Converting sheet music to tab?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    TTony said:

I've got the basic tune/melody lines, but there are some bits that I can't get sounding right.  The intro section is fine now (thanks to the bottom G from @bigjon ).  But (eg) there's obviously more than one note being played in the run down just before the vocals start (and at the end of each verse), and that's one of the bits that's got me stumped atm. 

Got a time in the youtube vid you want me to take a look at? I'm willing to put in a little bit of effort to transcribe it for you but I can't be bothered to find it first! ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27690

Thanks oct.

JamUp Pro can do something similar (I think - I've never tried Transcribe!), which is what I've been using so far.

Load the track, and then play it through slowly (pitch doesn't change), stopping it whenever the note isn't obvious at first listen. 

It works well for single-note parts, but gets more difficult when trying to work out dyads (which I just had to lookup) and triads / full-chords that aren't of the straightforward variety.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    bigjon said:
    Got a time in the youtube vid you want me to take a look at? I'm willing to put in a little bit of effort to transcribe it for you but I can't be bothered to find it first! ;-)

It's the run-down bit from 1:48 - 2:02 in the video version.

But don't put too much effort in on my behalf - the sheet music should turn up soon, plus I'm feeling that I ought to apply myself more rigorously rather than rely on you good people to do the hard work for me.  Perhaps only reveal the answer once I think I've worked it out - then you can tell me how wrong I was ? !!

TTony said:
    It's the run-down bit from 1:48 - 2:02 in the video version.

But don't put too much effort in on my behalf - the sheet music should turn up soon, plus I'm feeling that I ought to apply myself more rigorously rather than rely on you good people to do the hard work for me.  Perhaps only reveal the answer once I think I've worked it out - then you can tell me how wrong I was ? !!

As you wish :-)
    G maj chord, A-shape, playing the 5th, 4th & 3rd strings (plus open 6th), holding the shape and descending through F#, E, D, C# & B chords.

Then to A, E-shape, playing 6,5,4 strings, to E to all strings open back to E

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    I have had to learn a few parts from sheet music ( eg horn parts to play on guitar) and have just sat there with the score and a pencil writing E F# etc etc above it using little more knowledge than Every Good Boy Deserves Favour ( just remember to look at the key signature first, you don't even have to understand what it means). It is long winded and doesn't tell you how to play anything but it is perfectly doable if a bit laborious. Just then follow what you have written down against the original recording with your finger and it starts falling into place. I reckon @TTony could pick up the required knowledge to do that in half an hour (tops). And there is a lot of sheet music available digitally from places like sheetmusic direct if you can't wait for the post. Just watch out for the information about printing rights ( if you print it once your access to what you have just bought may be taken away) but there are plenty of ways around that.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    You can also type it into powertab or guitar pro
    TTony said:
    G maj chord, A-shape, playing the 5th, 4th & 3rd strings (plus open 6th), holding the shape and descending through F#, E, D, C# & B chords.

Then to A, E-shape, playing 6,5,4 strings, to E to all strings open back to E
    Yes, except I don't think he's playing the middle string of the three. He's just playing a single note G at fret 10 on string 5 doubled up the octave at fret 12 on string 3. The fourth string is damped with the underside of his index finger.
    :)

Thanks.

Anyone want to buy some sheet music??
  • It can't take any longer to learn than it took me to cut a nut at Neil's...