Stupid rubbish neutrik locking jack socket of not nice.

What's Hot
Does anyone know if a standard les paul jack socket can directly replace the neutrik locking jack in regard to the body routing on a 2008 Lp? It really starting to get on my tits now!
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Yes, although you'll need to plug and re-drill the screw holes. The standard LP jack plate (get a metal one, not plastic) is larger than the Neutrik so it will completely cover the old marks.

Those Neutrik jacks are great though.

... on speaker cabinets.

Complete pain in the arse on a guitar, I agree. If you loop your cable through the strap like you're supposed to they're totally unnecessary.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I had one installed on a Carvin I owned. The original one was terrible and my leads kept falling out. Never happened with the neutrix, loved it.
  • The neutrik is set into a rebate, will the standard socket cover the whole rebate or sit flush into it? Who the f**k thought that it would be a good idea to do this anyway. They need an almighty slap! Sorry,rant over. Twat.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16686
    I used them on a few guitars before deciding they were pointless.

if you stand on your lead you risk pulling the whole lot out of the guitar rather than the lead just popping out.

if its recessed i would make a new plate to fit in the recess and mount a standard jack socket to that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep that sounds sensible wez, cheers!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Sorry, I just compared the sizes and the bore diameter, I forgot that the jack is set into the wood. I'm pretty sure the standard jackplate will cover the recess with enough of an overlap that it will be well-supported, though - it's quite a bit wider in one direction and slightly in the other.

If it won't, I'd be inclined to do the opposite from Wez and make a wood insert to fill the recess flush.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep that could work too, cheers ICBM!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • After a couple of minutes deliberation, I think I prefer wez's idea, no offence ICBM. But it will leave the guitar with no extra holes and all original just incase I move the guitar on and some numpty decides it would be better with the neutrik back in there!
    The Swamp City Shakers
     I was about to say the same about moving it on.

I am not sure i see the reason for going for a wood insert (curved on one side, flat on the other, most likely glued to a roughly painted surface or if you clear out the paint its a weak end grain join) and/or  a permanent mod (extra holes outside the original recess)

the only advantage I can see is it would be a bit closer to an ordinary les paul in an area no one ever looks at very long

here is a pic for anyone who is unsure what we are talking about

One permanent mod I would do with the new plate going in the recess is add a screw to each corner, I am okay with this as it will all be covered if the original needs to be put back