Ear Plugs

What's Hot
Hi all,

I wasn't too sure where to post this but as it's specifically about ear plugs for guitar players, I thought here would be ok!

Here's the thing. I've started playing again in a band after about 30 years. My eyesight has done the usual thing we older gents get (ie: it's buggered!)

I didn;t want my ears going the same way, so I decided to buy some ear plugs.

This is what I got:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0034ZI9AQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now they do indeed protect my ears. I can also hear vocals, drums and bass through them quite clearly just quieter.

Thing is, my guitar doesn't cut through. It sounds really quiet. When I take the ear plugs out, I can tell it's as loud, if not louder, than everyone else. So it seems these ear plugs cancel out the range that the guitar sound sits in.

So my question is this. What ear plugs are fellow guitarists using that they are happy with?

Mine are ok, I just feel that maybe there is something out there that could be better for guitarists.

Thanks
Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited August 2014
    I'm using those at present. For an alternative, the alpine music pro ones are cheap and have multiple filter choices, you probably just need to try one of the lighter ones. Beyond that the price jump gets very high for custom moulds - which are supposed to be flatter in attenuation.
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited August 2014
    It's custom earplugs or in-ear monitors really mate, neither of which are cheap, but they're certainly effective.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10453

If your playing with normal drums at normal band volume then you gotta use something or your right, your gonna end up with damaged hearing. A lot of my friends have shagged their hearing now after years of gigging, i'm lucky I switched to IEM's before mine got damaged. Like @thisisguitar said it's custom moulds or IEM's ...... they take some getting used to but I wouldn't want to gig without em now
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • It's custom earplugs or in-ear monitors really mate, neither of which are cheap, but they're certainly effective.
    Thanks. I don't mind paying if they work so if you know any models you'd recommend then I'd be happy to "hear" them :)
  • Thanks. I'll take a look. For £20, it's worth just buying and trying.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    edited August 2014
    If you're micing the backline then you can use IEMs (In Ear Monitors) and take a mix from the desk. If you're not micing the backline and you want everything to sound as it should, with all frequencies intact, but quieter then you need some customer earplugs with filters.

I have taken the second option and use custom ACS plugs from here:

They take out 25dB which means you can really go full tilt in the band and still end up with no ringing after a couple of hours playing. They are not completely flat in their response but I'm pretty sure nothing is. However, it's as close as you can get to just being able to turn the whole volume down.

They're not cheap; mine were about £160 about three years ago, but they do take a custom mould specifically for your ear canal and then they'll come back to the audiologist to get the fitting. I would never ever gig without them or go to a gig without them. Your hearing, once damaged, will never recover so you have to look after it. For me it's the best musical investment I ever made.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8753
    edited August 2014
    Earlier this year I switched from standard ER20 plugs to ACS custom moulds which have a much flatter response across the frequencies. The effect was phenomenal. Previously I used plugs when in noisy environments, and at other peoples' gigs, but not when I was playing because of the way it cut my guitar signal. With the custom moulds and filters this is no longer a problem. 

If £120 for custom moulds sounds expensive compared with £10 for ER20s then divide the price by your remaining life expectancy (which is how long you want to maintain your hearing). You'll probably end up with less than a penny per day, which a pint of beer per year.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had positive comments about ACS from friends I trust. 

As far as in-ears, I'm using a pair of M-Audio IE-20-XB earpieces without custom moulds and a rather cheap Karsect wireless system, which is actually very good and is really good on batteries. Picked up the wireless for less than £200 used, and my mate gave me the earpieces. Shure make some good earpieces starting at reasonable prices btw.

edited August 2014

I've just ordered some 2 pack silicon to make my own moulds, hopefully they will turn out well and I then I'm gonna install some Senn drivers in them. At the moment I'm down to normal in-ear buds running off an A&H ME1 having broke all my real IEMs 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27185
    ACS custom moulds.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Roland;328410" said:
    Earlier this year I switched from standard ER20 plugs to ACS custom moulds which have a much flatter response across the frequencies. The effect was phenomenal. Previously I used plugs when in noisy environments, and at other peoples' gigs, but not when I was playing because of the way it cut my guitar signal. With the custom moulds and filters this is no longer a problem. 

If £120 for custom moulds sounds expensive compared with £10 for ER20s then divide the price by your remaining life expectancy (which is how long you want to maintain your hearing). You'll probably end up with less than a penny per day, which a pint of beer per year.
    A friend of mine tells me that really you need to get new ones about every 5 years, this is because your ears and nose are the only things on the body that never stop growing and the fit will become loose over time..
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Another shout for ACS Pro 17s great when playing or at a gig everything is crystal but at a sensible volume. £140 is steep but you only get one set of ears. Buy some!
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Yup, I'm an ACS Pro 17 user, and recommend them highly. Took a bit of getting used to if I'm honest, but couldn't live without them now. I'd actually like to try a lower level of attenuation with them too, but I think the 17s are OK for now.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Acs pro 17s for me too. They're brilliant. The er20s are fine, my favourite of the budget pairs. But they do seem to attenuate the midrange frequencies a little more which is where guitar tends to sit.
  • I'm using the Alpine ones.  They're certainly WAY better than cheap industrial plugs and not expensive.  I don't find it hard to hear myself when playing, although it's not quite as clear as without - worst thing for me is talking with them in, sounds really odd.  I have thought of investing in some proper moulded ones but not got round to it yet.

Alpines or ACS ER20 seem to be the most popular less-expensive plugs.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 366
    ACS pros custom moulds or ACS pacato series which are cheap and have more of a flat attenuation curve so you won't miss much of your high mids.

Lost my pacatos somewhere in Cornwall unfortunately and can't afford custom moulds atm.

They work fine but I experienced some pain and discomfort from wearing them but I lost them before I got used to them.
    Other users didn't seem to have any probs with them tho..
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I've used the Alpine ones for a while and they're great. I don't wear them when I'm playing a gig but if I'm at a gig, or at practice I use them.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Roland said:

I'd be more than happy to pay £1000 for a set of custom moulds. In fact if I could turn the clock back prior to my hearing damage, I'd pay 90% of my budget on ear protection, and the rest on guitar, amp and FX.

In my case it took one gig out of 1000's to take out the hearing in my left ear and replace it with severe tinnitus.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:

I'd be more than happy to pay £1000 for a set of custom moulds. In fact if I could turn the clock back prior to my hearing damage, I'd pay 90% of my budget on ear protection, and the rest on guitar, amp and FX.

In my case it took one gig out of 1000's to take out the hearing in my left ear and replace it with severe tinnitus.

This is why I'm always banging on about low stage volume, mic up the guitar, use IEM's etc The damage can be permant and like you say your hearing is more important than all your gear put together 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom