Rockschool query

What's Hot
paulhpaulh Frets: 0
I'm looking at starting the Rockschool grades, going to start at level 2 or 3 as that seems about my level at the moment.
Just wondered if anyone had done them and had any advice? Also could someone tell me what the technical exercises are? I see in the book a load of scales but it doesn't expand on what you might be asked to play?
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I have just started on the Grade 2.

I'll have a look at the book again when I get home and find out.

I'm sure it explains exactly what is expected of you in the exam, it seemed fairly clear when I looked at it.

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

The technical exercises are ( I looked last night quickly but should have written the bits down, so bear with me!)

Playing different chords, strumming them when asked by the examiner.

Playing a riff but then using those notes to improvise 6(?) bars and starting different bars on a selected note.

I'll have to get back on the others, sorry!

• paulhpaulh Frets: 0
    Cheers. Took the book to my lesson today and my teacher thinks you just have to play up and down the scales, but in the key they ask, which isn't necessarily the one printed.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    can I have a go at hi jacking this? Has been in the back of my mind for years to do grades. I'm fairly certain I wont be playing in another band anytime too soon and my playing has been aimless at best and without specific stuff to learn for a band even more aimless.

I guess grade aren't the only option but they might be a good one.

Do you just look up guitars tutors ( registery of guitar tutors or something?) and say get me through some grades or can you put yourself through ( optimistically thinking that with a book I could get through a couple at least)?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi guys, I was hired to play virtually all of the guitar parts on that syllabus and wrote 4 or 5 pieces for it, if you have any specific questions about any guitar parts don't hesitate to drop me a PM and I'll help out (if I can remember what I played!). 

At the end of the 3 month recording session I jokingly asked if I could have a Rockschool exam certificate and was told I'd have to take the exams like everyone else!!

All the best,

Stuart