Marshall 5210 footswitch hack

DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2368
edited May 2019 in Amps
I have a Marshall 5210 mark 2 with 5 jacks on the back:  DI, Headphone, Send, Return, Footswitch

The footswitch is a '2 way without LED PEDL-91004' (well that is the modern replacement).

I want to use it on the 'boost' channel with the reverb on all the time and not bother with a footswitch.

Is it possible to make (or have made) a wee stereo jack that I can plug in the footswitch socket at the back so it is always on boost and reverb?  Maybe a cut-&-shut stereo patch cable?

Partial schematic below...

https://i.imgur.com/aHiX0SQ.png 

I can post the full schematic, if required.

Thanks,

Ddig

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    it is possible, yes.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Presumably with no plug in you get the clean channel and reverb. If so, all you need to do is plug in a spare mono plug - that will ground the ring contact and leave the tip open circuit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2368
    Thanks for your help.  Yep, mono jack gets you boost and reverb.

Before I tried that, I had realised that I had never used the amp with no footswitch at all. 

With no footswitch, you get reverb and the ability to blend both channels, like on the 100w 3210 head.  That is not mentioned in the manual, otherwise I would have been doing that ages ago. 

Sounds ace and if you have some modulation in the fx loop the blended normal channel brings that out.

Cheers, Ddig
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Ddigger said:

With no footswitch, you get reverb and the ability to blend both channels, like on the 100w 3210 head.  That is not mentioned in the manual, otherwise I would have been doing that ages ago.
    I wondered that too. There are two different versions of the 3210, one gives blended channels with no footswitch and the other gives - very oddly, for a Marshall! - just the clean channel. I wasn’t sure from your description which the 5210 was like.

These are all hugely under-rated amps and sell for ridiculously little considering the build quality - they’re some of the very best solid-state amps ever made - and how good they sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2368
    Yep, a great wee amp and there are two versions judging by the schematics. 

It was £100, collection only, but I talked him round to a courier (£25) and £30 to get some pots replaced. I have spent more on a pedal that only does one thing for occasional use.

The 5 year old loon is forever plugging things in and messing about with it and it won't get damaged or need a service any time soon.