what amp do you play through at home?

What's Hot
racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1000
will be interested in what you play through at home.

i cannot imagine everyone else here living in a big house miles from anyone else  ;-) so will be interested in what you play through at home,that still doesn't call out the noise police. :-)

i have a vox valvetronix VT 40+ myself.
i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skayskay Frets: 394
    I use my Fender tweed Deluxe amp, but set it for clean and get my overdrive with pedals. The solid pine cabinet makes it such a resonant amp, plus coupled with using the Mic channel with its generous helpings of bass, helps to fill-out the sound and has the effect of it sounding much bigger than you'd expect without having to be all that loud. I have a policeman living next door, so that's a real objective way to test if i'm 'too loud", and he hasn't called so far :-D

Tweed amps are not usually known for their clean sounds, but this amp knocks me out with its thick yet clear bell-like tones when I play through it with my Nocaster, but once I plug in my Goldtop and add either a BF Honey Bee, Timmy or Zvex Distortron pedal and i'm in rock heaven!

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26608
    I just use my Eleven Rack. Fantastic tones, no more flexible than I need it to be and easy to fire up. From there, it's also trivial to record stuff too.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    Mesa Trem-o-verb, 100W 2x12" combo.

It has a knob on it which controls the overall volume level, which you turn down if you want it quiet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Blackstar ID60 head and cab. Absolutely love it and it sounds great at low volumes as well.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Vox Lil Nighttrain or the blues deluxe
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    I either shake the house with the Puretone, or I play unplugged. 

No point pissing about with half measures. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    All of them - H&K Tubemeister 36, Roland Cube 60, a Roland Micro Cube and a Roland 120XL Bass Cube. However, of late, I've enjoyed using the VoxAmp headphones (Twin Version) with an iPod plugged in for silent/late-night rehearsing.
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Ceriatone HRM Bluesmaster OTS 100watt into a Zilla mini modern with EV12L - it has seperate master volume controls for clean & o/d and does home volume just as nice as gig volume B-)
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    Mesa Express 5:25 combo (1x12) on the 5-watt mode. It's okay at tv volumes, but absolutely fantastic just beyond them.

I'm about to move to a new flat though so I'm hoping the walls are thick enough to not piss off the neighbours, otherwise I'll have to start the dreaded attenuator quest. :(
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    edited May 2014
    Wherever the mood takes me.... between
    Engl E650 Blackmore & Engl 2x12 (you'd be surprised how useable at low volumes this 100w beast is)
    Blackheart BH5 & 1x12
    Laney VC15 combo
    Marshall Class 5 combo
    Yamaha THR10
    Fender G Dec30 combo
    Marshall AS50 combo for acoustic

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Silver Jubilee 1x12 combo
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Mesa Express 5:25 combo (1x12) on the 5-watt mode. It's okay at tv volumes, but absolutely fantastic just beyond them.

I'm about to move to a new flat though so I'm hoping the walls are thick enough to not piss off the neighbours, otherwise I'll have to start the dreaded attenuator quest. :(
    I like the look of these little beasts......might pick one up..... you have the normal or the plus ?

Cheers Baz
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    Axe FX and Matrix FRFR with the volume turned down a little bit.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Couple of 100w heads and cabs and a long lead.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Mostly a Fender HRD, Peavey Classic 50 or Laney LC50 - all have been modded or rebuilt in some grand way but all still run at original output wattage.  I have just not managed to find a smaller amp I like too much.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    '68 Custom Princeton Reverb.

I like a bit of reverb at home, plus it sounds great with every dirt pedal I own. I usually just play it clean though, it sounds glorious at low volume and is easily the most expensive practice amp I've ever owned!
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    edited May 2014
    bazxkr said: I like the look of these little beasts......might pick one up..... you have the normal or the plus ?

Cheers Baz

Just the normal one - although I
    really want to try the plus. considering how happy I've been with this one, an "improved" version has to be worth a try?! I was kicking myself for missing one on here for a very cheap price last year, but I got a good deal on mine too (£550) so it's not all bad.

It's the second one I've owned btw, I previously had the 5:25 head running into a Framus 1x12. I regretted selling it for a long time, and finally got around to making up for it. I doubt this one will be going anywhere unless an unexpected bill turns up, or I do eventually try the plus model & prefer that one. :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72381

You could try a simple parallel dummy load - at 5W it won't need to be big or expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 464
    Ampmaker Double Six head into a Zilla 1x12.

The amp doesn't do 'dirty' unless you switch out the EQ section so it works wonderfully with pedals.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    These days, Harley-Benton GA5 combo, if I ever bother playing electric at home. Before I moved and took the studio apart, I had a 50W plexi into an SE100 and thence to the desk & monitoring. Most of the timer I use a cheap parlour acoustic.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself