arrgh HELP NEEDED QUICK

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1846
    edited May 2014
    @icbm
    Spot on

But this was being compounded by the fact that my cable from the pedal board to amp is also fooked - before I did anything I just went guitar - with both cables - the board to amp cable sounds awful - 1st cleartone cable that's ever let me down
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Normally cables go just near the end of the cable because that's where they stressed the most.  Take the jack off, cut it back 8 inches and solder the jack back on and it will probably be ok again - just 8 inches shorter.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    crunchman said:
    Normally cables go just near the end of the cable because that's where they stressed the most.  Take the jack off, cut it back 8 inches and solder the jack back on and it will probably be ok again - just 8 inches shorter.
    You can guarantee that it will be the other end :).

Ages ago I had an expensive 20' cable which went like that, and after doing both ends it was still crap, so I (rightly) assumed the problem was somewhere in the middle… so I made the logical deduction that if I kept shortening it from either end, Sod's Law would mean that the problem was dead in the middle and I wouldn't find it until I had reduced the cable to nothing, so the least-bad solution was to cut it in half first - that way I would at least have a decent 10' cable. Which I did.

But then curiosity got the better of me and I decided to find where the problem in the bad half was, so cut it in half again… and again… and again… and again… and in the end, the short was about half an inch beyond where I'd cut the damn thing the very first time! But at least I had a 10' cable, a 5' cable, a 2.5' cable, a 15" cable and a 7.5" cable… :D

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Successive approximation comes in very handy for so many things.  A good tool in life's armoury for problem solving.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    There's an old adage I learned many years ago while gigging - if something goes down "it's probably a cable".
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Or a groupie    :D

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My first guess would be the wah as they traditionally have terrible buffers, but I have never tried your model of wah...

Beyond that, the boss tuner? It has a good buffer as far as I know, but some come just under unity gain apparently, which can give an illusion of lost treble.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    ChrisMusic;242298" said:
    Or a groupie    :D
    As long as it is not a roadie. :D