Les Paul Deluxe - how much should I pay?

tbmtbm Frets: 579
Local shop has a goldtop Les Paul Deluxe from 1980. It's heavy w/ a 1 peice back, you can tell it has a 3 piece from the lines in the gold finish, the maple neck is kinda jarring too, but it plays amazingly. I might look for a deal on it, but what should I expect to pay cashwise? It's in decent but played condition ut the was no tag on it in the shop and the owner was busy while I was there.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72384
    Personally I wouldn't pay more than about £1500 for it.

You'll get a good idea from Ebay completed auctions. Add a bit for typical shop pricing, guarantee, customer service etc and most of them are in that ballpark.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NickBotfieldNickBotfield Frets: 143
    edited May 2014
    I've got an early 70's Deluxe but I wouldn't expect to get more than £1500 for it if I sold it, I think.  I don't really know if the shop would be asking for more than that though.  It's a lovely guitar and is resonant as fuck - it's not super heavy either, about 9 1/2 lbs.

EDIT - I see ICBM got in before me!
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    Ta gents. He want's €2000 (£1650) with room for hagling. Sounds about right.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Good luck with the deal, it is definitely a buyers market and it isn't really seen as a "classic"Les Paul , so fingers crossed :)
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3333
    Tops 1500. Even thats high imo
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    sweepy;241597" said:
    Good luck with the deal, it is definitely a buyers market and it isn't really seen as a "classic"Les Paul , so fingers crossed :)
    They have a lot of fans. Scott Gorham used one extensively with Thin Lizzy, the guitarist out of Del Amitri, Neil Finn, even Bob Marley....

The one piece body is a cool feature.

I reckon £1500 is a reasonable price to pay - though I agree anymore is probably too high.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Scott Gorham used his by default, according to the chap himself, Lizzy bought it for him after he had sold his last good guitar. he never liked it as a guitar, but it was distinct from Robertsons LP Custom so he kept it   Eventually he want the hot rod Strat route, which he still uses today .

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    sweepy;242077" said:
    Scott Gorham used his by default, according to the chap himself, Lizzy bought it for him after he had sold his last good guitar. he never liked it as a guitar, but it was distinct from Robertsons LP Custom so he kept it
    So?

I'm not really sure it matters that he didn't like it; I strongly associate that guitar with an iconic band at the height of their fame.

I believe he went on to buy a late '50s Les Paul, before switching over to Strat-style guitars.

The fact remains; on most classic 'Lizzy tracks, he played a Les Paul Deluxe.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited May 2014
    Both of the last 2 posters are correct!
    He didn't like it but he made the guitar part of the Lizzy sound and you have to respect him for that.

There is a you tube clip of a guy (Top Hat Guitars?) playing  a deluxe. He starts off playing Thin Lizzy and it is unmistakable. It is that sound.

• ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Let's not forget Pete Townsend. Brian May also used one on the road as a backup before he got his Birch RS replica.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    I love mine BTW - as does my mate. They cut through a band better than humbuckers.

Be warned that pickups set to 10 on guitar will be noisy and squealy unless potted. Easiest fix is to roll down to 8ish.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72384
    Parker said:
    Let's not forget Pete Townsend.
    Townshend had his routed for a Dimarzio Dual Sound in the middle position though.

I really like the Deluxe - not just because one was my first Les Paul, but because it has a great sound of its own... not the classic thick Les Paul sound, but more biting and ringing - somewhere between a Les Paul, a Tele and a Firebird all in the same guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tbmtbm Frets: 579
    ICBM said:somewhere between a Les Paul, a Tele and a Firebird all in the same guitar.
    This is what I'm after.