Any Triathletes here?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    BigMonka said:
    @joneve how did the open water swim go?
    Cold! But epic, wish I'd done it sooner. Wetsuit did a great job too! Was a comfortable temperature (or as comfortable as you can be in 12 degree water!) on all parts that the wetsuit covered, once the initial shock had gone away! Really impressed for £90. 

Should be going most weekends until the day of the Triathlon in July now. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24442
    I'm a Try-athlete.  I tried it once.... hated it.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28343
    joneve said:
    BigMonka said:
    Cold! But epic, wish I'd done it sooner. Wetsuit did a great job too! Was a comfortable temperature (or as comfortable as you can be in 12 degree water!) on all parts that the wetsuit covered, once the initial shock had gone away! Really impressed for £90. 

I've always wanted to try open water swimming but I just couldn't justify £90
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    so, Triathletes - is that like Trisexuals?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    joneve said:
    BigMonka said:

It *is* a lot of money, but Wiggle have made it a lot more accessible, as you never used to be able to get a decent open water wet suit for much less than £200. 

I also can't justify it, but it just so happens to be my birthday, so I asked for it as a birthday present, so the timing was perfect. 

If you like swimming, I cannot recommend it enough, it was absolutely exhilarating 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    I've never done open water swimming anywhere inland, but until my 20s I was a regular surfer down on the South coast so used to spend loads swimming in the English Channel - it really is great fun. Amazing how much more tiring it is than a pool when doing the same distance though.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • JohnnyPlectrumJohnnyPlectrum Frets: 334
    edited April 2017
    I too have the DHB wetsuit - superb value for money.

I was told peeing in it was encouraged although you're meant to be in the water first...

Start easy - pool based sprint events followed by open water sprint events etc and see how you get on.
    Don't go straight for IM or even HIM until you know you can dedicate the training time.
    Personally my target is HIM as that's a realistic level of dedication for me.

I've cycled heavily for a long time and I'm now at the half-marathon running stage.
    My swimming is pants and I'm being coached at the local tri club to improve.

Just remember, no-one wins a triathlon on the swim.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28343
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    joneve said:
    BigMonka said:

It *is* a lot of money, but Wiggle have made it a lot more accessible, as you never used to be able to get a decent open water wet suit for much less than £200. 

I also can't justify it, but it just so happens to be my birthday, so I asked for it as a birthday present, so the timing was perfect. 

If you like swimming, I cannot recommend it enough, it was absolutely exhilarating 
    Yeah, big on swimming. I've been swimming over 1k 5 days a week before work for the past 4 years. Not sure where there's any open water swimming around me though.
    axisus said:
    joneve said:
    axisus said:
    joneve said:
    BigMonka said:

Yeah, big on swimming. I've been swimming over 1k 5 days a week before work for the past 4 years. Not sure where there's any open water swimming around me though.
    Whereabouts are you? Bound to be somewhere! 

If I'd love to get to the pool every morning before work but I have to settle for a 3 mile dog walk instead. 
    Ancient thread revival!
    I ran my first marathon at the weekend, have done a bunch of really long cycles, and have spent a decent amount of time in the local river so I'm back on thinking about triathlons 5 years later!

Anyone got any recent thoughts from the world of triathlon. I'm not particularly interested in speed (and the specific training that requires) so thought I might sign up for a half iron/middle distance/70.3 distance where getting round the route is more the achievement than the time you do it in!
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonka said:
    Ancient thread revival!
    I ran my first marathon at the weekend, have done a bunch of really long cycles, and have spent a decent amount of time in the local river so I'm back on thinking about triathlons 5 years later!

Anyone got any recent thoughts from the world of triathlon. I'm not particularly interested in speed (and the specific training that requires) so thought I might sign up for a half iron/middle distance/70.3 distance where getting round the route is more the achievement than the time you do it in!
    Do some shorter ones first, so you can learn the quirks of transitions, figure out kit needs, and find out how doing 3 sports consecutively feels on your body. People do BRICK sessions to get used to it - bike at high tempo then swap to running. Your legs will feel weird at first.

Join a club maybe where you can meet others and Jean some tricks of the trade. They'll also have good tips on which events are good for a novice. 
    BigMonka said:
    Ancient thread revival!

Do some shorter ones first, so you can learn the quirks of transitions, figure out kit needs, and find out how doing 3 sports consecutively feels on your body. People do BRICK sessions to get used to it - bike at high tempo then swap to running. Your legs will feel weird at first.

Join a club maybe where you can meet others and Jean some tricks of the trade. They'll also have good tips on which events are good for a novice. 
    Good insight, thanks. I'd not heard of a BRICK session so I'll definitely read up about those. I should have said that I did a duathlon last year (run-bike-run) which was fun and gave a taste of changing sports.
    I'll do a search for local clubs but I'm so used to training by myself whenever I want to that it might be a bit of a culture shock doing it with others at set times!
    some good comments from RTB. Definitely do a few shorter distance ones to get a feel. 

It's a great sport, but can become addictive and expensive :D 

Fortunately I've had no desire to really exercise, let alone do any more triathlons, since my Ironman 3 years ago (bike still needs a wash :-|)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joneve said:
    some good comments from RTB. Definitely do a few shorter distance ones to get a feel. 

Fortunately I've had no desire to really exercise, let alone do any more triathlons, since my Ironman 3 years ago (bike still needs a wash :-|)
    I empathise. For me, lockdown and a stressful job combined to push exercise way down my list of things I had time for. Both are now gone so I'm getting back on it. I enjoy being active and fit, I like the personal challenge of finishing an event or reaching a milestone or pace. I hope you can get back on it, if only to wash that damn bike.
    joneve said:

sounds like the perfect excuse needed to buy a new bike  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    joneve said:

I empathise. For me, lockdown and a stressful job combined to push exercise way down my list of things I had time for. Both are now gone so I'm getting back on it. I enjoy being active and fit, I like the personal challenge of finishing an event or reaching a milestone or pace. I hope you can get back on it, if only to wash that damn bike.
    I've never really enjoyed cycling - it's a mean to an end for me. Too much faff that goes along with it (all the kit you have to wear to be comfortable, the maintaining/cleaning etc). 

I'll (hopefully) get back into running, as it's much easier - bang on your shoes and off you go. I have unfinished marathon business, as the only one I've done was at the end of my IM and it was a long slog. I'd love to do one and make it round in 4 hours or so. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @joneve I'm almost the opposite, though I'm learning to enjoy running. I don't think I'll do a marathon, too much pain.