Scratchy Pot.. - Techie type people advice needed..

Si_Si_ Frets: 384
Not strictly Guitar amp related, but I picked up a 2nd hand vintage Hi-Fi amp today but it seems to have a (Very)scratchy volume pot. I was going to get some electrical cleaner and give it a spray and see if it helps.

Silly n00b question, but do I need to do anything special, or is it just a case of spraying it with the stuff (probably from B&Q). I assume it needs to be un-plugged when I do it.. do I need to let it try or anything before I switch it back on? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7165
    edited April 2014
    Servisol Switch cleaner or similar. Unplug it and spray the pot. Should sort it out.

I just cleaned out the hellish scratchy pots on an early '70s valve head using exactly this method and now it is scratch free.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Cool. thanks.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72646
    Servisol or Electrolube switch cleaner, from Maplins unless you have anywhere better. B&Q etc won't have it.

If this fails to clean it, try WD-40, but only if proper contact cleaner doesn't! You want them in that order.

You have to get inside and spray it into the slot in the pot casing - sometimes the little 'stop' notch opposite the pins is easier to get at.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein