Albums you like the sound of

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Wynton Marsalis - Standard Time Volume 1 *

* I used a track from this album to demo a pair of Harbeth monitors I was selling. The guy bought the speakers maybe 2 minutes into the track.......

I'd heard that Tracey Chapman's debut album and Fleetwood Mac's "Tango in the night" were benchmarks for speaker testing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Kebabkid said:
    I'd heard that Tracey Chapman's debut album and Fleetwood Mac's "Tango in the night" were benchmarks for speaker testing.
    There was a point when I suppose I was a Hi-Fi nut and I eventually realised that speakers that sound great with female vocals are a good bet for long term listening.
    The Harbeths were very, very revealing (used by the BBC to monitor Eastenders I believe) and with well recorded trumpet were startling. But you have to decide if the purpose of your music system is for your mates to say "Holy Shit" at the visceral impact, or if it is for your long term listening pleasure and relaxation.So I now worry less about attaching spikes to every bit of equipment, or trying to count the  rivets on Bernard Purdie's Ride Cymbal.......and just listen to the music,

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Mike Oldfield's Songs Of Distant Earth would be a good one to test a system with. It's not a natural-sounding album but it has frequency extremes you rarely hear in 'acoustically' recorded music.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Zeppelin I

Exile on Main St
    Kebabkid said:

Go West - 1st album and Scritti Politti's "Cupid & Psyche".They're of their time but are good representations of 80s sounds and squeaky clean production. I always thought the Go West album sounded quite punchy.

Only know Go West's singles, but as for Scritti Politti I'd go with that 100%. I played that album recently and my wife was saying "this is so 80's!" in a half mocking way. But it certainly has its place and I do like the sound. 

Same thing with Miles Davis's Tutu from the mid-80's. For a long time i didm;t like it because I suppose I was on a backlash against the 80's synth gated drum sound thing. But I really like that kind of thing again, especially as it's done with taste.  

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4141
    Steve Miller Born to be blue.
    Neil Young Harvest Moon
    ZZ top Tejaz
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2014
    ICBM said:
    Mike Oldfield's Songs Of Distant Earth would be a good one to test a system with. It's not a natural-sounding album but it has frequency extremes you rarely hear in 'acoustically' recorded music.
    Good choice. I love the track with bible reading (not that I'm religious at all) but IIRC correctly it's a recording from one of the Apollo missions (was it Michael Collins?)

Haven't actually listened to that for ages though, I'll dig it out later. 

*Edit* Wiki tells me it was Bill Anders on Apollo 8
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    Talk Talk's The Colour of Spring, The Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock all sound fantastic. Beautifully recorded 'real' instruments and some atmospheric electronics.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I used* to like the sound of Electric by The Cult. For some wrong reasons, probably, but I like that very dry sort of demo tape sound and you can hear the overdubs come in and out. The complete lack of slickness works and at the same time it has a great energy - for me a production should always capture energy.

Given the period and the equipment some of the Blue Note stuff sounds amazingly good, same for Chess records. I used to listen to a lot of Chicago blues and the stuff on Chess just sounded so much better than other stuff from that period.  

I also used to listen to quite a few things on the ECM label, very accurately recorded modern jazz. I gave up on all this - it worked when I had a half decent hi fi set up but in the car or on my ipod with the 'sound' removed its just a bit people going poodlepoodlepoodlepoodle  

In recent times - Blak and Blue by Gary Clark Jr is fun soundwise, couple of tracks where they capture all the hiss of his fuzz pedal and its a real in the room type moment.

* as in haven't heard it for ages
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    Foo fighters Wasting light
    Vitually all of Scott Walker's stuff but probably Tilt has the best overall sound. A masterpiece.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Lixarto said:
    Funnily enough, I was looking at this the other day - the vinyl version. It was an 'audiophile direct recording' - seemed a bit pointless. Needless to say, I didn't buy it - I've heard it!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    What happens if the vinyl should get scratched? :-S
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    Lixarto;271950" said:
    What happens if the vinyl should get scratched? :-S
    It would be considered to be part of the performance...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The forthcoming Albums you don't like the sound of thread is going to be controversial I feel.....

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I've always lived the sound of Living Colour's Time's Up album. The snare sound on Type in particular is just brilliant.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Kevin Shirley's produced Iron Maiden Albums, Brave New World - Final Frontier. A little less raw, a bit smoother than Martin Birch productions.

Might just be better recording equipment, or my ears though.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6499
    mike_l said:

Kevin Shirley's produced Iron Maiden Albums, Brave New World - Final Frontier. A little less raw, a bit smoother than Martin Birch productions.

Might just be better recording equipment, or my ears though.

I agree. A Matter of Life of Geoff in particular sounds huuuuge to me. Maiden have never sounded as good as they do now.

@erictheweary Talking of older jazz stuff the Prestige stuff and anything done at the Van Gelder studios is good quality.

There's a Prestige cut of If I Were a Bell by Miles Davis where the bass level is right up there and pushes everything along.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Associated with Maiden, Tribe of Gypsies III by Tribe of Gypsies (features Roy Z, guitarist for Bruce Dickinson) is a great sounding record.  The Brazilian rhythms are great, and the percussion comes through particularly well.  Great album too.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited June 2014
    TALK TALK - Colour of Spring and It's My Life LPs

Strange Kind Of Love - Love and Money
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>