Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How times change (Old fogey content)

What's Hot
Just been on to sprog 2s school to collect her school laptop.  

When I were at skool, all I took 'ome were wotever I could nick from the supply cupboards, and t'only computers were big etc.
PSN id : snakey33stoo
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    School laptop? Yoof of today don't know they're born

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know.

She's currently being reminded why opening a box with a laptop in upside down is a bad idea.
  • They didn't have computers when I were at skool. We had to have our own slide rules and sets of log tables anyway.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • You were lucky
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24327
    It were bloody Logarithm books when I were in school.  Computers didn't even exist.  We'd go t'school at 4am, get thrashed by headmaster for 16 hours a day wi' no lunch and then on t'way 'ome, big gangs of school bullies would beat us t' 'pulp and then when we got in, father would beat us t'sleep wi' barbed wire.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Okay, I'm only 28, so I grew up with computers... basically had them in my life since day one! But school laptops? WTF...

Not like we could spend that money on other things like... er... teachers wages....
  • Emp_Fab said:
    It were bloody Logarithm books when I were in school.  Computers didn't even exist.  We'd go t'school at 4am, get thrashed by headmaster for 16 hours a day wi' no lunch and then on t'way 'ome, big gangs of school bullies would beat us t' 'pulp and then when we got in, father would beat us t'sleep wi' barbed wire.

Don't forget "Lickin t'road clean"

:D
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28328
    My school had BBC Bs. Then Macs. It is where I developed my deep loathing of all things Apple.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • It's not the school that pays for them, there's a complicated payment ownership system.  To be honest, Mrs Stoo deals with the monet, if I deal with money we end up cold and hungry but with loads of cool gadgets.

They started doing it so the school could claim space back from all the IT rooms that were needed, and there's online teaching content and some other stuff.
  • My 3 yo goes to nursey 3 days a week. He is fully versed in the use of iPad as well as finger paints.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

My 3 yo goes to nursey 3 days a week. He is fully versed in the use of finger paints.
    So more advanced than Carol then....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited September 2013

We never had computers or slide rules when I first went to school. I think in the last year there was a computer terminal in a room somewhere, but none of my contemporaries and I ever thought it would catch on.

All the teachers wore black capes and mortar boards, were required to possess first class honours degrees in sadism, otherwise they'd never have been employed, and they relished the thought of a pupil caning session. They prided themselves in the accuracy of their wooden blackboard rubber throwing skills, as I found out all to often.

Reggie the music teacher was later exposed as a smallie-boy nonce, and one of the French teachers was so despised, a contingent of pupils broke into the school one night and managed to set fire to his classroom, which had the effect of no French lessons for a little while, hence achieving at least a partial success.

During my time there, the old chemistry laboratory had to be rebuilt when it was razed to the ground by fire. Arson was suspected, but no-one was ever caught. The physics laboratory (always referred to as "the new physics lab"), also suffered the same fate, although this was prior to my arrival.

Needless to say I wasn't exactly a model pupil, and thus spent rather a lot of time stood outside the headmaster's study, awaiting a beating. The final time was when I'd managed to somehow break a blackboard, and was stood there with a lad called Oli, who had bravely climbed up to the bell-tower on top of the main building, shinned up the flagpole, and tied one of his mum's bras to the top of it. I don't know why he did it, though.

They say that your schooldays are the happiest of your life, but I hated every bloody minute of it, and couldn't wait to leave. Oh, and school dinners were shite. Total shite.

I imagine that schools today are a rather more accommodating, friendly place, and teachers are rather less sadistic.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

At my old school there was various indescretions committed.

Someone (not me) stole all the flags from the golf course (literally) next to the school, and dotted them around the Science Block roof.

A mobile classroom was burnt down (again not by me).

A girl from my year set fire to a deputy heads office, she did 18 months.

The Science block was set fire to twice. The first was a minor little fire, the second  literally burned the place to the ground.

And there was an RE teacher who liked looking down girls tops and up their skirts, who had narrowly avoided prosecution for sexual assault.

• @chillidoggy The prime requirement at our school wasn't a First in Sadism, it was a Masters in Pettiness. It was a FAR WORSE crime to have the wrong socks, shirt etc than it was to use violence. Not having a tie on was the worst crime of all but nobody gave a shit when stuff that belonged to me was nicked.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Col_Decker;28539" said:
    My 3 yo goes to nursey 3 days a week. He is fully versed in the use of iPad as well as finger paints.
    Both at the same time if you're unlucky...
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited September 2013
    Emp_Fab said:
    It were bloody Logarithm books when I were in school.  
    I believe we would have been in the same school year.  
    While it was "log books only" at O-Level, (1980) calculators were allowed 1 year later for A and A/O level work (and exams)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    when I was at school they didn't even have writing.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    it shows
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    bertie said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    It were bloody Logarithm books when I were in school.  
    I believe we would have been in the same school year.  
    While it was "log books only" at O-Level, (1980) calculators were allowed 1 year later for A and A/O level work (and exams)
    We used calculators for O Level Maths in 1978, I think we may have been the second year to have been allowed them (University of London syllabus). I still remember the smell of the Texas Instruments calculator I had and its red LED readout. It used to have to "think" for a couple of seconds for complex functions.

But we used logbooks for several years beforehand. Computers were the stuff of science fiction.
    we were Oxbridge............... casio FX-80     for me