Premier League 2019/2020 Season

What's Hot

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    City and Liverpool handbags "we're the greatest"...."no, we're greatest"...

Meanwhile, Fergie won 13 (THIRTEEN!!!) Premier League titles....

And I'm a City fan. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited January 2020
       jellyroll said:

And I'm a City fan. 

Well if Liverpool fans dare mention the past we get accused of living in the past. I'd much rather talk about the present!  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Didn't see anything of the match but that's eye watering for Man U against Burnley. 

Interesting bit on R4 the other day, I can't remember the detail but essentially if you looked at the stats for the year ( ignoring wins obviously) then Man City would be top of the league and Liverpool a few places down. They've either got to rewrite how they do football stats or just say Liverpool have been very, very lucky. I'd much rather watch City than Liverpool, it's much prettier football and in the normal run of things that would be more highly rewarded. Of course that Scouse luck will ( cough) come to an end tonight against the Wolves...

Is this how Liverpool's seasons is going to be potrayed…. 13 points ahead and with two games in hand is down to luck? 

Not by me.

As much as it pains me, LFC are clearly the finished article. 30 points, 10 fookin wins, ahead of my mob with 3 months of the season to go. 

While you're winning the bastid, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel flattering ourselves to even qualify for the group stages of the European Cup ( showing me age there) 

Hard not to be tribal about this, but in a purely Football sense, LFC are irresistible, bloody belting side, the supporters of this club should justifiably be as proud as fook at what they're seeing, probably only matched by the despair of the fred carno's my Lads are living through. 

We'll get ourselves sorted out, and eventually will be able to give you a game

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    More depressing Man U stuff. I like Ole, and sacking the manager again won't actually fix anything. Having said that, I don't think he's the man to rebuild the club. We have some good young players at the moment, but we need to set the whole club on the right track to reap any reward from them. I'd like to see Woodward go (been saying this for years!), a proper rebuild manager come in - no idea who, but someone forward thinking, not an old dinosaur like Mourinho was, and also a top to bottom look at how the club is set up, with an emphasis on football rather than business. 

I never liked Lukaku, I didn't see him as a Man U player, but we should have either kept him or got a replacement in at the time. We need to cut out the deadwood players and invest in better quality. 

I'm not expecting a quick fix, but I'd like to see us moving in the right direction. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ole is "lucky" that he has come in after a run of managers that had to be gotten rid of....top brass probably think they need to show some solidarity for a while. If he'd come in under any other circumstances, he almost certainly wouldn't have survived this long.

Nice bloke, but he's shown nothing.  
       jellyroll said:

And I'm a City fan. 

Well if Liverpool fans dare mention the past we get accused of living in the past. I'd much rather talk about the present!  ;)

The recent past is my favourite era :)

It would be great if City could sort out their defence next season and we could have both teams playing at their absolute best. 
  • I think Liverpool are, aside from being a good football team, doing very well in the kind of "game theory" approach that would explain the stats comments above. Every little margin pushed counts. Arsenal used to win 1-0 all the time didn't they? If you're consistently good enough to keep winning by the odd goal or two, you'll win more matches than if you're at 98% one week winning 6-0 and then 80% the next where you draw. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    edited January 2020 tFB Trader
    Didn't see anything of the match but that's eye watering for Man U against Burnley. 

Interesting bit on R4 the other day, I can't remember the detail but essentially if you looked at the stats for the year ( ignoring wins obviously) then Man City would be top of the league and Liverpool a few places down. They've either got to rewrite how they do football stats or just say Liverpool have been very, very lucky. I'd much rather watch City than Liverpool, it's much prettier football and in the normal run of things that would be more highly rewarded. Of course that Scouse luck will ( cough) come to an end tonight against the Wolves...

Is this how Liverpool's seasons is going to be potrayed…. 13 points ahead and with two games in hand is down to luck? 

Not by me.

As much as it pains me, LFC are clearly the finished article. 30 points, 10 fookin wins, ahead of my mob with 3 months of the season to go. 

While you're winning the bastid, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel flattering ourselves to even qualify for the group stages of the European Cup ( showing me age there) 

Hard not to be tribal about this, but in a purely Football sense, LFC are irresistible, bloody belting side, the supporters of this club should justifiably be as proud as fook at what they're seeing, probably only matched by the despair of the fred carno's my Lads are living through. 

