars, percussion or vocals.

It is easy to get to 100 tracks if you have all that added in and BV's written in harmonies and multiple keyboard parts- but at once you might only have 24 tracks playing at any one time.
    Plus you end up counting all the bussing and routing, parallel compression buses etc as tracks because you tend to automate their levels in the Edit/Arrange window.

If you are doing a surround mix then you can massively expand the track count too.
    It isn't unusual to see Dolby Atmos post production mixes to run into hundreds and hundreds of tracks- stereo audio mixing is pretty tame in comparison.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    It costs money but nail the mix is fucking excellent for this if you like metal.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    If you just want tracks for your daughter to lay vocals over have a look at https://www.karaoke-version.co.uk/ 

the custom backing tracks can be downloaded as individual instruments... 
  • jiff41jiff41 Frets: 0
    What about this place; https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

I Started out with nothing & I still have most of it left. (Seasick Steve)