The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22132
    edited June 2021
    25 overs in the first two hours. That's seriously shit. 

Wood is a funny one because he's the reverse Woakes in that his away record is really good and his home record really isn't. 

H: 11 Tests, 24 wickets at 45.83, SR of 78.5
    A: 6 Tests, 23 wickets at 22.78, SR of 46.1
    N: 2 Tests, 6 wickets at 28.33, SR of 62.8. 

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/351588.html?class=1;home_or_away=1;template=results;type=bowling

If you go by his last five Tests at home: 

Five Tests, 5 wickets at 82 at a SR of 147. 

By means of comparison as to how shit this really is, I present Ian Salisbury's home Test figures:

8 Tests, 9 wickets at 93.33, SR of 150.8. 

Now I'm not saying Mark Wood is on the Salisbury level of awfulness but when we have so many stats to go by what the rationale for his selection was. Is it a case of him having a poor home average because he's not been used in the right way yet we have found the way to use him overseas? It rather touches on this development aspect and whether roles for bowlers was ever really established under Bayliss. 

NB: and we keep the spinner dilemma going as Leach has a better home average than away average and yet hasn't played a home Test since September 2019. If we're going for a horses for courses approach, then I'm not understanding how they're grading all the horses. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    TBF that includes at least one home test where for some mad reason he played despite not being fully fit. 

I think there's a good argument that having someone with that sort of pace benefits the other bowlers, even if Wood himself isn't taking wickets.
    Having said that I'm surprised they didn't include Mahmood in the squad, he bowled superbly in that Roses match last week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    If anyone has nothing better to do this Sunday, I'm skippering the Duke of Norfolk v The Arabs at Arundel Castle.

We're strong.....in fact my only captaincy decision will be "Which end do you want, Chris Peploe?".....but all of my side has FC or MCCA experience.

If anyone fancies it, inbox me and I'll try and sort a ticket or two out.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Lucky you, Arundel is a beautiful ground! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Stuckfast said:
    TBF that includes at least one home test where for some mad reason he played despite not being fully fit. 

I think there's a good argument that having someone with that sort of pace benefits the other bowlers, even if Wood himself isn't taking wickets.
    Here's an interesting quirk then. 

Tests Wood has played where Jimmy Anderson has been absent versus Tests where JA has played alongside Wood:

5 Tests, 17 wickets at 22, SR of 46.6
    14 Tests, 36 wickets at 39.44, SR of 70.2

Interestingly, Broad has been in the side for 17 of Wood's 19 Tests. Wood's record when playing with Broad is practically identical to his overall career record. 

So could you make the case that having Anderson in the side means Root doesn't utilise Wood as well as he does when JA is missing? 

See, I have no idea why both of the old boys are playing in this Test. It's a meaningless series, it's a warmup to the winter, we learn nothing and gain nothing from having both of them play. We need to find another attack leader outside of these two and we won't find one if the old boys keep opening the attack. 

Stuckfast said:
    Lucky you, Arundel is a beautiful ground! 
    My 131st game there. I am genuinely honoured. Played at the Parks on Friday and have Lords in August. #blessed

That's 129 more than me. I think our friendly side got quietly dropped from the Arundel schedules for not being good enough, but it was fun while it lasted.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14249
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    If anyone has nothing better to do this Sunday, I'm skippering the Duke of Norfolk v The Arabs at Arundel Castle.

We're strong.....in fact my only captaincy decision will be "Which end do you want, Chris Peploe?".....but all of my side has FC or MCCA experience.

If anyone fancies it, inbox me and I'll try and sort a ticket or two out.
    I'm at Leeds that day - But enjoy and looks like the weather will be good - I've seen that ground and it looks very nice - Am I right in saying that years ago, touring countries would play the odd match there against an invitation X1 - Maybe before today's heavy schedules inc ODI and T20 - But few if any play county matches now as well
    Cricketing FBers: Using

LOL= no interest
    WOW= waiting to see
    Wiz= very interested

...describe your thoughts on the 100.

Me- a huge LOL.

6reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have say very interested from the perspective of how the ECB are going to spin any commercial disaster. Absolutely zero interest in the on-pitch action but lots of interests in the desperate PR spinning stakes. 

Well, I might have a laugh at the outfits too. 

I have say very interested from the perspective of how the ECB are going to spin any commercial disaster. Absolutely zero interest in the on-pitch action but lots of interests in the desperate PR spinning stakes. 

Well, I might have a laugh at the outfits too. 

If only Dom Bess could spin it as well as Tom Harrison

And the younger guard have opened the door immensely this morning. 

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Kiwis now 9 down, great effort from our bowlers.

As ever, it remains to be seen if this is a par score for this track. 

I love test cricket! 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14249
    tFB Trader
    Good recovery today by the lads
    Uh oh, Wagner's teeing off. 
    Summer is here: the smell of cut grass, bees buzzing, and Stuart Broad giving the world a double teapot. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Summer is here: the smell of cut grass, bees buzzing, and Stuart Broad giving the world a double teapot. 
    ... and Root at the crease before we've got 20 on the scoreboard. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    ... and Root at the crease before we've got 20 on the scoreboard. 

See, things can get back to normal after Covid.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I never knew that Lovejoy was qualified to play for New Zealand.