We'll get ourselves sorted out, and eventually will be able to give you a game

totally honourable comments from a big MUFC fan
    tFB Trader
    Wolves 1 v Liverpool 2

Great game to watch, certainly as a neutral fan - Before kick off you felt this could be a game that tests LFC and maybe today is when they slip up - Wolves gave them plenty to think about and deserved at least a draw

See LFC don't have to play a team in the top 6 until April - May well have the title wrapped up by then 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    I still cannot understand why Everton opted for a draw against Newcastle when they were leading two nil deep into injury time.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Wolves 1 v Liverpool 2

Great game to watch, certainly as a neutral fan - Before kick off you felt this could be a game that tests LFC and maybe today is when they slip up - Wolves gave them plenty to think about and deserved at least a draw

See LFC don't have to play a team in the top 6 until April - May well have the title wrapped up by then 
    Very much in the game theory, win in the margins idea. Won by goal late in a close match. You don't have to be twice as good as everyone else to win the league just consistently 10% ( or whatever figure you put on it) better. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    There was a kids' science lecture on TV over xmas. They interviewed  one of the LIverpool FC statisticians. (It was news to me that clubs have statos  - I thought it was just bookies). This guy was explaining that they analyse every player's position for every "ball event" after the match (about 2000 per match) to evaluate whether the player took the right option...and give feedback to the coaching staff. Never knew it was so scientific. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    jellyroll said:
    There was a kids' science lecture on TV over xmas. They interviewed  one of the LIverpool FC statisticians. (It was news to me that clubs have statos  - I thought it was just bookies). This guy was explaining that they analyse every player's position for every "ball event" after the match (about 2000 per match) to evaluate whether the player took the right option...and give feedback to the coaching staff. Never knew it was so scientific. 

My friend's daughter was some kind of maths prodigy ( quite hard to believe if you knew my friend and his wife, I assume she was accidentally swapped in the hospital and somewhere there is a very disappointed academic couple) and she was head hunted by Man U from Uni to join their stats team. I can't remember the detail but something like £50k per year as a junior football statistician. She actually got another job in the end and never went. 

I read a really good book about football stats, eye opening stuff. Dated now but The Numbers Game:why everything you knew about football is wrong. There are a few similar titles. Very damming, for example, of the introduction of the 3 points system and how it lead to fewer goals although it was supposed to have lead to more. Optimum times for bringing on substitutes, the value of managers, use of corners,etc. Quite a lot about Tony Pulis at Stoke and how his kind of anti football can work for struggling teams. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • munckee said:
    Surely Ole's for the chop. 

Vardy's injury didn't look good.

As a Pompey fan it pains me to say scummers, I mean Southampton looking a really decent side at the moment,
    Don’t worry mate, we’ll be shit again before you know it.  Either that, or Liverpool will just come and buy half the squad again and we’ll be back to square one.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Liverpool have put so much effort in to the little things, to make tiny gains all over the field. Their set plays have been completely overhauled, they have a throw in coach etc these small gains add up, like the winner against wolves, from a throw in.
    tFB Trader
    So the PL title is just about done and dusted - Put it another way, who would bet against it

The only place that looks up for grabs in the Top 4 is indeed the 4th CL position - Leicester currently have a 13 point cushion for a CL place - So a fight for Spurs, Chelsea and Man U for 4th place and don't write Wolves or even Sheff U from this - 3 to 5 years ago you'd expect Chelsea and Man U to be certain of a CL place

As it stands today Spurs + Man U are closer to the bottom 3 than they are to Leicester in 3rd regarding points differential - Times are a changing 

Again as it stands Norwich look as though it might be a bridge to far - So currently 5 fighting for safety with only 3 points between these 5 clubs  - So pick 2 from Brighton, Villa, W Ham, Watford, Bournemouth to go down - Not looked all the next few fixtures but West Ham's look evil for them 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    I like the cut of this boy's jib: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-51580401

Young Man Utd fan from NI, aged 10, writes to Jurgen Klopp to ask "Please could you stop Liverpool winning so much?"

And Klopp sends him a nice letter back - great story!

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Nitefly said:
    I like the cut of this boy's jib: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-51580401

Young Man Utd fan from NI, aged 10, writes to Jurgen Klopp to ask "Please could you stop Liverpool winning so much?"

Makes a change from Klopp threatening to slap the poor young ball boy at Goodison.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    tony99 said:
    Nitefly said:

Makes a change from Klopp threatening to slap the poor young ball boy at Goodison.
    And good evening to you, too!  <3

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    tony99 said:
    Nitefly said:

Might have knocked some sense into him.