Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Paul Weller Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Love the earlier solo stuff. Saw him live on the Stanley Road and Heavy Soul tours, both great gigs. Sort of lost interest after that, and I've never really given the Jam/Style Council a fair chance, I keep meaning too though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    @Iamnobody

Where does the following phrase come from?

Tea and toast by Calvin Most.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Wow

I know I'm commenting on my own post but that performance gave me goose bumps and tears. What a song, what a voice.

Truly one of my 8 desert island discs....

• Gassage;351249" said:
    @Iamnobody

Sorry you've outJammed me!

Previously known as stevebrum
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited September 2014
    Iamnobody said:

...who doesn't own a copy of Stanley Road?!

Er, me..

Jam was one of my first gigs. Great band. Couldn't stand Style Council, and the solo stuff I've heard is ok-ish, imho..

edit: And I can't understand anyone fancying him - and the wife agrees!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Iamnobody said:
    Gassage;351249" said:
    @Iamnobody

Read All Mod Cons sleeve notes!!

Calvin Most was a runner at Polydor and Weller famously signs into hotels as "Calvin Most' to this day.

• Gassage;351283" said:
    Iamnobody said:

Gassage;351249" said:@Iamnobody

Read All Mod Cons sleeve notes!!

Calvin Most was a runner at Polydor and Weller famously signs into hotels as "Calvin Most' to this day.
    Ah well - I've only got Setting Sons, Sound Affects, Wasteland, Compact Snap, at the BBC and Extras as standalone albums. Oh and a couple of live bootlegs.

The rest are on this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0000076ET/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1410628525&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

So I've got everything but not necessarily in the right order.

Being a youth (or not born) when they charted I got into them late!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I didn't like the Jam, didn't like the style council and didn't like his solo stuff. I thought weller was the most 'up himself' musician in the uk. But the years rolled by, and I finally realised that the jam were an amazing band, the style council were also superb (really feels like summer music to me) and his solo stuff was very good as well. So I gues you can count me as an admirer, if not quite a fan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry, I can't get on the weller love train. IMHO He's a serial plagiarist who hasn't contributed a single original idea in any of his music and is the musical equivalent of a tape worm. Professes to be a 'modernist' but has had both feet firmly rooted in the past throughout his career. His records are a bit like listening to the rutles but not as funny.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    edited September 2014
    Go on - get on the love train. You can be middle carriage between Weller & Mick...

I was waiting for someone to play the plagiarist card.

I'm not going to try and defend it either - he's not afraid to borrow something and run with it. And most likely create a hit record!

But most artists borrow from their influences surely?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9610
    edited September 2014
    I think Ive seen every Weller Tour since 1980... An incredible, and in all reality, underrated artist...

You know, I'm one of these rare people these days who actually believe in God, and I can tell you - seeing The Jam live was one of the most amazing spiritual experiences I have ever encountered. All music is spiritual imho; but The Jam were incredible; truly life changing. I was very fortunate to see them 4 times live, and no other artist has ever come close..,

Incredible, passsionate, full of integrity, soulful, life shattering power.

Lyrically, one of the best songwriters ever. I still miss The Jam even now... Granted, we've had some leaner times as Weller fans recently - with some disappointing solo stuff....

None the less, that simple three piece band, made me think about life, love and belief at a young age. And that, is very powerful stuff. Three chords and the truth, as they say...

Don't forget you saw it here first...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited September 2014
    I can accept The Jam made music that reflected the time - though for all it's anger directed at the establishment, The Specials' Ghost Town encapsulated a whole period of history in one song....

The Style Council? Never got it at all....

Solo stuff has had its moments.

Now he strikes me as a man wearing a hair-style unbefitting his age.... He's starting to look a little embarrassing IMO.... He seems to be a permanent fixture on every series of 'Later' - and represents 'Dad Rock' to balance the newer acts....
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9610
    edited September 2014
    Sorry, I can't get on the weller love train. IMHO He's a serial plagiarist who hasn't contributed a single original idea in any of his music and is the musical equivalent of a tape worm. Professes to be a 'modernist' but has had both feet firmly rooted in the past throughout his career. His records are a bit like listening to the rutles but not as funny.

Each to his own my friend, and I understand that Weller's arrogance can promote such views....

Just for the record, 'modernist' refers to a rise in consciouness; and more important, the whole ethos of the 'Mod' movement - building something new, inspired by the past, full of soul and purpose, clean living under difficult circumstances...

For example, "what's the point is saying destroy... I want a new life for everywhere"

• Iamnobody said:
    Go on - get on the love train. You can be middle carriage between Weller & Mick...

I was waiting for someone to play the plagiarist card.

I'm not going to try and defend it either - he's not afraid to borrow something and run with it. And most likely create a hit record!

But most artists borrow from their influences surely?
    Haha! I can't stand Mick Talbot either, met him once, introduced by a friend in common, and he was very rude for no apparent reason, so that's a definite no!

I agree that most artists do borrow from their influences but the truly talented ones bring something of their own to the party and integrate the two together to produce their own distinctive voice, David Bowie being a great example. Weller has never done anything other than wear his influences much too loudly and proudly on his sleeve so as to drown out the sound of whatever scrap of originality may be lurking beneath, which suggests to me that the scraps aren't that big.

As @Wazmeister says, each to his own. I'm sure I like lots of artists/bands that would draw similar criticisms from folks like myself. I was hugely surprised to find that I really like Florence and the Machine... Kate Bush wannabe anyone?

Just to respond to Wazmeister's comments on the Mod movement, perhaps Weller isn't a Mod after all as not much of that very eloquently put description applies to him, asides from the inspired by the past bit...
    Sorry, I can't get on the weller love train. IMHO He's a serial plagiarist who hasn't contributed a single original idea in any of his music and is the musical equivalent of a tape worm. Professes to be a 'modernist' but has had both feet firmly rooted in the past throughout his career. His records are a bit like listening to the rutles but not as funny.
    I so disgree with you. Weller's early rebellious energy was as big as anything that came out of the punk/new wave era. he is a brilliant songwriter, both facets of songwriting.

He really is a crown jewel of British music, albeit an under-rated one.

• @richardhomer great article about the recording of Ghost Town http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov11/articles/classic-tracks-1111.htm . Interesting watching a documentary about Paul Weller how influenced he was by Dr Feelgood, a little link that never fell into place before I saw that. His fascination with the mod period came a bit later as I understand it. One of those people rather on the periphery of my musical interests usually but having played scooter rallies and mod nights in the last few years I've become more familiar. One of those people capable of writing great guitar based songs so he'll be enshrined in the outpourings of cover bands for evermore.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Brilliant artist always go and see him when he plays.

• I'll just pop this here. Beware he's reaching Chuck Berry levels of out of tune-ness toward the end.
  • NervousJohn;351564" said:

Beware he's reaching Chuck Berry levels of out of tune-ness toward the end.
    The plagiaristic bastard...
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom