Kev Hurley Blocks

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    What bridge unit - did you install block n arm ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JMP220478 said:
    And apologies for the Spanish Inquisition
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    JMP220478 said:
    JMP220478 said:
    And apologies for the Spanish Inquisition
    Happy to help. 

I did install both the block and arm. It was a special edition mexican stratocaster, which is essentially a mexican standard with cosmetic changes. Kevin asked me for the trem block number (stamped to the block) and he made an aluminium based on that information alone. He seems to have done plenty and can make all the common measurements. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    Handy info thanks @Branshen - I have a steel one of his spare, just asked him about an ally one. I'm building a very light guitar and an ally block might be just the ticket. Be interesting to compare the steel with an ally one too, for sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Corvus said:
    Handy info thanks @Branshen - I have a steel one of his spare, just asked him about an ally one. I'm building a very light guitar and an ally block might be just the ticket. Be interesting to compare the steel with an ally one too, for sound.
    Put it this way, no one can tell from listening that a guitar has an aluminium block. And in any case, my amp tone controls will have WAY more impact on the tone than the trem block. 
    Branshen said:
    Corvus said:
    Put it this way, no one can tell from listening that a guitar has an aluminium block. And in any case, my amp tone controls will have WAY more impact on the tone than the trem block. 
    Im sure EJ may have been able to at one stage ..
    tFB Trader

I've clear differences in Floyd blocks and steel vs zinc Strat blocks, saddles etc so wouldn't be at all surprised if ally sounds different to steel. Not just tone 'curve' but things like note separation, sustain, etc. We'll see anyway, it's ordered, prob here tomorrow, he's very quick.

Corvus said:

I've clear differences in Floyd blocks and steel vs zinc Strat blocks, saddles etc so wouldn't be at all surprised if ally sounds different to steel. Not just tone 'curve' but things like note separation, sustain, etc. We'll see anyway, it's ordered, prob here tomorrow, he's very quick.

Kevin is super fast with getting orders out. Look forward to your thoughts when you get it.
    tFB Trader
    Arrived but it'll be a while before I get to fit it, but what nice job he does.. so clean & crisp. The arm feels perfect too with the nylon sleeve job.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Not sure if I'm being a bit daft but I cant see Kev's email address anywhere above could anyone help ?
    Or altternatively if anyone has a Hurley trem block that will fit a vintage spaced trem plate then let me know 
    edited November 2019
    @DrBob ;

Pmd
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    edited August 2020
    Thought I'd bump this thread up to give Kev a bit of an endorsement from a very happy customer. I recently bought the Custom Shop '59 Strat that was for sale on the classifieds and while it's a fab guitar, it had the shonkiest trem set up possible: the thread was fecked and even with a spring and little ball bearing used it still felt shocking - wobblier than me after  4 pints of Gamma Ray. 

So I got hold of Kev's details and asked if he would do me a replacement steel block with delrin insert. It was with me 48 hours later and has transformed the feel of the guitar. Gret service and a nice feller to boot. 

My colleague and fellow forumite @PonchoGreg ; has also used Kev's services and rates him highly.

I think the contact details are on the thread above bit if anyone wants them - I have them. 

Cheers

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6693
    DrBob said:
    Not sure if I'm being a bit daft but I cant see Kev's email address anywhere above could anyone help ?
    Or altternatively if anyone has a Hurley trem block that will fit a vintage spaced trem plate then let me know 
    I have a steel one and a brass one if you're interested.... 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14465
    McToot said:
    I think the contact details are on the thread above bit if anyone wants them - I have them. 
    If contact details for Kev Hurley were ever posted in this Discussion, they have since been removed.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    McToot said:
    If contact details for Kev Hurley were ever posted in this Discussion, they have since been removed.
    You're quite right. 

If if anyone wants his email addy, just ping me a PM or post on here. I've added the thread to my watch list so will see it. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;)