Amp issue fixed - now space rocket and speaker chat

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6803
edited May 2019 in Amps
Just picked up a 5E3 clone for a fellow fretboarder which sounded great at his house.

I've driven it home and now it makes this noise. Basically a weird blooming underneath the notes. Same thing happens on every input.

Do we think it's an obvious tube knackered in transit jobby or is it something that needs looking at? 

https://soundcloud.com/user-886084606/recording-3

Any suggestions gratefully received. 
My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    Yes, most likely a microphonic power valve. Bear in mind that valves are often so sensitive to vibration via the chassis that even tapping on the other (not faulty) valve will make the noise, unless you hold the faulty one with a cloth.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    ICBM said:
    ...unless you hold the faulty one with a cloth.
    Pah, real men use their bare fingers. =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6803
    Thanks chaps. Damn my stupid sexy driving over speedbumps. So I should just buy a new matched pair I guess. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Philtre said:
    ICBM said:
    ...unless you hold the faulty one with a cloth.
    Pah, real men use their bare fingers. =)
    The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Blimey I've driven valve amps around a lot and never had this happen, did you pull an up on two wheels dukes of hazzard manouvere??
    I mean, I was in a rush to get home... 

Also I live on an unadopted road and outside my house it often looks like a WW1 trench so possibly it got jostled there. 

On the plus side, NAD for me and this one's only 14KG

munckee said:
    Blimey I've driven valve amps around a lot and never had this happen, did you pull an up on two wheels dukes of hazzard manouvere??
    It was almost certainly like it before, but something in the room the amp was in/is now in was suppressing/accentuating the vibration. The difference between the amp standing on carpet or a hard floor can be enough, or even the amount of natural reverb in the room - it can be really astonishingly sensitive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    I had it on the back seat with a seat belt. just unlucky I guess. 

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Ahh thats crazy eh. What about the valves on the radios of lancaster bombers as they hurtle through relentless flack cannon fire. I guess they were more robust. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    gringopig said:
    I was told by a tech that the best place for an amp in a car is the back seat with its own seatbelt on. Nice and damped by design. I transported a Champ 10 miles, switched it on and the 6V6 blew up. It was in the boot.
    Amps in my car go behind the passenger seat with the seat adjusted to just enough space for the amp with cushion in front and cushion behind.  Touch wood no problems so far.
    kreggs said:
    Ahh thats crazy eh. What about the valves on the radios of lancaster bombers as they hurtle through relentless flack cannon fire. I guess they were more robust. 
    Don't make 'em like they used to mate. 

Glad to say a pair of Tung Sol 6V6GTs in there and the weird noise has disappeared. Many thanks all. 

Now to swap out the speaker. 

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 805
    soma1975 said:
    Glad to say a pair of Tung Sol 6V6GTs in there and the weird noise has disappeared. Many thanks all. 

Celestion Blue?
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    edited May 2019
    soma1975 said:

Celestion Blue?
    Definitely got to be a Celestion Blue. My Gartone Bluesman sounds so sweet with one.
    edited May 2019
    Nope a WGS G12Q. Figured if they were good enough for Rift...

Wanted to go for a Weber 12a125a but seems they are impossible to get over here so will wait until yank family come over here. 

kreggs said:
    Part of the standard equipment for the aircraft was a complete set of replacement valves - they came in a special compartmented box with all the types labelled on the liner. The wireless operator was responsible for maintenance in flight.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    ICBM said:
    kreggs said:
    Part of the standard equipment for the aircraft was a complete set of replacement valves - they came in a special compartmented box with all the types labelled on the liner. The wireless operator was responsible for maintenance in flight.
    Wow thats really interesting. I imagine the same for the first moon/space missions too.
    kreggs said:

I imagine the same for the first moon/space missions too.
    The Apollo spacecraft were all-solid-state, I’m pretty sure. I don’t know about any of the earlier ones, but I would guess the first Russian missions at least were valve.

I know about the aircraft valve set boxes because I had one, by the way :). I’ve still got a couple of army field radio ones too (50s I think) although the valves are long gone and I use them for keeping parts in.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom