New Amp Day with pics. Marshall Studio Classic JCM800

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24313
    JCM800s never had that much gain.

For such a revered metal amp it is always a shock when the younger Recto crowd get one and complain!

It's a 1970s metal amp really so has to be assessed with that in mind.

And then hit with a big EQ mid hump and you get Slayer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Agreed, but it's still a capable monster when you slam the front end of it. 

Currently gassing for one. The small Plexi is a thing of beauty and I'm enjoying it immensely. 

Funny enough, I have a Recto, and the lower gain 800 would be a nice compliment to the collection.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    JCM800s never had that much gain.

For such a revered metal amp it is always a shock when the younger Recto crowd get one and complain!
    I'm not a metal player, but I've never thought the 2203 was remotely high-gain - it does a heavy crunch, that's all. Even for the relatively mild amounts of high-gain I use I would always want a pedal as well.

The Recto isn't really that high-gain either... the old Dual Caliber series has tons more, as does something like a 5150.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I love a new amp day, thing is, it quickly turns into a new amp week/month where you start to doubt your initial euphoric status. But, for the day, all is good with the world!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

It's very nice - I don't use a lot of reverb and when playing live I don't use any at all on dirty sounds but to add a bit of space when playing in the house it's lovely.

Also been trying other drive pedals.

SD-1W
    Hardwire CM-2
    and the Boost side of the Thorpy Veteran SI

The CM-2 is the most TS like and sounds a bit like Early Metallica. The SD-1W is fatter in the lows.

The Boost on the Vet is great fun. Doesn't add any drive itself but does add a boat load of compression as it hammers the amp. It's like having more drive but without having more drive. I'm liking that a great deal.

Next up with be running the amp clean and trying my AMT R2 Legend. It's the best Rectifier in a box I've ever heard, and it has a tighter low end than a real recto, without needing a TS in front of it.

Looking forward to that - when the house is empty.
    Been playing with it a lot.

It's a great amp. Bold and punchy, and also very subtle with the low input.

I ran it clean today with my AMP R2 preamp and it worked very well with that. Very Dual Rec sounding.
    Still liking the SD-1W best at the moment - it's the quietest OD I've got, although the Boost side on the Thorpy is glorious in a different way.

Going to try the 4CM with my Helix at the weekend, and maybe just the power section with the Helix too.

One thing I have missed from not having a valve amp is the smell - it's lovely! :D 

I picked up a Digitech Polara for a bit of reverb and that's very nice too.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    @fretmeister I've just ordered one of these,
    I'm interested ti know if you've tried it at volume yet (I'll be gigging mine) and also if you've got any ideas as to what cabinet and speakers work well with it.

I've got a couple of tubescreamers and an sd1 in the house ready!!

I've not got beyond 4 on the Master. It's smegging loud!

As I said in your cab thread - I'm using a Jet City 2x12 loaded with Eminence.
    £170 and it sounds fantastic to me.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    I've not got beyond 4 on the Master. It's smegging loud!

As I said in your cab thread - I'm using a Jet City 2x12 loaded with Eminence.
    £170 and it sounds fantastic to me.
    what happens above 4? On my JCM 800 the sound changed a lot above that but it wasn't all "louderer"
    Red ones are better. 
    No idea! Not tried it.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2899
    edited June 2019
    It's pretty similar to the big one I think, doesn't get loads louder just more compressed/dense.
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    I’d be inclined to stick a couple of greenbacks in and be done with it.
    For volume options a spark boost works great in my mini jubilee loop and I think the bigger version is mega cheap at guitarguitar at the mo
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited June 2019
    No idea! Not tried it.

My 2203 and 2204's never got much past 2 let alone 4!!