Rivolta guitars anyone?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Blimey. 

Right so yes I bought one in the end and I do indeed love it, but it’s not without its quirks. 

So I’ve had it over 6 months now so honeymoon period well and truely over. 

The good: very light, very resonant , great range of tones and with a wonderful neck profile. Balances perfectly on the strap or lap. No hum from the P90’s even under bags of gain. 

The bad: it does feel a bit plasticky, the intonation is limited (that’s a design limitation not a fault of the build) the nut needed some slight work and the tone knobs on a bit wonky and again due to design the actions a tad higher than desired on the treble side. 

Mine was an older model and they don’t do this colour anymore so perhaps the wonky knob and meh nut where teething issues On the first runs?
    It also had slipping tuners too but Novo guitars sent new some replacements so all’s good. 

I’m not sure I’d have been happy with it at £1000+, for that money you can get much better quality guitars but sub £700 I’m ok with it. 

Put it this way, it makes me play differently, no scratch that it doesn’t make me/force me that’s wrong......... it allows me to play differently, dynamics are a joy on it. I’m constantly finding new tones just by riding the controls. I’m also enjoying all the gain stages on it. It seems to handle everything. 

I love it because  it surprises me, I can’t remember the last time a guitar did that. 

I would urge anyone to try one but I would recommend trying one before buying so you can evaluate if it’s worth it to you or not. 

They are built well no issues there it’s just the all over plastic feel that lets it down some. 
    I may sand back my neck, as I’m not going to sell it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7108
    grungebob said:
    Blimey. 

Right so yes I bought one in the end and I do indeed love it, but it’s not without its quirks. 

The good: very light, very resonant , great range of tones and with a wonderful neck profile. Balances perfectly on the strap or lap. No hum from the P90’s even under bags of gain. 

The bad: it does feel a bit plasticky, the intonation is limited (that’s a design limitation not a fault of the build) the nut needed some slight work and the tone knobs on a bit wonky and again due to design the actions a tad higher than desired on the treble side. 

Mine was an older model and they don’t do this colour anymore so perhaps the wonky knob and meh nut where teething issues On the first runs?
    It also had slipping tuners too but Novo guitars sent new some replacements so all’s good. 

I’m not sure I’d have been happy with it at £1000+, for that money you can get much better quality guitars but sub £700 I’m ok with it. 

Put it this way, it makes me play differently, no scratch that it doesn’t make me/force me that’s wrong......... it allows me to play differently, dynamics are a joy on it. I’m constantly finding new tones just by riding the controls. I’m also enjoying all the gain stages on it. It seems to handle everything. 

I love it because  it surprises me, I can’t remember the last time a guitar did that. 

I would urge anyone to try one but I would recommend trying one before buying so you can evaluate if it’s worth it to you or not. 

They are built well no issues there it’s just the all over plastic feel that lets it down some. 
    I may sand back my neck, as I’m not going to sell it. 

thanks for the report bob, sounds like I need to make further investigations
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    edited July 2020
    The baritone is extremely versatile and cool as hell. We did this with it a few weeks ago: https://youtu.be/UXxk42uI-_8
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I was really close to buying a Combinata XVII recently but I got a Strat instead as I thought the Strat would be more of keeper. I still want to get the Rivolta at some point, the look and sound great.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited July 2020
    chrisv said:
    The baritone is extremely versatile and cool as hell. We did this with it a few weeks ago: https://youtu.be/UXxk42uI-_8
    Super! What's it tuned to? A? 
    Loobs said:
    chrisv said:
    Super! What's it tuned to? A? 
    B-B
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Cheers - sounds fantastic! 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    @chrisv Great video. Which edition was it reviewed in?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    @chrisv Great video. Which edition was it reviewed in?
    Thanks! The current one. Or you can read it here: https://guitar.com/review/the-big-review-rivolta-mondata-baritone-vii/
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Aaaah cheers. Got it but not read it yet - saving it for the weekend. Thanks @chrisv ;
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Threads useless without pictures right?

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    When I put a thread up on here recently looking for a H/H guitar the Rivolta brand was mentioned. Really liked the look of them via my online hunting. Will have to try one when I get to a shop in the future. They definitely look different & I think that’s part of the charm.  I agree about the scratchplates, they do look a little bit FischerPrice.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496
    edited July 2020
    grungebob said:
    Blimey. 

A fine review, I'd rather see one which includes all aspects good and bad as from my experiences all guitars will have a few quirks here and there and I'd rather buy a guitar after seeing such a review than one that would say it was perfect.
  • So I picked one up second hand for £625 recently. 

I’m super happy with it in all respects, except the plastic feel on the neck. 

Setup was really easy and no work needed, just adjusting to preference. The body looks great, with nice woods on show (although you can notice some slightly cheaper workmanships on the bindings than with a USA Gibson for example).The chambered weight is lovely, pickups sound amazing, neck access is a revelation. All around well built and sounds awesome. I like LP specials and jazzmasters and this seems to fit right in the middle, with some nice Rickenbacker references too…

…but the plastic chunky neck! It’s actually fine to play and super comfortable, but it just makes it all feel a bit cheaper…which is terrible as it’s so well designed and built in all other respects. Seriously, so many nice little design touches in terms of angles and guitar geometry.

Has anyone sanded back their neck already?

keep the rivolta love alive ❤️ 

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7875
    I’ve had the Mondata, and also own the Mondata Baritone. Excellent quality. 
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    So I picked one up second hand for £625 recently. 

I’m super happy with it in all respects, except the plastic feel on the neck. 

(Snipped)

…but the plastic chunky neck! It’s actually fine to play and super comfortable, but it just makes it all feel a bit cheaper…which is terrible as it’s so well designed and built in all other respects. Seriously, so many nice little design touches in terms of angles and guitar geometry.

Has anyone sanded back their neck already?

keep the rivolta love alive ❤️ 

Do you have to go that far? I got nice results on a Squier I had by just rubbing the neck with one of those plastic scouring pads. It gives a Matt finish but you can polish it back up to a gloss if desired.

Have never tried a Rivolta but there was a three pickup Mondata for sale on here a year or two ago that I was very tempted by. The pink/burgundy metallic finish looked wonderful and I liked the quirky, Firebirdy look and mad, 1950s vibe.